Expensive Day

Turbycat

Well it was a beautiful morning here in (almost) sunny Hertfordshire. Took my Wot 4 XL and Ryan STA out for an airing. Went to have a go with the Wot first. Fueled up, fired up, warmed up. Opened the throttle to check the top end and BANG. On looking the prop rotated very freely through most of it's arc but then bound up. Hmm I thought. That doesn't feel to clever .
Put the WOT to one side and had 4 nice flights with Ryan. It even managed to stay on its feet on one landing. (because of our grass it tends to nose over as it comes to a stop!)
Got home and strippped the engine out of the Wot. On break down I found that the big end pin (pardon my jargon) had sheared off of the crankshaft. The engine hasn't been mistreated and as far as I can recall hasn't had any ground strikes with the prop at a significant rpm. The engine was an ASP 91 2 stroke driving a 15 X 6 prop. It has always been a good starter and has never missed a beat. Just a bit puzzled as to why this happened.
Oh well I guess it's time to ring Just Engines and try out these NGH petrol engines. I might just convert the rest of my glow stuff to petrol after Christmas as well.

Advert

Yeah just got to put it down to a failure Shame really was new this year. I'll have a good look at the remains tomorrow just to see if I can see anything but I doubt my non technical eye will tell me much. Oh well time to tell the misus what I want for Christmas!

Andy

I bought it privately. It was un run and with all original packaging but I have no idea when it was originally purchased. So I guess it would be difficult to chase up a warranty claim. I have an older 91 which has a knackered carb so I'm going to see if the carb will fit that one. It's not just the crank but the conrod is damaged too and I guess if I'm going to fit a new crank I'll have to put new bearings in as well. I'll price up the bits but I'd be surprised if it's worth it.

Andy

If it was an OS, from my direct experience, Ripmax would honour a proven manufacturing defect regardless of age, purchase history etc.. My experiences with the SC importer haven't been so positive but it would be worth approaching them.

The engine involved had a similar history - bought from an ex club member selling up, several years old but un-run.

Yeah thats finally my opinion too. It has performed faultlessly for since I got it early this year. It has had plenty of use but wasn't making any strange noises and all the bearings seemed fine. It has helped me make my mind up tho'. I'll be going all petrol in my planes now. Especially the WOT 4 XL as I'll be rigging it up for aerotowing as soon as I find out how. Some of the guys from the club have half completed gliders and as it's pretty flat where we are they have decided my Wot will make a good tug. So it's going to get a good petrol up front.
I have an older ASP 91 with the barrel shaped carb (which was not working right and left in my cupboard) and replaced it with this newer carb. Now that engine runs great. So I'm going to put 3 of my glow engines up for sale to put towards a petrol.

Andy

Posted by Turbycat on 29/11/2011 18:50:10:
which was not working right and left in my cupboard
Andy

That's were you're going wrong TC - they don't work right and left - its up an down mate. Oh, and while we're on the subject, a word to the wise, its best not to run your engines in any direction whilst in a cupboard - I find it tends to upset the 'domestic authorities' if you know what I mean

BEB