Push Moth as a trainer ?

Anthony Billings

Hi all,
I really fancy building my own trainer, I have built a couple of balsa models many years ago as a lad, and would like to get into it again. I like the look of the Push Moth and don't forsee any major stumbling blocks in the actual build, so my question is, is this model suitable as a trainer ?. From my limited knowledge and from reading much on this forum it seems to me that it may suit, a good bit of dihedral for stability, originaly designed for rubber power free flight so must be fairly benign in the air. So people, any thoughts on this ? and if not thought of as suitable as a trainer, any thoughts on a suitable balsa trainer fitted out for electric flight ?

Tony

Advert

Hi Anthony, don't really know enough about the Push Moth in regards to wingspan etc, you need some thing in the area of 60 inches span. Dont let me put you off though. If you enter Push Moth in the search box as a keyword, I think ther e is some information regarding, the installation for electric  flight  etc. Cheers.

Edited By fly boy3 on 02/12/2011 20:33:55

hello anthony--the puss moth is a really nice model-But not one i would recommend for a trainer.......... too much to repair when you come in too fast/heavy etc.....go for some thing a bit hardier ...... me-i would go for a Wot 4...or a arising star...using an ic engine - not battery/electric...for the electic route you'll need a fair few batts...to keep your self flying...ic is what i would say is the most practical....until you master the basics....

ken anderson ne..1 ........ master the basic dept.

Ken, He said Push Moth, not Puss Moth. A Boddington design that actually looks like Pushy Cat and there is a build blog or article on the Forum. .049 pusher powered.

Looks to be about 40" with ailerons. Not ideal as a trainer but would probably be quite docile if one was trying to learn on ones own.

The aileron linkage is interesting.

I don't like pushers, seen too many accidents when the prop is in an unsual place

Edited By Peter Miller on 03/12/2011 09:01:39

Hi Tony I don't really know much about the push moth. I do know that Boddington designs are very good. I also know that a trainer is best quite big, 'cos you can see what it's doing more easily. Also it seems to fly slower. ie 60" plus wingspan is good

I think it's much better to build your own, or at least get a kit. I'm not too keen on the ready to fly stuff, If you build an airframe yourself, you really understant what it's all about, and the feeling of achievement is so much more

Finally, this forum is just great, huge amounts of great advice

ernie

Hi Guy's,
thanks for the replies,

Ken. Still want to go electric, I have a number of lipo's from my helicopters which would keep me flying.
As for sudden arrivals, that is why I would like to go the trad balsa and tissue route, have never used solarfilm or any of the modern coverings before and I think a trad build may make it easier for me to repair.

fb3 & Ernie. So possibly on the small size for a trainer, so will keep looking for suitable plans, I am a sucker for the vintage look stuff so will keep you all posted if I find something, sadly it will have to wait till the end of Jan now as I have to go back to work abroad and will not be back till then.

Tony

Forget tissue. One knock and it splits.

Go for Solarfilm Supershrink Polyester. Reall great, not heat sensitive, doesn't sag in hot weather. very easy to apply and also easy to repair.

If you don't want to buy a covering iron use a small domestic iron. Noit the wife's best, she will kill you if you get the adhesive on the sole.

I never use anything else these days.

Hi Ken,
yes the powered glider is an option I am looking at as well, there are enough places in my area to fly one.

Peter, will have a look at this solarfilm as oposed to tissue.

Have been looking through the RCME plans, and have seen plans for a trainer called "Tranquiliser" which may hit the spot although a google search has not brought up any info on it, so it may be the powered glider to start with and then move on to something like this vintage build.

Tony

I've seen too many people spend days and weeks building something only to crash it and promptly give up. So personally there's no way I'd try learning to fly on something I'd taken hours carefully building. Okay I eventually learnt on a Hiboy but with veneered foam wings and a ply jigsaw fuselage it went together very quickly. It was also strong! I'd also stay well away from powered gliders- I tried going down that route and didn't get on with it- they fly slowly but you have to start turns well ahead of time and sometimes they float on at landing too much. For me anyway, something (a little) more instantly responsive works better when learning (bizarrely!).

I'd go down the tried and testing (if not very exciting) route of a ARTF. These often work out cheaper than building a model (obviously quicker!) and then if / when you crash you just know you have a few hours assembling a new one I'd put all my energies into building something to fly once the basics are mastered... no reason not to do that whilst learning on the ARTF (though I suppose it's not really the time of year!).

Anyway, that's just my take.... ARTFs can be a bit soleless but they also take the heartache out of learning (of which I had quite a bit in my early aeromodelling days)

Anyway, good luck. The Push Moth certainly is a cute looking plane.

Hi Ben,
I have two ARTF fomies, a little powered glider and a Super Cub both of which I am using trying to master the basics, but as with my helicopters, I find the building just as enjoyable as the flying although I do know what you mean about the heartache of crashing a newly built model. So I am going to go down the route as you have suggested and get to grips with learning to fly my foamies while enjoying a very slow and steady build so that when the build is completed I will not trash it first attempt.

Peter, well that little snippet of info has helped me to make my mind up, the Tranquiliser goes on the xmas prezzie list and save the Push Moth till later.

Tony

There are a number of trainers in the RCME plans service.
RM Trainer by David Boddington RM 287
Tyro Major RC1176
BAT RC1349
Tranquiliser by Peter Holland RM124

All these designs are fairly old but have stood the test of time.

The Super 60 would seem a good idea as there are several build threads going on at the moment. Kits or plan from Ben Buckle Plans. Also a two thirds size version called Mini Super

DB Sport & Scale sell a couple of Boddington trainer design plans or kits. Also wing rib set for plan too.

I checked to make sure all these plans are available and they are .......at a price!
I could not believe the price of 17.50 for the Tyro Major etc .  
You can buy the plan and a set of wing ribs for the Tyro Major for 17.50 from DB Sport & Scale.  ( 10 pounds for the plan only, plus 7.50 for a set of ribs )
  MyHobbyStores needs to get real with prices!   To hook newcomers into building at least trainer prices should be rock bottom or even loss leaders!
The RM Trainer is better value at 12.50 but its still dear for just a sheet of paper.
And unless policy has changed recently, you dont get instuctions / copy of the article unless you state the magazine date and pay extra.  ( probably get it with DB Sport & Scale plan though )

In case anbody  wants the article date Tranquiliser is  Radio Modeller  Feb 74,

Edited By kc on 03/12/2011 13:41:21

Edited By kc on 03/12/2011 13:43:47