Lazy Bee help needed

Hi
I'm having a spot of bother. I've built an indoor lazy bee from a three view drawing i found on on the net and it flies like a pig

with the slightest bit of rudder it just dives for the floor. i tried moving the c of g forward and backwards with no change

i thought that it was the hinge line on my rudder being about 11 degrees off the vertical but some more research shows that's how they are. ????

I only had my 2 cell 800mah lipos with me last night when i tried to fly it so is it too heavy ? (135g) and 20 inch wing span. might it be tip stalling ????

HELP

your thoughts please

kev

Edited By kevin wild on 07/12/2011 15:14:10

I had the same problem with my Parkzone J3 cub - I eventually found it was caused by the front of the wing having come unstuck from its seat and lifting when trying to turn causing a stall and also a rearward cg which was exacerbating the problem (due to touchy elevator control). So maybe you have something similar or a wing incidence problem. Took ages to suss because in a hall I had to keep turning the model before I could get a grip of what was actually happening.

Edited By Wingman on 07/12/2011 15:59:41

Kev,
Could it BEE (no pun intended) that you need more positive incidence on the wing? Maybe when the rudder is applied the tip that is lower is tucking under? The built up version has ribs but yours seems to have curved depron wings , with all that under camber may well be too much?

Rich

Hi Rich

I've just checked the incidence. 1 degree ?. I'm guessing that's not enough. I never thought to check this when I imported the jpg and traced the outlines ;-(

am I right in thinking that I need a lot more on a slow indoor model ?

kev

Edited By kevin wild on 07/12/2011 17:57:33

Kev,
To me that's a lot of under camber and not enough positive AOA. But this is only through me building a few rubber powered light weight models many years ago.

I think you need BEB's advice on this

Rich

Hi Kevin ,

Not sure that the problem is with the curved wing . I would play with the incidence as i did on this one , but for me was easy .
Also i have made a small Rc Version but my battery was not powerful enough for more that one circuit , but i did find that the rudder is very sensitive so in order to control the turns i made a trim tab that worked as the rudder then it worked fine .

Hi ,

Just Re check all .

5 Degrees Positive on rear wing
10 Degrees Positive on Main wings
5 Degrees Down Thrust

On both Foam Fleas .

But Youre rear wing is a flat plate  

Edited By Stephen Jones on 07/12/2011 21:17:29

thanks.
I can adjust fuz and wing a bit and get 3 degrees. if that doesn't improve things I could remove 10mm from the leading edge. it's a bit of a hack but as a last resort it will give me more AOA

I've now found indoor planes on the net with up to 6 degrees of attack so I'm going to give it a go

thanks again

Kev

• 1 month later...
thanking you all very much

the wind and rain eased enough last weekend so i grabbed the Bee and legged it down the rugby pitch. the mods have improved the flight performance quite a bit. it's now flyable. in fact it's a bit of a hoot. loops are very tight. stall turns crisp and slow speed handling great

kev

• 2 months later...

Hi

all's well that ends well. she's been flying at the indoor club for a while now and is great fun

another member at our indoor club has just uploaded a video of his heli. if you look in the backgroun you can see it flitting around

thanks for your help guys

Edited By kevin wild on 15/03/2012 18:15:51

Edited By kevin wild on 15/03/2012 18:16:34