All things SAS wildthing

Another covering tip; the manufacturers use a release agent on the surface of the tape to allow the tape to release from the layer above. Now this is not what you want when laying tape on top of other tape as in this case.

Get yourself a bottle of methylated spirit. Wipe the entire surface of EPP before covering with cross weave tape. Now the cw tape overlaps so after laying each strip wipe off that section with a cloth wetted with meths. Follow this routine right through the taping process. Sounds like a pain but it is better than having the tape lifting off later.

I have recently built an EPP Zagi and did it this way and the adhesion is great.

Enjoy the build and especially flying it. They are great fun.

Rob

Edited By TigerOC on 29/01/2014 14:45:51

Thanks very much Rob. I've seen them in action, and Alan Head told me ithat gliders are a great way to learn to fly, so yes, once I've the desk free, and confirmed and conirmed what cabling I need to add to my shopping list, I'll be well away.

Marc

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I bought some Hitect HS311 servos but looking at them against the wing of the Wildthing I'm (teribly slowly) building, I don't want to cut the lugs off or cut the wings to accomodate the lugs. I'm thinking of getting Hitec HS225BB instead, mini servos, does that sound ok? Eg I'm flying my Fusion in 20mph gusting 40mph tomorrow, would the torque of the mini servos cope?

My personal experience is that you should use standard servos. The Fusion/Wildthing don't have great penetration at the best of times so reducing weight would make this worse. The servos also take a bit of a hammering anyway because of rough landings etc and a mini servo will not take the abuse.

If you don't want to cut the lugs off then if you have a mini drill (Dremel or =) then mark the lugs on the wings and using a similar size diamond/abrasive attachment mill out the area. It makes a great job of the cut and makes it nice and snug.

Rob

Thanks for the link Rob, I didn't know whether 'mill' meant cut or grind.

Steve: hi, it's the Marc from Sussex who slope soared with you a few weeks ago. It wasn't the cost, but the fit that got me thinking of mini servos. What a subject in itself choosing servos is, that searchable list commonly linked to on here is absolutely massive.

Ian: thanks a combination of what you say and Rob says and I'm away.

Ok, so I'm fitting standard servos and know how to do it now, about my circular servo horns which slightly foul the wing, I'm going to I think cut them a little to remove the fouling.

Posted by Oops on 21/10/2014 06:44:27:

Ok, so I'm fitting standard servos and know how to do it now, about my circular servo horns which slightly foul the wing, I'm going to I think cut them a little to remove the fouling.

There should be a single arm or double arm servo horn in the pack. Use the single arm or remove one (appropriate) arm from the double arm horn. This will not foul in the seat.

When you come to mounting the elevons and their control horns make sure that the elevons are connected exactly as Allan says. If they're even slightly too wide the rods will bind on the sides of the fuselage.

Rob

Before chopping the double or cross servo arms, make sure the servos are centred perfectly then try both (or all 4) positions in the same orientation they will be in when mounted - each position makes the arm sit a slightly different angle. One position will be near perfect - leave that one on and chop the others.

To centre the servos either use a 1500uS servo tester or set the tx trims and sub-trims to centre, plug the servo in and watch that each servo doesnt twitch as you unplug it. If it does, repeat. Make sure this is right as once mounted, the servos are inaccessible and any offset will give you asymmetric throw.

Cheers
Phil

Rob: the servos didn't come as a pack, they are just the servos, so I have no other horns which is why I'm intending to cut (I assume a diagonal shape) into the wheel horn.

Phil: thanks very much for that 2nd para. I don't understand it really (although I know what trim and sub-trim are just about) although I expect I will understand when I come to do it!

Marc