All things SAS wildthing

Good sloper Timbo. If I had a camera on the nose of my models I'd probably end up drilling it into myself trying to get a close up.. 

My favourite sloper is my SAS 48" blob...very smooth.

Good range of kits, I believe that they're no longer made though unfortunately. I may be wrong though..!

***Moderator note - pic above is Tim's Wildthing inserted into thread after pic was lost during platform change Jan 2009. *******

I have ducked pretty smartly on one or two occasions I can tell you ! Alan Head ( he of SAS ) is sort of "trying to retire" as he put it to me when we met at Filey modelling weekend earlier this year. The wildthing is currently only available in 46" and 60"

You can email him here if needed. [email protected]

His website as such is still just about living.....here

Hi All

When I ordered my 50" wildthing he told me he only had the one left, Damb good AEROplane though, And if you ever get the chance to fly with Tim make sure you like the whistle of coroplast shooting past your head, It will happen more often than not.

Damb good fun and I cant wait for the next meet. I dont think my jartyness will be ready though

See you soon

Lee

I would expect more from you Tim ........... Bigger wing does not mean heavier, It means better lift more wing area and I can see it further away LMAO ( see slang dictionary )

I just rushed all the way into the kitchen ( Wildthing den ) a put tape to wing and yes it is a whopping 50" span, Thats 4" bigger than yours, Dont worry I wont tell your wife.

See you soon Tim

Best regards

Lee 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
I recently received a 46" Wildthing for my birthday (lucky me!) - it was recommended as a good beginner's slope model. It's a lovely kit. Is it true that A. Head may retire soon? Will SAS then finish? It seems a great shame if this is true - such well designed and produced models deserve to be marketed and packaged better. When I looked at the website I was rather shocked at how poor it was put together considering how well regarded the models are. Can't wait to chuck the WT off the Longmynd - I will report back on my progress sometime soon...

Hi Matthew

I also have a Wildthing after flying with Tim and his a long long time ago, I love it .

I spoke to Mr Head a while ago and he was still developing models at that time so I dont think he will finish soon,

If you ever want some one to join you on the great Long Mynd site then give me a call as I fly there alot too.

Maybe Tim will join us there

Best regards

Lee

Good question, and if you find the answer let me know ! My flycamone died and was never replaced by the  rubbish supplier who shall remain nameless, and all I can seem to find these days is the pricier and troubled flycamone ver2 - I even have an ad running in the classifieds for one .

You probably could easily install a small brushless set up, but I am sure that there are plenty of models like this already available. The WT is designed to slope soar, and from what I have seen does that extremely well. Perhaps we should be encouraging A.H. to develop a powered EPP WT (different wing section needed?), along the lines of the Komet made in Australia.

It wont make a whole lot of difference really as it is very light. I had 2 positions set up on mine - two on the top, which you can see in the picture - near the nose slanted slightly down and forward looking for straight ahaead filming, and further back along the spine you can just make out the other 2 magnets which I used for "aerial looking down view". In this mode, I launched and flew the whole flight inverted and only rolled back upright just before landing. I didnt want to fit the camera underneath as it would likely break upon landing.

If you check the 2 videos ( linked below ) you will see the effect of each system.

forward front facing view

Aerial view

Please note that these were the very first  flights with the setup, and controlling steady and smooth action in a howling gale as a comparitive newbie to sloping was not easy! Excuses over.... enjoy the fantasctic music of your Father's era