All things SAS wildthing

ok guys i have had my first break the control horn snapped but ill get anotyher one what size of control horn do i need big or small??

also ive crashed so badly the nose of my wildtyhing has become miss shapen is this a problem  don't think it is but i dunno??

And why not? It seems this little glider is loved by many. As soon as I get to chucking mine off a hill I will report back here. Just so folks know, I have been thoroughly enjoying an Easystar this summer after a 20 year hiatus, and look forward to slope soaring as it seems 1) A cheap way to get my fix 2) A challenge and 3) those F3F mouldies are just gorgeous! one day... Mike Evans and Mark Southall recommended the WT as a good beginners slope model that all the 'pros' still enjoy flying - evidenced by all the combat fun they were having up at Pole Cottage. This is more like it - my experience of club flying is tainted by lots of rules and everyone taking life far too seriously. A recent incident at my local club, where after a mid-air one pilot stomped on the remains of the other's plane, was the final straw for me. What happened to having fun with cheap little models?

Chris Chapman wrote (see)

ok guys i have had my first break the control horn snapped but ill get anotyher one what size of control horn do i need big or small??

also ive crashed so badly the nose of my wildtyhing has become miss shapen is this a problem  don't think it is but i dunno??

How on earth did you manage to snap a horn chris - if built correctly these are tucked well away from harms way, and mine ( like most wildthings ) has been smashed hard into several hard things including solid rock many times and never even had a horn come loose. The nose on mine is also bent severely and I just strapped it back up with a small piece of ply for bracing - lots of C/W tape and covering...jobs a good un. As lee says....strap it up and chuck it off...they are tough birds.

Lee Morgan wrote (see)

Chris My WT has been bashed and crashed so many times I am not sure theres much epp left, Strap it up and throw it off, It will fly

Timbo urgent meeting needed asap ( The end of sept ) usual place usual suspects

Spread the word old man the circus is coming and they have monkeys

Lee

Roger wilko.

Matthew Lloyd wrote (see)
And why not? It seems this little glider is loved by many. As soon as I get to chucking mine off a hill I will report back here. Just so folks know, I have been thoroughly enjoying an Easystar this summer after a 20 year hiatus, and look forward to slope soaring as it seems 1) A cheap way to get my fix 2) A challenge and 3) those F3F mouldies are just gorgeous! one day... Mike Evans and Mark Southall recommended the WT as a good beginners slope model that all the 'pros' still enjoy flying - evidenced by all the combat fun they were having up at Pole Cottage. This is more like it - my experience of club flying is tainted by lots of rules and everyone taking life far too seriously. A recent incident at my local club, where after a mid-air one pilot stomped on the remains of the other's plane, was the final straw for me. What happened to having fun with cheap little models?
AMEN

well ill tell you how it happened that i broke my control horn well  i was flying in a wild wind and i came in to land and the wind gusted and i hit a dyke wilst pulling up left so it must have been crushed as the epp got squashed because as you know it is slightly springy but either way it broke and i got a new one and it fly like a dream the longest i have flown for is 5 mins 47 seconds so says my transmitter.

the wildthing motto   "strap it up and throw it off"      or somethin like that  

I have just about finished building my WT - that just has to be the strangest build ever! I have never used so much sticky tape in my life! What sort of weights have your models come out at? With one layer of CW tape and a couple of the coloured, my WT feels very sturdy but quite heavy, so I would be keen to know what it should be, give or take. For a while the model looked like something my Mum would have wrapped for Christmas (she's not the best present wrapper in the world), but it is now beginning to look a bit more 'finished' and with a bit of additional vinyl graphic styling should look good. I'm amazed to read that some models have been recovered a number of times - is this because they look tatty quite quickly? I have been wondering whether some Solarfilm or similar would work better - considering I have been trying to get tape to go around corners in a neat manner. Also, what mode do others fly? My set is mode 2, which until now seems fine but I wonder if I would be able to fly gliders better in mode 1. As it is, my left thumb will be idle! PS I have the Mk3 46" version

well first off I dont suggest you consider changing modes - fly the one you are used to. Full stop.

Dont worry about the weight, a little heavier and it simply penetrate better and erhapos handle stronger winds better - if you have built it as per instructions, and not done anything silly like apply sheet lead instead of CW tape then it will be fine! Recovering usually occurs due to the hard life these things lead - apart from mid air combat scars, landing on rocks and sharp gorse bushes etc takes it toll on the covering. I wouldnt bother with solarfilming it personally, cos it will be that much harder to get off when ypou do want to strip and recover. They wont stay looking too pretty for too long, but they do fly brilliantly, and you wont notice the rough finish in the air anyway!

Hi Timbo I hear you re: changing modes. I pondered it because the guys I met up at Pole Cottage flew mode 1, and said that they flew better for it. C'mon, tell me what mode you fly... No sheets of lead on her yet, but I am prepared to add a few grams to get balance sorted! What range of wind speed will it fly in? I have read that anything from 10mph will work - what is your experience? Has RCM&E ever reviewed an SAS model? He doesn't advertise, so are these just sold by word-of-mouth recommendations?

1)  The wildthing ( or any model in fact ) will fly perfectly well in the right hands on eoither mode.

2) mode 1 - but that 's ONLY because thats the way i was taught all those yeras ago - I see merit in both modes.

3) 10 MPH minimum I would say - maximum ?? I have flown her unballsated in 45 Mph 

4) Dont know

5) Pretty much ...yes.