All things SAS wildthing

Now, I know I am still a bit green when it comes to sloping off, but if your Wildthing shoots vertically from your hand to 50' when launched, and seems to spend a great deal of time sitting there or going backwards, and really only gets going when you shove a load of down in and even then toddles off ponderously ahead of you, and finds it difficult to tack back and forth, and generally flies as if someone is sat on it - is that because it's too bl**min' windy?!

Went out today and froze my digits again - and already thinking I need another model.

Did I just say NEED? Oh dear, it appears the slope bug has bitten... 

Advert

Timbo/Lee:

Took WT out again yesterday (even colder!), to see what lift is around up on Titterstone Clee. Not bad all, and a cracking sunset to finish off with.

But here's my question - as I have nothing to compare to, can you guys let me know how YOU think the WT flies.

After watching Lee's vids (very nice!) and generally looking around, I see models that appear to have much more 'energy retention' and are able to carve much nicer/bigger shapes in the air (Skuas, Zagis etc), whereas I seem to struggle, after two or three turns, avoiding having to find more lift in order to have another go. Is the WT generally slow and not an aerobat? Shoudl I try and move my CofG further forwards? Where are your CofGs - and don't say you left them at home!

Perhaps it needs a tad more nose weight to help penetration. They are not exactly aerobatic, or particularly fast - except in a good 50 MPH+ Remember these things were designed for combat - not racing or thermalling etc.

Alan Head does recommend that you do NOT ballast them as this makes them easier to break when "arriving" - but id the wind is very high, half a pound or more of lead gets em going pretty well.

Have you dive tested it? Across the slope, dive at a sharpish angle. neutralize controls

if it tucks under ( steepens the dive ) then its nose light. If it starts to climb out of the dive, then its nose heavy.

moving the CG further back should increase speed. a forward CG requires more up elevator as compensation, which creates more drag.  move the cg back and it should be faster and more lively.

that said the wild thing is a 48" lump o' foam, which is the model's strength and weakenss - i.e it's tough and handy, but smaller means less engery retention, never mind the relatively low efficiency of tape covered foamies etc.  

the WT isn't a fast glider for sure.  it should roll well and have pretty decent agility though.

You probably need to look into bigger/better models if you want more speed and energy - fast foam and mouldies.   

Oops - I meant move CofG back, i.e. nose heavy. Sorry guys!

Excellent responses though - very helpful thank you. I suspected as much re: lump of foam made for fighting, and confirms my thoughts that I need another machine (there I go again, using that word NEED - dear me, the slope is truely under my skin now!).

Not sure about adding lead - even less about adding half a pound of it! Where would it go?!

I best get stuck into some combative fun then. The Mynd at dawn?

One guy at the Orme one day strapped 3.5lb - YES 3.5lb - of lead to a wildthing.

I dont usually add lead these days, but when I did, I cut two slots right through the fuselage sides just fore and aft of the COG spot. I threaded some velcro straps ( B + Q etc  sell em ) right through the slots. I then stuck some "loopy" side velcro to the underside, and "hooky" velcro to the assorted strips of lead in the carrier bag in the boot.

Position the lead, and then using the straps, wrap around the lead tightly and go fly in 60MPH + winds.

No wonder you needed a new fuselage! Dangerous sport, this slope flying!

I think I'll give it a miss, thank you all the same. Right, what model next... Skua, Fast-bak, Rico-she... any other EPP suggestions Tom? Time to start another thread, methinks!

BTW Tim - I haven't specifically dive-tested it, but recall that if I 'let it go' when diving down across the slope it remains fairly neutral. Gives me something to play with though!

Hi Matthew

I have found the WT is great for close slope fun but to get the rest you do need a different ship, Tom I thought you knew better, Size is not the way to gain speed or penetration , You need a model designed for the job i.e. WT = combat as Timbo said.

If you go get yourself summit like a skua ( not and S15 ) It will have the same size parameters as the WT but goes much more like an aerobat/racer.

There are loads of different "skua" types out there some you will like some you won't and that also applies to what OTHERS think . Just get one you like the look of and have a play.

My S15 in the Vid has sadly passed away ( I will get another ) I now have a Bedlam to build from PMP models, They fly well but as I said look around and pick one you like

Best regards

Lee

I recently bought a Fusion for my first forays into sloping. This is a great model that seems to fly in most wind conditions. It is virtually indestructible which is good for my landings (colliding with the ground). If I can learn to land it I may well venture into moulded gliders.

Never mind landings - perfect your touch-and-go's!

Why land anyway? Stay up - go 'round again - squeeze more out of the day. The lift will change, creating new challenges. The blow may increase - even more fun! The most delightful aspect of my WT is that I don't have to be too precious about it - it bounces, gets picked up and then immediately thrown off again - simply coming back for more. There can't be many models that can claim that as an asset!

BTW - longest single flight so far is in the order of 40 minutes! 

Matthew Lloyd wrote (see)

Never mind landings - perfect your touch-and-go's!

Why land anyway? Stay up - go 'round again - squeeze more out of the day. The lift will change, creating new challenges. The blow may increase - even more fun! The most delightful aspect of my WT is that I don't have to be too precious about it - it bounces, gets picked up and then immediately thrown off again - simply coming back for more. There can't be many models that can claim that as an asset!

BTW - longest single flight so far is in the order of 40 minutes! 

Gotta agree on that one Matt!

My longest flight to date ( with the WT ) 1 hour 37 minutes....only landed cos I had a sore neck!!

The s15 is a good plane if you want to step up to the next level.  At 60 inches you may have to consider space in your vehicle etc.   IF you get one, get the ballast kit, as that will give you a much wider envelope for the plane.  

Bigger models are faster in general (obviously there are a number of other factors).  

I'm sure I can find room in the car for a full 60"

The S15 looks good to me - and I also considered the ballast kit. The videos on thier site are great. Who's for a trip up to Bald Knob?!

These flying wings - and that includes the WT - interest me because I perceive them as a bit of a cross-over product from the kite flying world, especially with groovy graphics and a nice repetoire of tricks (not sure I will be able to jump over mine though!). Does any fancy making up a formation display team, complete with streamers/smoke?!

Is there a site a bit more Mid-Wales-y? 2.5 hours up to the Orme for me - on a good day - is a bit much (sorry Timbo). Are you aware of a site Lee? Flying a WT on y'own seems a bit daft, and I tried knocking buzzards out of the sky to no avail!

Winter league race at the Mynd this weekend, but forecast is for low wind speeds - will they still race? 

Yeah - I was hoping for a day in the mid-Wales vallies - there must be a site somewhere, there's certainly no shortage of hills! Stick a pin midway between me, thee and Lee in the map!

BTW - do spend ALL day in front of y'screen, TIm? I managed to grab 45 mins on the slope during lunch break today - could have done with a bit more than 14mph tho'.