Not a good start to the 2012 flying season! ever had one of those days?

Today was my first chance of 2012 to go flying, now I should have realised that lady luck was not on my side this morning.
Having charged 3 batteries my charger decided to not play ball coming up with an error, ok no big deal as these things can just go.

Playing safe I decided to fly my Multiplex Gemini because its been a good couple of months since I last flew which was at Old Warden. Now that ended up being a bad day!

First flight, not a problem and it was most enjoyable getting back into the swing of things.
Second flight, I was up for around 5 mins just doing some of that enjoyable relaxed flying.
From my right one of the other fliers decided he would take off with a new ducted fan jet ( Alpha jet I think). Now what narked me was he never called a take off, this I know can happen and we have all done it when concentrating on a maiden. But I was aware from the noise that something was going on further down the pits.
Being aware that this was a new model I flew out of the way, then turned back on to my normal circuit just plodding about as his model took off vertical.
From around 200' the jet came howling down (I think for a fast low pass), yep you can guess what happened, straight through my model!
Well there was lots of foam, you can see the red 'skid marks' on the top of my top wing. The bottom wing was broken off on one side along with the wind servo. Cabane struts snapped and there may be some damage to the new AXI motor
Nearly 30 years I have been flying and this is my fist mid air! no ones fault but just one of those things. Just glad it was well away from the pits.

Since I got home I have looked at the airframe and it may just go back together, I have some Gorilla glue but I am not sure if this is ok or not? Or I have some epoxy....what do you reckon chaps?

It could have been worse and been a model that I had built myself, but frustrating all the same.

Rich

Advert

Thanks for the tips gents I will get some CA for the job and some carbon strips.

The strength is in the top wing which has a carbon strip across its span,luckily this is undamaged. I have checked the motor out and all seems to be fine bar for it pulled the bolts out of its base and stripped the threads! No big deal though as I can open them out to M4.

David,
To be fair I really didn't take much notice of the damage as I was a little focused on the damage to mine ,but was told after it was far worse off.

I regard myself as an average pilot and thought I was well aware of his flight path at the time, but looking back it was just the speed of the thing coming out of a dive that caught me out.
However I will be having a word with the chairman about the matter, I think a little more verbal communication is needed concerning the pilot in question whilst flying (this is not the first time). He is a really nice chap and I am sure we can both learn something from this.

I know that sometimes these things happen, but at least the risk can be reduced for everyone else.

It could have been far worse, its just a bit of foam!
Rich