motor mounting problems, HELP!

hi guys, i have been given a pretty nice plane from one of my grandparents friends, its IC intended, but i wanna convert it to electric.
the problem is, i have no idea how i would mount the engine on this thing?
the model weighs 0.35lbs with everything on. its support to be a pusher plane.

i intend on putting the engine on the wing, but i see that most of them are embedded in the body of the plane.

what are your ideas on where to mount it, how, and what to mount it with etc.

oh, and ignore the imperfections on the plane, all will be fixed before i cover it :P

thanks guys

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 18/01/2012 09:16:44:
Looks like it was originally designed as a glider, I'd be tempted to complete it and fly it as a glider, but if you want to go power some form of pylon mount on the wing could be an option, i.e. like the Multiplex Easy Star.

I.E.

Link below;

Add a flange to the base to be retained by Rubber bands, or, fix solid etc. 

BB

Edited By BB on 18/01/2012 09:28:01

that pylon and engine is a bit pricy are there any cheaper ones around BB?

and it only has rudder and elevator frank, surely gliders have aerlions as well?

thanks for the help also guys

If your not worried too much about the look you could make your own pylon out of bent aluminium, or other flat strip metal.

When i was learning to fly i had a glider that i adapted to power by mounting a small diesel on the top of a pylon that was held on with the bands that hold the wings on.

You could also make one out of ply or add any fairings you want to make it look better. More work than the shop brought option, but cheaper and you could make it to your own style.

Rob

i weighed it with 2 mini servos, and the wheels in it, but without esc,engine and battery.

so in total, when i have an esc and battery and motor on it, it should be about 1 lbs. but thats just a practical guess.

i shall look at tom's blog now

i weighed it with 2 mini servos, and the wheels in it, but without esc,engine and battery.

so in total, when i have an esc and battery and motor on it, it should be about 1 lbs. but thats just a practical guess.

i shall look at tom's blog now

Posted by Alex Gibbs on 18/01/2012 14:23:30:
that pylon and engine is a bit pricy are there any cheaper ones around BB?

and it only has rudder and elevator frank, surely gliders have aerlions as well?

thanks for the help also guys

They are a bit.. It was just an example for ya to have some idea.

BB

remove the centre sheeting put a 1.5mm ply rib either side of the centre ribs, cut the ribs so they have a vertical tongue, in the middle of these 2 tongues, glue the centre ply rib this will be your pylon, re-sheet the centre section, is this clear enough? i can see it in my head, but sometimes, its difficult to communicate an idea

i think i get you alan, maybe attempt to draw it out for me? I'm better at looking at drawings than reading words lol

oh and p.s, anyone have a idea on what foam sheeting tom wright uses?
it looks really good and sturdy, perfect for a 'housing' for my pylon when i make it

thanks again

GAWD, you will be asking me to fathom out how to post pictures on the puter next!!! i am just a thick engineer, you know, the idea i have goven you is just the mount, you need a motor platform, try this, take the two fingers next to each thumb, open them up, then turn one set at 90 degrees to the other, bring them together, unti the webs touch eath other, see how they interlock? thats how your motor mount need to be, then mount a motor plate to the + shape, with me so far? can you tell what it is yet??

Not necessarily the best example I could find, Alex, but this will give you an idea of what Alan is suggesting, I believe. In this case, it is banded on to the wing, rather than being sandwiched between the root ribs.

With a bit of ingenuity, I'm sure you can knock one up up out of some 1/8" ply. Don't build it too heavy - you'll only need a little motor - and you'll need a bit of upthrust if you make it a tractor, rather than pusher!

Pete

erm, not quite, i am guessing that the wing was built in 2 halves, in the middle should be 2 root ribs, glued together, with a brace along the spar, this will give you a rib 2 wing ribs thick, the ribs should have 2 pieces cut, the shape of the rib, if you out these either side of the glued together ribs, it should leave a gap about 1/8th thick, depending on how thick the ribs where, this gap should carry the 1/8th thick pylon, the tongue i mention is simply to re-inforce the pylon, the rook pylon, over the page, is the shape of it, but for you, in reverse, hope this is a tad clearer

yes, see that big thick rib in the middle? those are the 2 root ribs, from when the wing was built, they are gued together, the ply tongues, or pieces, go either side of this glued together rib, this will leave a gap between the ply pieces, which is filled by the central piece of ply, giving a pylon, any better for you??