One Foggy Day

Ian Jones

A group of us thought we would be turning up at just the right time the other day but when we arrived at the field the fog had just decided to thicken, so we waited, several hours :

Then it looked like it had cleared enough :

Then it came back :

There was even blue sky overhead :

Which was alright for 3Ding :

Low down though the fog still hung around for a while :

The Mustang found some blue sky :

Then it looked like we were going to be grounded, again :

At last - blue sky all around :

Even though it was pretty much clear in our field, banks of mist still hung around in the hollows :

All too soon the setting sun started to put a warm glow on things :

Some patches of low fog still hung around the field too :

It just wouldn't go :

Just when it was too dark to fly - not a patch of fog anywhere :

We'd waited the best part of three hours to get flying properly and to be fair when we did it was very enjoyable indeed. With only the slightest breeze it was a doddle and all present really enjoyed themselves. My Enya SS15 powered Fizza loved it too.

One of the chaps predicted the fog would come back as soon as it went dark, doh ! Wrong again .

Advert

Yes, nice pictures Ian. You obviously had a good day despite the fog!

I remember one day about two years ago we arrived at the field - it was foogy. "No problem" said one bright spark, "it's clear just down the road it will clear here in half an hour".

Two hours later - still no flying, visibility less than 50 yards. "Ah, the tide will change in half an hour - that will take the fog with it" said another club font of wisdom.

Another two hours later - still thick fog. I went home.

It was clear at home. Mrs BEB says "You're back a bit early - what's wrong - too cold?"

"No," I reply. "its the fog"

"What fog - we haven't had any fog here"

I only live about 3 miles form the field - it had apparently been a bright sunny day everywhere around except for that little bit of gloom that was our flying field

BEB

Thanks for the favourable comments re the photos chaps and yes BB go ahead, no problem.

BEB same happened to me! While we were waiting my wide phoned and said it was brilliant sunshine at home - like your situation, just a couple of miles away.

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 19/01/2012 10:57:00:
Nice pictures - especially those taken in the evening. You could move the cloud one in the cloud-thread - it is a pretty unusual shape.
VA
Thanks. I'd forgoten about the cloud Vecchio, I think I've got some photos to go in there - not any of the above though - that's steam vapour from a large industrial site.

Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 19/01/2012 07:51:22:
Ian, every day I wait for the fog to clear must give up the drink!
Ah the affluence of incerhol, nothing like a drop of whiskey - perhaps just a littel less would do .

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 19/01/2012 09:20:03:
Very nice photo had the same last week just foggy at the field .,a customer phoned so i had to leave, came back to gorgeous sunshine blue sky and no wind and everyone gone,had a great time

Apart from the wind and the cold and the mud and the rain and the snow and the bulky clothing and the short days and the fog, I enjoy winter flying .