First heli suggestion - what should I buy?

John Marsh 2

Advert

Gentlemen, I am indebted to you. The little chopper he has is if my memory serves me correctly is the SYMA S107G, which of course is an indoor model, and to be fair has proved great fun and very resilient and forgiving to crashes, it still breathing.

So, for his first foray outdoors what would be your "Off the shelf ready to fly," recommendations? Can I presume battery models are available.?

Hi John, there are so many to choose from but I'd suggest the E-flite Blade 120 as a good follow-on too. It can be flown indoors or outside in calm weather, it's reasonably manoueverable and spares are available. It should be orderable from most model shops.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 24/01/2012 08:12:21

Hi,
if the Syma 107G is a co-ax, then the MSR or it's big brother the Blade 120 is a good choice, both can come as RTF and I know for certain as I have one that I love to fly indoors that the MSR is virtually fly it out of the box.
My son is just getting to grips with a Nano SR a copy of the MSR then when he is ready he will move up to the Blade 120.
Heli flying the same as planes is very addictive, I know I have six, fortunately I have a very understanding wife.

Tony

Yes, the 120 looks very appealing, I'll go with that, thank you gentlemen, appreciate your help.should he progresses to panes what would be the first plane you would recommend.
As for being additive Tony I hope not too much or this Grandads pension is going to be spent before I get it.

John, I would second the advice from Delta Whiskey. I came into this sport with an RTF 450 sized heli complete with a non- computer radio and soon found out it was a VERY BIG mistake. I could not tame the beast down to my skill level and spent a small fortune on replacement parts and many boring hours on the Phoenix simulator before I learned how to hover. I would say a DX6i or DX7 and the BNF MSR as a start then the MCP-x. The MSR gives you lots of chance to practice orientations indoors without damaging the furniture and is far more fun than a simulator, then when you have mastered that move onto the MCP-x, which I find is a bit too quick and intimidating in the house, so is mainly used in large halls or more often outside. The SR120 needs a lot of space but is not good outside in the wind and the natural progression from the MCP-x is the Blade 450 but againthis is really an outdoor or very large hall machine.

Best part is, if you have invested in a DX6i or DX7 you will be able to use the same Tx for all these heli's (and beyond)

Have fun

Barry

Lots to think about there, will try to digest everything you lads have recommended, cannot say I understand it all yet, but I'm sure in time I'll get there.

Probably be back some time in the near future for more advise. Can I say it's been a pleasure to come onto this forum as apposed to a couple of others I frequent.

A big thank you again from this grandad and his grandson..

I'd second the Blade 120, it was my first heli, I spent most of last summer learning to fly it in the garden during tea breaks

The availability and price is something to watch for when choosing a heli, as Paul said above, if you break something and can't source a spare part, the whole lot goes in the bin.

If you do get a 120, these overlander batteries are cheaper than the EFlite ones and last longer in my experience, also they charge fine in the standard charger.

r.

Interesting comments.

I started on a Walkera 22. First time it started going where I didn't want it to, I pulled the throttle back, which of course gave it negative pitch, and planted it firmly (very firmly) on the floor.

I then went to a 450, which was much easier, but a bit big for our hall, and it's amazing what 2" steel tubes 6" from the wall do to main blades. Thank goodness for cheap spares from the east

I tried a big coaxial for fun and to put a camera on. It was great fun, and flew well, but of course the only way to compensate for wind is to put the nose into the wind. It went well until I was playing in the hall, and in a sudden climbing turn, the contra-rotating blades met each other (they were closer than the one pictured above)

I don't know the ones suggested, but I like the 450s for a small machine, and there is something nice about starting with a few boxes of bits and screws and finishing with a flying machine.

I think i'm in agreement with all on here. Spares accessability and spare parts costs should be a big factor. When learning, you will need a fair few spare! I would avoid anything that is not EFlite, Thunder Tiger or TREX/TREX Clone, just MHO.

No doubt bigger flys better (more stable), but you need help from a good Heli pilot to help you set it up and start learning to hover, then figure of eights - its a pretty standard path, if you get a TREX 450 or 500, or even bigger.

I started with helis about 2007 on a TREX450 clone from HK, cost me about 30 quid and parts were pennies. I tried to do it alone and setup using Finless Bob videos on YouTube. I did manage to set it up and get it to hover.... for a few seconds! I gave up and just concentrated on my normal aeroplanes.

I have since restarted with the Heli. About 2 months ago, I bought a TREX250 clone from within the US and an EFlite Blade MCPX. The MCPX is great and parts are pretty cheap. This is what I have learnt to fly on. Within a month I can fly it around the house and hover it and this is with no expo on the RTF Spectrum DX4e TX. Just 15 mins practice  a few times a week, on a night in the kids empty playroom (when she's gone to bed).

Whilst learning, I built the TREX 250. It now flys on my normal Futaba radio. Its much more stable to hover (with expo) than the MCPX.

So what?

Well, for me learning on the MCPX, a heli that is normally about 2nd or 3rd in the route to learning to fly helis, has been cheap and a swift learning curve. That said, i should caveat, that I would class myself as an intermediate/advanced aeroplane flyer, BFMA B+ flying all maner of stuff from warbirds to aerobatic planes and scale WW1 bipes.

The TREX 250 is probably a bit small, I should have gone straight to a TREX 450 clone, which is what I'll do next.

Why clone, well the TREX clones fly well, have an immense and cheap spare backup, both in the UK, US and from Hobby King and can be upgraded with all sorts of stuff, both geniune TREX parts and clone parts. They are also about 10% of the cost of buying a 'proper TREX' from Align.

Just my opinion, but it has worked for me.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 24/01/2012 18:49:55

Depends on your budget and if you have a dx6i or above radio. I started on a blade 400 which I purchase as a set with the radio from the bmfa classifieds for half the price if a new one and it had many spares extra battery and a training under carridge . Boggy gave a fantastic setting to use to soften the handling and I have never had a problem or even a major repair . Mind you I am taking it very slowly ... About 3 years so far!!! But I only use it indoors in our massive hall. I also throw aronund the msr which I also bought 2nd hand. Bargains are out there just keep looking it helps with my limits on budget.

Posted by Robin Kearney on 24/01/2012 15:22:48:
I'd second the Blade 120, it was my first heli, I spent most of last summer learning to fly it in the garden during tea breaks

The availability and price is something to watch for when choosing a heli, as Paul said above, if you break something and can't source a spare part, the whole lot goes in the bin.

If you do get a 120, these overlander batteries are cheaper than the EFlite ones and last longer in my experience, also they charge fine in the standard charger.

r.

Robin I know where you can get those batteries for less than 2quid

I assume by "boggy" in post2 seamus, your refering to the op,'cos I certainly aren't wondering about a skyking! I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole

the eflite blade range of helicopters have something for every level of competence,the only one I would probably avoid is the 3ch scout that really is just a toy. as others have recommended the 120 sr is a very good "fixed pitch" heli which uses head speed to produce lift. However I have my reservations about its size been suitable for an absolute beginnner if its going to be used in a livingroom and around family members.The original blade msr was a far better option for that,but is now superceeded by the msrx which uses a 3 axis gyro and sadly does not appear to be as easy to fly.

however jperkins have just introduced a new twister helicopter which comes with its own 2.4 tx and is an absolute dream to fly. there are a few video's on youtube (I dare not attempt a link as this forum scares me,I would hate to splash adverts all over the text )

if you decide on a collective pitch heli (blade pitch produces lift) then the blade SR is a good starter or of course the blade 450 which can be tamed down easily.(both certainly not livingroom friendly though )

Edited By boggy on 24/01/2012 21:30:42

Personally, I wouldn't touch an ARTF Heli, unlike planes, they are ALL toys... !!

Just get a proper Align model, with a proper TX, that way, you'll always find spares, and the Tx, rx, servo's etc, can be used in the next model.... Far more 'future-proof' than a cheap all-in-the-box affair..

I started with a Zoom 400 (Protech) with an FF7 Tx, then moved to a JR Voyager, and haven't looked back..

In Heli world, as with planes, the bigger the model, the easier it is too fly.. Physics dictates that small is twitchy, large is lazy..
I appreciate it all costs more, but in the long run it's the right way to go

HTH's, and hasn't confused thwe issue..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx