Which First Radio?

Forkbeard

Advert

You will get all sorts of different views on this, but I'll try and sumerise some of the points you may get:

Hitec Optic 6 Combo
Pros
- Good price
- Receivers are better value than Spektrum
- Offers more functionality than DX6i
- Good feel to the sticks - IMO, this is always a personal preference.
- Telemetry - don't understate this one, you will find this useful - even though its the basic battery warning, this could save a model one day. Some say that its not necessary, but that's because its unlikely that they have used it.
- Module based - Allows you change away from Hitec Receivers if you want. More flexibility
- Cheap buddy boxes available. I've noticed that currently Als Hobbies on eBay are stocking the 35MHz versions (perfect for buddy boxing) for just £35.
- Firmware updatable. You can update it to any new revisions to fix bugs and add features.
- Rechargeable batteries supplied.
Cons
- Old design. Nothing wrong with the design per say, just not as pretty as the modern transmitters.
- Not the defacto standard at the field. So less likely to have people around to help with programming it.

Spektrum DX6i
Pros
- Good Spektrum receiver selection available.
- Availability of cheap compatible receivers (aka Orange RX)
- Ability to use the plentiful supply of good quality Bind and Fly models - these are literally take out of the box planes and go fly.
- Second hand prices are very good - useful if you want to upgrade to a transmitter with more channels at a later time
- Likely to have someone at the field with another Spektrum transmitter, that if you speak nicely with, could buddy box with.
- ModelMatch - stops you flying off with the wrong model loaded on the transmitter. Note, that this can be a hindrance too - you have to rebind everytime you move the receiver. Also with proper pre-flight checks (i.e. check control surface directions before you take-off), your unlikely to fly the wrongly selected model.
Cons
- Expensive genuine receivers (compared to Hitec's)
- Questions over receiver/signal link reliability - this is subjective, however there is a lot of complaints online over mysterious signal loss and crashes. Radio or User error? Depends who you talk to.
- Uses standard disposable batteries. Not necessarily a problem as they do last a long time.
- No module. Your stuck with Spektrum receivers.
- As they're so popular they can be quite hard to get hold of.

All that I can think of too hand at the moment. I'm sure others will fill in. I have a slight Hitec bias, so take that into account too. Others will have slight biases and I'm sure could point how the Spektrum is better, and Hitec is worse.

Also there is Futaba - which has a whole different set of problems (two radio standards/some transmitters without timers/etc).

Hope this helps,
Si.

I would say however, either one you go with you won't go far wrong.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 08/02/2012 21:16:29

Forkbeard welcome to the forum.
Everyboby has their favourite which you will soon find out,
my reccomendation is if you are joining a club ( highly reccomended) have a chat with the guys and see what the favourite brand in use is. This will be of advantage when it comes to setting up the radio in your model.
No one flies Hitec at my club and if a newbie arrived with a set
we would all be scratching our heads if there was a problem.

I've just grasped the nettle and bought a Hitec Aurora system to replace my Futaba basic 2.4 set. Why? Prices are much better with Hitec and I needed to upgrade my transmitter. I know that this set is not the one you are thinking of buying but I must say that the Hitec is so easy to use, you don't really need the instruction book.
I've been a Futaba man for years but I'm a bit miffed with them bringing out a new set that is not Fasst compatible. That to me suggests that may no longer support Fasst in future and as I'm buying a transmitter for years of use its enough for me to jump ship now.
A vote from me for Hitec.

Posted by Forkbeard on 08/02/2012 20:52:30:

Hi Guys, I am new to RC airplane flying and would appreciate some advice on the best first radio set-up to get. Should I go for the Hitec, the Spektrum or something else completely? All help and advice will be greatly appreciated, Cheers.

If I was new to the hobby. I'd fly Hitec Aurora. Bang per bucks, it just can not be beaten. And I fly Futaba! Trouble with Aurora - Not many folks are using - which makes buddying 'iffy.

If you want to buddy: Go Spectrum, or Futaba. Lads at your LMFC should help.

BB ....What I would do differently dept....

Forkbeard

Excellent sum up above by Simon. He's not quite correct that you have to re-bind after switching Spektrum Rxs between models though - you can re-name the model and change the control movements etc. without re-binding. However, re-binding is a good idea to set up the failsafe in the new model, and it's not exactly hard.

My son and I have been using Spektrum for a few ears with no radio link issues. I started with a 6i, but had the chance of a little-used 7 about a year ago, so traded up. The 6 was excellent to use, but does seem a little flimsy, although nothing on mine broke. I haven't handled a Hitec 2.4, so I don't know how it compares. I did some instruction a few years back with a Hitec 35MHz owner, and it gave faultless service.

One Spektrum gripe I have is that you have to manually start the Tx timer each time by flicking a switch. My 35MHz Futaba tranny can be set to count down from opening the throttle. No idea how the Optic timer (if it has one) works, or whether this matters to you.

As others have said, they are both excellent radios for the money - see if you can compare them at your LHS - have fun deciding!

It is very useful to use a radio which is compatible with any club you might join. Clubs can be extremely helpful in all aspects of flying model aeroplanes, that's why they're there. If you are absolutely certain that you will never join a club and you can do it all yourself, buy a Spektrum. Simply because there is so much more Spektrum compatible stuff out there.

Find out what radio your instructor has, knowing this can help if you need to setup a 'buddy' system where you plug a cable between your transmitters.

eg: If you instructor has a Spektrum transmitter, then you will need a Spektrum transmitter too in order to make use of the buddy lead feature.

Personally I've been very happy with the 2 Spektrum DX6i's and 2 Spektrum DX7's that we have in the family.

If I had to buy one of the "big names" the only choice to me would be Hitec.

They are very well built, they look and feel like good quality

The location and nature of the factory is likely to ensure that QC is as good as if not better than any other make.

It is also likely to be the first "big name" to be fully programmable like the TH9X. (there are already some "amazing similarities")

I think once they have their marketing beefed up, they will be much more popular in future, price is right, features right, ease of use right, just hope the distributors back up is up to standard

I have both , my optic 6 was converted to 2.4g last year and gives no trouble .
I would say the spektrum dx6i is easier to use with its press and scroll program finder . and has a few more user friendly mixes.
I would say that i have on the odd occasion had glitches with my spektrum gear and that does put me off using it , also (correct me if im wrong) the hitech receivers seem less prone to low battery voltage than specktrum ..but that said there are thousands in use and that give faultless performance.

I do like the price of the hitech receivers , and you dont need to chase aftermarket brands to get cheap ones.

My pick . optic 6 2.4g. just !!!

Thanks for everybody’s suggestions and advice, opinion seems
to be fairly equally divided between the two radios. So I think I will go for the Hitec. My next dilemma, shall I go for the Hitec 6
or save up the extra money and get the Aurora 9? As a beginner, do you think I would make use
of the extra features, or would the 6 would be more than adequate for my
needs? My first plane is going to be the
Seagull EP 1.6m Trainer. Thanks again in
advance, you guys are so helpful.

Edited By Forkbeard on 11/02/2012 12:37:51

Edited By Forkbeard on 11/02/2012 12:43:39

The Aurora is a very nice radio but its a lot of money for your first radio. I'd get a cheaper radio until you decide that this hobby is for you first.

Have a look at the eclipse 7 too. It's been replaced shortly and at the moment the price difference between the current version eclipse and the optic 6 isn't much.

That extra channel may mean you won't need to upgrade for a good while - if ever (depends what type of flying you get into).