Models Database - any interest in one?

Ian Jones

Some years ago an article RCM&E appeared which detailed paper logs that the author keeps of all his models and the main kit that went into them. The benefits are many, so this list will not be exhaustive:

• Re-using parts, a battery or receiver for example - what's it history? Why is it available for re-use? Is it safe to re-use.
  • Selling parts or models on - log of the life of the model or part which indicates how it's been used, any repairs and importantly how it was last used. This could affect the price a purchaser will pay. Full service history sort of thing.
  • Development of a model. How did the maiden go - any issues outstanding, any further tweeks required.
  • Safety of the model - Matters to be attended to before the aircraft is next flown. Could avoid that sudden flash of recall as the model plunges earthward - "Oh yes I was goin to..."
  • Battery monitoring - do wait until a battery failure comes as a surprise? Got loads of batteries and can remember what condition they are in? Keeping a record could save a model.

At that time I was a Rapid Application Developer working mainly on Microsoft Access and Lotus Notes databases. So it wasn't long before I'd knocked together an Access database, dare I say more for the pleasure in creating the database than anything else (yes, alright, live and let live embarrassed).

Amazingly though I still use it:

Now being as it is, if anybody else wanted it they would have to have MS Access and there could be some licencing issues too. If we could be free of these constraints would anybody else want it anyway?

I've had a play with OpenOffice Base and I'm sure I could do something with that which could do the job. It wouldn't look like the Access database but would have similar functionality. Anyone with a PC or MAC can have OpenOffice, it's a free opensource office suite. Furthermore distribution of the database would not be an issue. It would be free, or perhaps a very small charge to compensate a little for the time it would take to develop.

A rough test using the original database indicates that it could be done (of course any product would look better than this):

The thing is I don't need it myself - I'm happy with the MS Access version I have; I would only develop it for the benefit of others.

I'm off on holiday for a week now but I'll check this thread when I get back to see if there is any interest in following this up.

Edited By Ian Jones on 25/02/2012 01:45:36

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, 3 of us with an interest, not a high demand, what shall I do disgust.

Well, having looked briefly at the feasibility of such a project, it's caught my interest (happens every time smile o) so there would be some personal satisfaction in continuing. But:

• Spring is coming, lots of flying projects on the go, more paid work on the way soon, so little time to spare. Oh I've created my own little dilemma.
  • Nobody is going to suffer if I don't do it or if it takes a long time to complete.

Okay, unless something changes the decision is that I will continue to develop it on a low priority with no target date for completion.

I wish that was so Andy.

An MDE file is a compacted version of the original MDB. MDE files also reduce the amount of user design features that are available. The MDE File still requires Access to be installed.

To run an Access application without a full version of access installed requires the the devoloper to produce a runtime package for which he much purchase a licence.

Not if you use a membership system, and user can select which models to allow public access.

Ref Access, I have a full version of Access 2010, I'd be happy to create a runtime version. Yes you do loose some functionality, but don't you use forms.

I have Visual Studio 2010 installed which might be why I have the option.

Like I said its been a long time since I used Access, its now all SQL Server and Oracle, with Dot Net front ends.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 05/03/2012 17:27:47

Yes, indeed. No problem to specify whether models are public, and/or flight logs are public. Also have a friends system so your friends can see your models, but not everyone else, ala Google+

Also support Facebook/Google/OpenId login/registration.

Edited By John Allen on 05/03/2012 18:26:42

Posted by Andy Green on 05/03/2012 17:20:21:

Not if you use a membership system, and user can select which models to allow public access.

Ref Access, I have a full version of Access 2010, I'd be happy to create a runtime version. Yes you do loose some functionality, but don't you use forms.

I have Visual Studio 2010 installed which might be why I have the option.

Like I said its been a long time since I used Access, its now all SQL Server and Oracle, with Dot Net front ends.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 05/03/2012 17:27:47

Ah, it has changed - according to what I have just read the 2010 runtime version does not need an additional licence so Andy looks like we might be able to do something here. As you might have guessed it's some time since I used an up to date version of Access too - mine is 2003! I wouldn't be surprised if that means 2010 will want to update the database version but I would expect it to be otherwise compatible. If you would like me to zip it and email it to you to play with then please send me a PM with an email address to send it to.

Not ignoring you Olly - this may turn out to be just what you need.

Posted by Ian Jones on 05/03/2012 18:38:59:

...and if you have a signal at the field you could use it on a hand held device. Handy if you have look up something on the maintenance log, Tx settings etc.

I think I can sit back now wink 2.

Edited By Ian Jones on 05/03/2012 18:39:21

Best get started. Now where is that "Grails in Action" book.

Quick update.

The MS Access Db I have developed needs to be setup so that it can be distributed freely. This is a "runtime" version which has some differences in the way way it performs.

So at the moment Andy Green is kindly seeing if it will successfully convert to a runtime version whilst I'm tweaking the original version for general use.

If all this is successful we'll do some user testing and if that is successful we'll look into how it will be distributed. (No problem - just a case of deciding on it and to be fair to Andy's contribution I should discuss this with him first).

All being well this could end up like waiting at the bus stop. Wait ages for database and now this Access one comes along and John Allen's webby one is one the way too. smile p

Hi Ian

Add me to the list, but if I had a choice (or even influence), I would like to see a 'proper' SQL database (ideally a free open source transportable thingie like MySQL), rather than Access mdb as the back end repository, but I appreciate the effort involved (and perhaps the additional complexity for none IT peeps). Happy with the MS Access version as is though as beggars and choosers etc.

Regards

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...