Thunder Tiger Piper Cub

I've just bought this ARTF model 82"wingspan. Though it is intended for i/c power, I'm hoping to convert it to electric power. If anyone has experience of this model and certainly if they have carried out the same conversion I would appreciate their advice !

• 2 months later...
Advert

I've had a hankering to see what "bigger" electric is like. So I'm doing an electric conversion of the World Models Cub at the moment. Its 76" span - so just a little bit smaller. I've not had problems so far. I had to relocate the firewall captive nuts and I'm currently reinforcing the ply formers in the tank bay to take the battery. I intend making the side panel (which is handily a separate unit) hinged so I can get the battery in and out without taking the wing off.

Power is a EFlite Power60 with a 6s battery and 80amp ESC.

I'm considering fitting a sound system once its maidened - the bit downside of electric for me is the loss of the lovely 4st sound!

BEB

Hey, I never claimed it did - but it's a lot more "real" than a whining electric motor (which I don't deny has practicality).

We've done the EP/IC debate to death before - I'm just concerned over BEB's state of mind.

Perhaps some kind Northern soul could pop over to the Wirral with a dampened copy of an old Peter Chinn engine review to apply to his obviously fevered brow?

Sorry Eric, in trying to remove the dupliacte posts I've accidemtally deleted your original as well

embarrassed

The trouble is the forum is so damn slow I'm getting confused whether I'm looking at the current page or the previous one. Sorry again mate.

Re electric - yes gliders next for me Martin! No seriously I just fancied finding out what could be achieved with a larger electric model. As I say I'm planning some experiments with a on-board sound system. Its all good fun! I'm not planning on mothballing my engines Martin - don't worry!

BEB

Posted by ericrw on 07/05/2012 19:03:22:

I've found my Thunder Tiger Piper Cub, very easy to convert from i/c to electric. It has a wingspan of 82.7"

What motor did you use and do you have a photo of the instalation, and were do you put the batteries.

Peter

I think they mean the amount of right thrust and down thrust you've set on the motor, Eric. If you haven't set any, the Cub will tend to turn left and climb at higher throttle settings.

With that mount, you can easily adjust it to put in a couple of degrees of right thrust and about the same of down. That should make it behave quite benignly through the throttle range.......thumbs up

Pete

I've just had a look at the build manual and see that 2 deg right thrust is advised (photo 66); photo 67 shows the engine mounted and there appears to be a tad of downthrust built-in on the firewall, as Martin suggests.

An examination with the Mk 1 eyeball should resolve it......thumbs up

Pete