How to treat a crashed engine ?

Chris Procter

Well it had to happen, but so soon crying

My Irvine Tutor went in today and buried the SC 46 into the turf. I was on the buddy box and a gust of wind flipped the trainer with very little height to recover. The instructor is a great chap and feels awful but I completely understand, it's just the nature of the hobby.

My main question is , what's the best way to treat this engine now ?

It's in good visual condition and seems ok, turns over fine but I can't be sure it hasn't eaten some soil. The prop broke off near the base (one side) and the carb intake was not blocked with soil. What should I be concerned with after this engine has been put into another Tutor 40 ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Cheers

Chris

Advert

Hi Chris, I second Frank here. Give it a wash in warm soapy water and an old paint brush if it looks bad, then I would take a bit longer before commiting to the air. to allow any blockage ( if you have one) to clear. It might be a good idea to check the clunk in case it has folded back on itself due to the hard landing. Cheers.

Next time (!!!) it's best NOT to turn the engine over before checking for any foreign matter having entered it - after carefully cleaning the engine externally, take the carb off (I'm assuming it's a 2 stroke) and check the area around the crankshaft port for any signs of dirt ingress - if anything is found, get someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to strip and clean it before running it again. A few small particles of grit can do an awful lot of damage to your engine.

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/03/2012 13:24:06

Hi Chris, I happens to us all...A two stroke is not difficult to strip down and clean. As Martin says, don't turn it over, or you may scratch the internals with the muck. If you do take it to bits, its good to mark any bits that may go in the wrong way round. I wash the bits in hot water, using a toothbrush to get into the corners, then reassemble with 3in1

ernie

All good advice from the guys there....I assume the throttle was closed before it hit the deck....? If so then it will probably have just filled the carb intake....clean around the carb mounting & then remove it from the engine & give it a really good scrub under running water with a toothbrush to get rid of all the dirt. If you are confident that no dirt has gone into the engine then re-assemble the carb & you should be good to go...

Personally I would always strip down a crashed engine....as Ernies says a two stroke is not difficult to take apart & it can then be fully flushed & cleaned out....get someone who knows what they are doing to show you & next time you will be able to do your own......ensure you use a bit of oil on re-assembly to ensure sufficient lubrication on start up....thumbs up

HTH

I'm with Steve and the others, never turn it over - always strip a crashed engine, at least partially. Carb off, head off and back plate off. Then thoroughly clean it all. Then use 3 in 1 during the rebuild (along with bolts of course!).

2 strokes are pretty easy, just get someone to show you next time, which hopefully will be a long time!

Cheers
Ed

Thanks all,

I think in my initial panic and despair I turned the engine once to see if there was any resistance, big oops !

The throttle was shut so hopefully it's ok, will get someone to show us a strip down and rebuild. I'm replacing the airframe this week so it's back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Chris