Flying in stronge Winds 13-20mph - What type of plane is best?

Tony H

Hi All,

I thought I would pick your brains and get some opinions on good types of planes for windy conditions.

Is it best to have a slightly heavier plane with a fairly large wing and lots of power?

Or is it best to have a small jet like light plane which will cut through the wind?

Any thoughts?

The only cheap plane I have ever flown in 20mph winds was my foamie Swift II flying wing, I am more interested in balsa construction type aircraft.

Advert

Windy usually means gusts and blustery weather in which case a heavier plane will fly better as it won't get blown around so much. Power is certainly good to penetrate against the wind. Something relatively slippery is good too.

I always also keep my flying wings for windy weather- not sure if a balsa one is available

Hello Tony.

it all depends on how much fun you want to have, and how competant a flyer you are.

The plane does not know how strong the wind is , so long as it has suitable power to go forward it will fly. Even a trainer will fly in those conditions.

i love flying my Majestic major when it is blowing a gale because I can get it to stop and hover, or fly backwards.

The best sport plane I fly is the kit built version of the Wot 4, this can handle any conditions and still let you have fun.

I was flying an Acro wot in 25 knot winds the other week, along with a sand storm which reduced visibility greatly, but as you know we are a mad breed and determination gets the better of you.

Darryl

Richard Wood has already posted exactly what was in my head, my 20 year old WOT4 MkII has a big wing, is heavy enough not to be too bothered by strong winds.

In contrast however I'm also found to be flying my Multiplex Blizzard in similar conditions. It's very slim and has loads of power with its tuning set.

Two very different planes, it depends what type of flying characteristics you are looking for on the day.

I wouldn't recommend a small or light weight plane.

Another good windy weather model I remember from way back was the

Cotswold Tracer club 20 racer - just for flying as a sport model.

Great fun & very fast on an Irvine 20, but sadly no longer available.

A similar model is the RM Racer plan no. RM232.

Edited By Richard Wood on 05/03/2012 14:31:07

13 - 20 mph thats a light breeze man

most planes over 2 kg with a 61 up front should do well with a nice fat wing section

mainly low wing katana or caps edges i would choose some at our club would say even high wing cubs as long as it heavy enough

i got a db sports biplane thats great up to 35 mph

just pick your landing straight and fly it in