AOL

DH 82A

Hello, Forumites, I wonder if any one else is using AOL as an ISP? If so what do they think of it? In the past year or so, I keep getting more and more of "not responding", does anyone else find this ? Is this a problem with AOL, or the phoneline. TIA

Advert

AOL is absolutely swamped with ad contect. Performance isn't great and on the occasions I've had to resort to their helpline the service is expensive, careless, and - to be frank - rubbish.

Four calls to resolve one issue. Second and third calls completely contradictory advice, plus on one occasion simply left hanging (able to hear all the background chat in the call centre) for a full 15 mins. Issue resolved very simply at 4th time of trying, which only made the previous 3 calls all the more frustrating.

Their home network router performance, should you have an issue is - get this - guaranteed up to eight FEET. That's useful, isn't it?!

I'm still with them through inertia, but WILL be changing shortly. If anyone is looking to sign up to a new providerthen no matter what your preference is - price, performance, service, whatever - I don't think AOL have a single redeeming feature

Never used them myself AOL were one of the earlier ISPs and initially very successful, but they seemed to become very perscriptive in how you used the internet etc. I worked for a company that was based in Dubai and any e-mails were sent out via our Dubai server, but we had several spells where AOL had arbitarilly blocked all e-mails from the Middle East.

I'm with Plus Net and they've been OK, my son has 02 at uni and is very pleased with that (very fast and reduced rate as he has an O2 mobile)

I had been with AOL for some years. I got fed up with it getting slower. More drop outs, adverts plastered to everything. Even having to step, step, step through add on rubbish to reach anything on their front page. Now with the BT package as I already had the phone anytime contract, and total cost is ok. A plus point is getting Internet just about anywhere with thier FON and Hotspot service.

So far it has proven faster and cleaner. I did keep my basic E-mail with AOL as it saves a lot of hassle changing hundreds of contacts. Importing contacts both E-mail and Favourites, to BT, was quite painless too.

I'm with Virgin here (and have been since it was Cabletel and later NTL) and the only problem I ever had was a faulty connection and also a faulty modem - in saying that their 'service' can take a few days before they get round to repair or replace.

It started as 256 Kb/s download, increased to 512, then 1 Mb/s and is going up in the next month to 2 Mb/s at no extra charge

btw - it's Echelon does the snooping - MI# snoops on the US and tells the CIA and the CIA does it for here (and then passes it on to MI# - that way they aren't snooping on their own people winkcheekylaugh)

The "user" must do the Importing contacts. It must be painless or I could not have done it laugh I can't remember the direct route to doing it, just that it is fairly obvious in one of the menu tabs in the new software. You would need to do this before removing AOL from your machine, if that is your chioce.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 08/03/2012 19:52:44:

In Internut Exploder, click on 'favorites', then the down triangle beside 'Add to Favorites..' and in that there is an import/export option

Hi, Daithi, I did what you suggest, it asks " do you want to import from a browser " and the only choice is from Firefox, which seems strange.

Looks like AOL modified it to suit themselves (so you won't find it easy to quit them)

However what just might work (no guarantees) is to install Firefox and in the setting up, try to import the favourites (it may work with AOL - it does with IE). Then you can save those from FF

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 09/03/2012 16:37:53