Newbies

Clarky

Hi rodderstrotter, The rule of thumb with instructing I have heard is to have the student flying "two errors up" I am afraid with such small models that is not really possible as at that height I certainly would struggle to see it, not to say your eyesight isn't better than mine LOL. Murray has the right idea with an electric glider plenty of model to see at height. and very slow to react. I learned originally on a glider, my little sister pulling it up on a 100' of fishing line. If I was lucky I got a 30 second flight. Many instructors insist on buddy leads and the likes, many of the small rtf's haven't this facility so learning could be a long process of snatching the transmitter backwards and forwards. I am not saying you cannot learn this way, but it won't be as easy, and I can understand peoples reluctance to offer formal training. A terrific cheap simulator is the RC PlaneMaster, software and USB Tx for £19.99 a real bargain if you can find one. Good luck, enjoy, and let us know how you get on?

Advert

Hey Rodderstrotter, I've read all of your threads and I sympathise. However all is not lost in my opinion. I have only been flying for just under a year and guess what... I started with a JP Electrafun glider, it cost £70.00 and everything was included. Danny is right about buying a glider. I never knew whether or not I would like the hobby either so I didnt want to lay out much money. The glider taught me whether or not I liked the concept of a flying model which I did. Danny is very right in the fact they do not handle well in wind and your patience may be tested by windy days and no flying where as the club planes you will see are able to fly in much higher wind. The electra fun was only three channel, basic throttle control, rudder and elevator. If you like it you might want to progress into a larger parkflyer. I bought the Parkzone Mustang. I smashed it to pieces on my first flight. This is where I come to my point. If you want to fly a plane and see if you like it, by something fairly basic, electric glider for beginners for your local park. If you like it alot then think about learning to fly properly. Join a club and get involved, you wont look back. Its one of the best hobbies you can have and the people on this site are so helpful. I have just bought my first proper trainer and have joined a local club. They are very helpful and you will soon realise the difference in parkflyers to club planes I promise. Much more challenging, much more fun and much to learn. So give it a go. All the best Clarky

Guys!! My Apache 2 is fixed!! ( by the way it looks very simular to a Cesna)it has an os 40 which sound great!! The weather is good this weekend so im off to the club for my maiden flight!! No beer for me on Saturday night!! Well may be just a couple!!! Im a little nervous but cant wait to see her stir to life and see her in the air where she belongs......
I will give you all an update after the weekend...wish me luck,a very excited 38 year old!! Spence.Welcome Rodderstrotter by the way,the advise given on this thread has been vital to me,its great to share stories and see how everyone is progressing.Good luck mate.

hey spence, whoopee. I bet your like a kidi with a new bag of sweets. Good luck on saturday mate, all the best. I'm off to the club myself on the sunday for my arising stars maiden flight too. Lets hope they go well, All the best Spence,
Clarky

Hi Rodders, I live in southend, the club I go to is in Leigh on sea, two tree island. There are two clubs both operating from the same site. http://www.semasflyingclub.co.uk/

http://hometown.aol.com/ramchair/SRFC.html
Do you know southend well, where are you from, did I read Kent back in the threads??
Clarky

Well the Wot 4 flew straight as a die!! blowing an absolute hoolie and nobody else ventured near the field but me. I thought I would at least run a tank of fuel through the J'EN 57 as it is still not completely run in. And the neighbours were getting fed up of me running it in the garden. A small gathering of modellers eventually showed up and came over to see who the nut was, his plane nailed to the grass by two screwdrivers to stop it getting blown away! There were no instructors, but one of the chaps who I have spoken to before and seems to know his stuff, (thanks Paul) looked over the model and helped me with a range check. Anyway he then offered to give it a shake down flight, he isn't an instructor so wasn't officially able to give me a go. It did look fantastic to finally see the result of a pile of wood flying so well. never mind there will always be another weekend. And at least it hasn't been re-kitted.

Hey people i managed to get down to the flying field on saturday for my second flight with my tutor 40. The wind was a bit stronger than last time i was there.So I took off and the instructor showed me the complete bronze flight. I had a go at the manouvers and the instructer said i was doing good so i then had to land. when coming in for landing i cut the throttle a little too soon and because the wind was stronger the plane slowed down quicker and the result was the plane landed quite hard mainly on its nose wheel. I checked the plane over and it was fine, I just bent the nose wheel back again and I went up for a second flight. I had a bit of fun and did some rolls and loops and things which was cool and then practiced my landings. They were much better than my first attempt and I landed it again and fueled up.

One good thing I have noticed with the tutor 40 is that it comes with a really big tank and coupled with an irvine .46 which im told is quite fuel efficient, I have around 40 minutes of flying time!

Reluctantly I gave the transmitter over to my dad who wanted a go. For most of the flight I could'nt watch because he was getting the plane into all sorts of wierd attitudes and the instructer had to take controll numerours times! Anyway the instructor landed it and let my dad take off again after a refuel. But just after the plane took off the engine spluttered and died for no apparent reason! It was at a height of only about 5 meters and the instructer took controll and managed to land it before it went into the scrub and the end of the strip. The result was a bent nose wheel again so that was straitened up. I have no idea why the engine failed so I am just hoping that it wont happen again!

After that the instructer decided that i should go solo because he thought i was confident enough! It was a bit disconcerting not having the instructer next to me but I just did what I did on the simulator and a few rough landings and bent nose wheels later it was time to head home...aawww!!. I was really chuffed going solo on my second flight and again I will say: use a simulator! It really helps!

Angus, yeah ive tried a few,mainly for helicopters,i tried a few for fixed wing and i do think they give you an idea and perseption of flight,especialy when turning its easy to get disorientated.

Antony is bang on in terms of club rules etc but i guess you need a little "taster" to keep the enthusiasm up.?!!

Talking of simulaters, a really should buy an updated version,any ideas? and how much a half decent one cost???

Spence.

Well done Angus, thats fantastic! And I don't mean on the longest thread response LOL I am a firm believer in the simulator, they are not so realistic when it comes to being buffetted about but at least your inputs become instinctive. I think when preparing for your "A" you can fly solo provided an instructor is close by, but it varies with clubs I believe. Obviously the instructor would not be happy with doing that unless he was comfortable with your skills, and yours clearly is! well done :)
As I have said many times before, and several members at a recent simulator night agreed, the RealityCraft PlaneMaster with USB Tx for £19.99 is very good value. Have you tried it Spence?

Hey Angus you star mate !! fantastic news. well done very pleased for you chap. Looks like you will be on your way to getting that A Certificate in no time. Good on you. I cant wait to go myself, it seems to be taking ages, like Spence I was caught in with wind this weekend but perhaps this one will be next. Otherwise I'll be booking time of work in the week to get down there LOL. Take it easy all
Clarky

Hi Spence, it sounds like you have the wrong one. The one you want should have a USB TX. I think you have ordered the one with the cable to allow you to use your own Tx to paralell port. I have heard people have had trouble with getting their Tx to use the parallel port.
This is what you need
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=21328

Oh dear, it was from the sussex shop that i purchased it from? It says it comes with tx and cable etc....will see if it works or NOT as the case may be.
Cheers Danny.Weather looks fab in the North West for this weekend so fingers crossed chaps that its chocks away...Clarky surely you and I will get our maiden flights this weekend!!!!!!?? By the way went up to the club last night and there was some lovely inducted fan models being flown,WOW they were quick and had a lovely sound as well. Was speaking with some of the guys last night and they said that the kits come pretty cheap,bout £150 quid all in?? What are they like to fly?? Im guessing you have to be experienced to fly them as they were so quick?Any way im looking at running before i can walk!!! Spence.