Newbies

Clarky

Hi Graham that would be good scale project, pick a plane, research, design the drawings (or modify available ones) build, and fly. Start to finish scale LOL
If you have your camera, and the weather is bright, I would certainly love to have some pictures, I will build her one day. Its certainly worth a pint or two if you make it to any of the Midlands events.
I did find this on the web, url[http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5722922]

Well second trip to the field is over. Im not sure what happened but I just couldnt get it all together. Maybe it was the change in wind direction coupled with the fact my hands got very cold. Anyway the plane survived - its just my nerves a little in tatters. Apparently its quite common for the second flight to be a little less inspiring than the first. Anyway despite that I still thoroughly enjoyed myself.
So what did I do? WEll My circuits were terrible - its the only way I can describe them. The plane just kept going off at the wrong angles and my brain was not compensating quick enough. However I did get to do a couple of loops which were fun - but the real fun came when the instructor got me to do a half loop and then turn and fly off at the top of the loop. He followed that by getting me to fly in low across the strip reducing power as if I was going to land - and then powering up again. real good fun.
What did I learn?
Well I could repeat what I said at the end of my first post. But I think the emphasis would be on concentration this time. You must keep the concentration up - particularly if the wind conditions are not what you previouusly experienced.
One thing I did find was that in the changed wind conditions I found that turns were effected. I kind of had it in my mind that it would be the same as last week. It wasnt. Just having the wind change direction completely changed my problem.
Oh yes one very important thing I learned - make sure you dress warm on a day like today. What might be suitable when going shopping and you are constantly on the move is not going to work when you are stood still in a bightingly cold wind.

Hopefully I shall get a day when we have less wind and I shall begin to appreciate how hard Im having to cope at the moment.

Antony,Keep at it!! You are going through what I call,as an ex military man "basic training" its tough my friend but worth it!! Nerves are good cos it stops you from being "cocky", I know as i have crashed 3 helis!! And as for the cold.......? Fingerless gloves, flask of tea,welly boots and the thought of that perfect loop will keep you going, good luck mate.

I was the same when I learned Antony. Some weeks I seemed to progress and others I flew as if I was holding the TX for the first time. All part of the learning curve.
The trick is to keep at it and fly every week or more often if possible. If you have 3-4 flights a session you'll always find the first flight is nervy as you get back in the groove and settle down, don't expect too much from the first flight but the second and thid flights will be better.

I managed to get down to the patch today and I gave my tutor 40 to my instructer to give it its first flight! It turned out that it was badly out of trim and it was droping the nose and banking to the left considerably so he altered the trim and it flew realy well.

He let me have controll and it was just like the simulator. I flew figures of eight, circuits and some square circuits. My glider experience really helped and i had a confidence boost by being on the buddy system. My instructor was very encouraging and he tought me to roll and loop in the first few flights which was awsome! In the last few flights he got me to do some low passes to practice landing run ups. After a few of them he said I was doing so well that he reccommended that i landed myself! I was realy surprised because so many people had told me not to expect to land on your first time at the field. But i gave it a go and on the second attempt i landed! It was a bit of a bouncer but it was a landing none the less! The instructer said that it wouldent be long untill i couild try for my bronze certificate. I think the thing that helped me the most was the time I spent on the simulator in the club house. I would recommend anyone to get some practice on one before they fly for real. Im sure thats why i had such a good few flights.

Hi guys sorry i have been indulging in Danny's four letter word "W". Clarky i bought a phoenix Paragon ARF. kit with a Irvine 53 2 stroke (made by OS) fly's like a dream and easy to learn live in Durban Kwa Zulu Natal South Africa and generally get good weather most days. I joined a local club unfortunately not many around not so populated as you are slight lack of trainers so currently teaching myself, but thanks to RCM&E for the training schedules they are putting out I belong to the old billies gang and get to fly from 06h00 to 10h00 on Mon & FRI. close now nice to read how everyone is coping

Well done Angus, one up for the simulator gang then. I have done hours on the flaming thing. Just bought another Tx, this return to flying is costing me a bundle. I now have another JR a 2720 to go with the PCM9X11. The PCM on mode 1 for the instructor and the new 2720 on mode 11 for me. No reason I can't get an instructor now! I have some catching up to do with you and Clarky!
Hi Bryan I envy your weather, but perhaps not the isolation, let us know how you get on :)

Hello everyone,
Glad to hear how everyone is doing,
Well done with the flight today Angus, It does not sound long until your going solo!
I went to my local club today for the first time and could not have been made more welcome. The good weather had brought out a complete range of people, and I was lucky enough to have a long chat with the chairman of the club who explained the rules, training shedule and what is expected of club members, Not to mention the sight of a large 80cc sukhoi being put through its paces, I have seen plenty of pictures of planes in RCM&E "prop hanging" but to see it actually happening with such a large model was very impressive.
Unfortunatley, I do the dreaded "W" word offshore so my shifts limit me to which training nights at the club field I can attend, but I will persevere. Will have to buy a simulator to take offshore with me to help pass the time LOL.
Regards
Dave P

Hi All. Antony it sounds like your doing really well, I doubt every trip to the field will be the same as the last in this game, that's what makes it so challenging, I bet you all agree, especially some of the veterans :-). WELL DONE ANGUS !! Your hitting the mark, landing on your first flight, that's impressive, good luck mate keep the updates coming. Hey Bryan, I've had a look at the paragon, looks like a good trainer, enjoy your flying. Thanks Danny and David for your constant advice, we all need it here!!
Just to let you know I went to my club today and my arising star finally burst into engine action, it was great to hear her start. A guy at the club helped me with a few bits and peices and has given me advice ready for next weeks first flight. Unfotunately it was just too windy for my trainer today, even the larger planes were being blown around a bit, all but the F15 Jet turbine which just shot through the air at over 150 mph.. gulp. Anyway I'll be ready next week and will update you all. I'm busy with the W word this week as I guess most of you are. Anyway all have a great one and catch up soon, Clarky

Hi all,

Good to read about those of you starting from new (good luck) and some of us getting back into it...(more good luck).

I am currently looking to find a good friendly club, that can over see my regained passion for flying, I am sure to be rusty as a nail!

Can anyone recommend a club for me? I now live in South West London.

Many thanks and good luck to all.

Murray.

Welcome back Murray, more rusty thumbs, theres a few of us now LOLOL. I am up in the Midlands near Lichfield, so cannot really be of much assistance. If you look on the BMFA website there is a club listing, though sometimes this is frustrating as it gives club names but not always addresses LOL
http://BMFA.org/clubs/

Hello Murray, nice to meet you. getting back into it eh. I am shocked by the amount of people coming back to flying. It's nearly as much as people getting into it for the first time. I live in southend so I cant recommend any clubs, Danny was right when he recommended the BMFA website, its the best. I am trying to find a good club for my father in law in norfolk to join. They are listed all over the country on there. Hi everyone else, not much to report from me, just working my nuts off as usual, hey ho, cant wait till weekend. Speak soon,
Clarky

Hi all, new to flying and looking for help. I want to fly electric RTF's as it seems to be a good entry point as costs are low and the models are designed to take some 'novice' punishment whilst at the same time provide fun flying. Having found a number of clubs in Kent, I find that they are not interested in providing training on these RTF models. Why?.....ummm, my conclusion is that these models are seen to be 'toys' and therefore the clubs do not want to be involved. Instead I should spend around £250~300 on a trainer, join a club £100 and with the necessary insurance this amounts to £500 just to find out if I can fly and enjoy the experience!!!

If anyone has any positive suggestions or knows of a 'welcoming' club please reply, if anyone is in a similar position and would like to form a RTF Flyers For Fun (RTFFFF) club then let me know. Happy to travel up to one hour from Orpington to achieve this.

Hi and welcome, I am not so sure that costs are low with leccy. The start up costs can be quite high, I am looking at trying leccy myself. The problem with the smaller models and learning to fly with them, is that they get buffeted around a fair bit and can be difficult to fly. You really are at the mercy of the wind. A model with a higher wing loading will handle the wind better, but then they fly so fast that they are out of sight quite quickly. A model of about 56" wingspan is really ideal, an electric model that size will cost much more than IC in my oppinion.
Can you give us an example of the type of rtf you are talking about?

Hi Danny, thanks for the reply. Agree that very small RTF's can be difficult. My son gave me a 'toy' AeroJex, for Christmas. This is what has ignited my interest. Yes it is at the mercy of the wind, but this sure helps you start to learn to control the beast. Last night it was dead calm and I flew for 5~6 mins on one battery, up to 78~80 feet I estimate, it was good fun!!!

Now the family has bought me a Hobbyzone Commander 2, lucky me!! Not flown yet as the field I use is very rough for landings. Whole plane, FM radio was £60.00 from Howes Modeles online.

Hi Clarky, Cheers for the words!

Maybe it's a sign of the times! We all need a divertion from work etc, I know I certainly do! And it's better for you than going to the pub too often, although I enjoy that too!

Hello rodderstotter, welcome to the world of fun, I hope. Sorry to hear about you finding a few snobs in the clubs, I was taught by a rather nice chap who saw me with my electric glider out on Wormwood scrubs.

That was a nice aircraft, ARTF, with a 600 size motor and Ni-Cad Batteries, That was what I cut my teeth on.

The next aircraft was a high wing trainer, such as Danny mentioned, with a .40 size glow engine.
Great fun to build, ARTF again, but this really helped me get my hand in, not too expensive either!

After that...the list grows exponentially, like my age!

Of course I do recommend a Flight sim such as Reflex XTR etc, A good way to get our sixth sense honed.

Best of luck!