Newbies

Clarky

David,
Yes, sorry its for the "seagull arising star" trainer. Thanks for the advice, I also realised after I posted the question that there is the "Propping up" feature by Andy Ellison on the site which explains Prop choice in detail.
Also realised today, my shiny new engine does not come with a glow plug, so its off to the model shop tommorrow for glow plugs, props and fuel.
regards
Dave.

WOW hi all, I've just got back from Norfolk, had a lovely weekend. Unfortunately the weather was too windy to show my father in law the mustang. However I took a deep breath and chucked the glider up thinking it may be ok when it gets higher. I was very wrong, it looked more like a drunken mosquito in the air, luckily I got it back safe and sound before it got blown away, wont be doing that again. ;-)
Antony well done mate, sounds like your doing really well, Good on you and thanks so much for all those tips, they are invaluble. I cant wait, I'm nearly done now. Servo linkages all done and just waiting to plug the receiver in and centralise all of the servos. I see what you mean about the servo control rods, I dont think they are great,. I'll look into that and get them changed as soon as possible.
Hi Dave P, no worries, I've got a 10*6 on mine, should be fine so I'm told, good luck. Oh and dont forget to buy a twister to start the engine and fuel pump, I went for a manual one to save cash.
Hi Spence, did you make the purchase yet??

Hi Allan J, Angus, Dave A. :-)

Anyway chaps so pleased to read all the notes, this thread is turning out to be very popular and educational at the same time. Look forward to the weekend eh !! Speak soon,
Clarky

Hi Clarky, Not made purchase yet, im one of these people that needs to see what I buy before i buy it, so im off next weekend to look around some model shops in the NW and then I will decide what to get. I agree with Clarky that there has been some great advice given over the past few weeks. I am now confident that any problems that I may have in the future can be resolved through this thread........thanks all.
By the way, prop size question for you? Bigger the prop the faster the plane will fly? May sound a funny question but I have no idea what differance prop size can make.

Hi Gang, my take on this is that a larger diameter prop swings slower, which means it is more efficient. The thing that alters the speed the aircraft will reach however is more to do with the pitch of the blade. A coarse pitch of say 8 or 10 means for each revolution the prop theoretically could move 8 or 10 inches forward. a prop of pitch 4 would move say 4" with each revolution. The drawback with the higher pitch is that it is like putting your car in a low gear the airframe will not pick up speed well, but will go faster (eventually) So it is a balance between the diameter, and the pitch. A trainer shouldn't need more than a 6" pitch, that will allow it to accelerate well, but top speed will not be too fast to manage. The other thing is an over large prop acts like a flywheel for the engine and means that a really low idle speed can be maintained. This is useful for landing, as a slowly spinning prop creats loads of drag, much more than dead stick. I used to run a 13 x 4 on an OS 40 in a WW1 biblane it would burble around all day without the usual scream of a two stroke.

Hey all, I have been unable to go down to the patch for the last 3 or 4 weeks now due to bad weather and im getting really bored. I want to have a crack at building a piper cub from a kit over plans. I have been looking at the db sport and scale cub (dbsportandscale.com) and it looks really good for a bigginner to flying and building like me. Can anyone tell me if it is a good kit? Or if there are any other cub kits you can recommend?

Hi Angus. The Flair Cub doesnt really have a plan just a booklet describing each step. Its mainly a ply frame. Once the main formers were fitted in place onto the sides I put the fusalage in a jig to complete it. The kit comes in two varieties - foam core wing or built up wing. The built up wing has a plan for that I believe (I have the foam core wing). Its an easy enough build. So far (apart from having some warped panels) the biggest headache has been fitting the top cowl. Anyway I have another post up about my attempts at building this in the building section on the forum. I shall be updating it soon so you might want to take a look on there for the problems Ive had to date.

You are welcome Antony and Spence glad my ramblings made sense LOL
I know what you mean Angus, finished the Wot4 nearly a month ago and what with no mode II instructors and horrid weather I too am bored. Have ordered some plans. 1. a Brian taylor Hurricane plan, with laser cut bits from Bob Holman in the States. 2 A nice big Tipsy Trainer plan (84") caught my eye, my Dad and I used to fly in his restored Tipsy trainer G-AISB when I was younger so found memories. My father also spent ten years building an Andreasson BA-4b bipe, which was sadly destroyed during a landing mishap on its maiden flight, so I had to order a plan of that. Talking of Cubs, Angus, you might want to do a search on a Cub he and I also used to travel the UK in G-BBYB, its still around.I think its been badly burned and restored at least twice in its history, I would like to find a nice plan for that but so far they are nearly all for the J-3. let us know what you find?

Hi Angus yes, I think it was a prop strike following a bad swing on landing. Nearly hit a helicopter! My father originally bought it from Doncaster Aero Club in the early 70's I think, and restored it. No electrics back then. no radio, no navigation, hand swing the prop! Interestingly it was flown from the front seat, those were the days LOL I am not sure if the RAF used the Cub/L4 they had the Auster. But I am sure somebody on here will know differently. I have just found G-AISB its gone to Europe and been re-registered. Shame that as it was one of only three G-AISA,B,C Dad used bits originally from "C" to restore his G-AISB, I notice that G-AISB crashed a couple of years ago and suffered wing damage, but has again been restored. Thanks for your interest, sorry, for the essay LOL

Hi Graham thats great that its still flying, My father and I had to put it down in a farmers field once on the way back to Yorkshire from Old warden. The weather closed in from all sides and it got dangerous so we had to land. it is amazing how clear fields look until youre commited to landing. We managed to chose one that was sloping, had telegraph wires, and low bushes! Despite a low pass to check it first. We had to take off again and move to an adjacent field as the cows that were hiding in our chosen field are known to chew on fabric. The farmer was at the gate to meet us, he wasn't smiling as we had scared his cattle.
Happy days, say hi to her for me Graham.

Hi All, sorry it's been a while I've been stacked this week. It's been very interesting reading your conversation regarding the CUB. Theres obviously a lot of history there Danny, your last post was a classic. Anyway chaps I thought I would give you an update. I've been waiting for my receiver to come through for ages, there had been problems with the distribution apparently, typical. However it arrived yesterday meaning my whole evening was spent setting the servos and making checks on the plane. I'm really excited. I'm going to go to my local club on sunday to ask them to check the plane over. Unfortuntaley they only fly electric on sundays but there will still be one of the instructors there to help I'm sure. Once done I can look forward to my first flight next saturday I hope. !!
How's it going everybody else, where are you all at, let me know :-) Cheers all,
Jez

This thread is very interesting to read,Danny do still fly the "real" things?? I used to fly a Gazelle helicopter when i served in the Army,I flew all around Germany whilst serving a 2 year secondment with the Army air corps 1990-92.Sadly i could not transfer to the AAC (I was A Royal Marine ) and so ended my flying career,I spent a fab 5 years in total flying Gazelles, I just loved it. I remember once we were low level flying and the mist and cloud base dropped around us,we had to land in a farmers field too!! He was German and built like a tank and very angry,but after some polite words and reasoning we ( my co-pilot and I) spent the night at his farm house drinking homemade german beer......damn fine stuff it was to!!
Anyway im rambling on a bit but just thought i would share my story as your thread bought back some fond memories

Hi Spence, alas not. Officially I never flew, if you get my drift. Growing up around light aircraft the way I did I was always in the back of something with my dad flying, whizzing off to inspect some wreck somewhere in the UK. It was very unnoficial and you flew by railway lines, and it wasn't unheard of to swoop down to check motorway signs if you were really unsure where you were LOL wouldn't be allowed nowadays and probably quite right to. I hope we don't get thrown of this site for all our full size ramblings lolol. Any of the newbies/returnees fancy meeting up at Weston for a beer and story swap in June, they must have a beer tent?