First Model Covered

Essef

Just in the process of repairing both a Precedent T180 and T240 the latter being under conversion to petrol, and have just finished the 180s recovering with white solarfilm.

For a first time modeller this was one aspect that concerned me ,but after starting with the smaller bits then moving on to the bigger sections and realising that after ironing on----my heat gun made the job a breeze and although not 100% perfection im pretty pleased with the outcome for my first attempt.

Stephen yes

Edited By Essef on 08/03/2012 15:08:44

Edited By Essef on 08/03/2012 15:09:47

Advert

Hi Steven

Well done!

Are you going to finish the T240 in film?

Another option would be Solartex. This is a woven fabric which is ironed onto the structure and then shrunk tight. It's more expensive than Solarfilm but it's easier to use, it's more puncture resistant and it's tuff!

Posted by Peter Miller on 09/03/2012 08:15:14:

Solarfilm Supershrink Polyester is much better than ordinary Solarfilom with regard to heat tolerance and it does not sag in the sun.

For those who don't know, you can laso get it in matt colours for warbirds.

I'll second that. It was really drummed home to me how much better Polyester is when an old roll I dug out for the current model turned out to be Solarfilm.

Thanks All

As im converting the T240 to petrol i was going to use Profilm on the big fella but i bow to your expertise so please recommend away.

Jta i do hope i have'nt overstreched the solarfilm on the 180 as it looks pretty good and am adding some colour -blue-green to break it up a little but deciding on the design pattern is proving harder than i thought.

Stephen

I always use profilm,another polyester type film,expensive but worth it in the long run,I have yet to burn a hole in profilm,

Burnig holes in Solarfilm is dead easy, now how do i know that ??

never tried the solarfilm polyester type yet but it must be ok if recommended by Peter Miller

I have found Profilm to be pretty good, solarfilm ok for smaller models. Solartex unpainted type I enjoyed the most, better for larger models or when using Diesel engines, better at awkward corners like wing tips. Some of the guys advised me that Shrinking dope used after normal shrinking of Solartex tightens and hardens the surface even better. Not tried this yet though.

The Pre-painted Solartex needs care or the paint surface gets damaged when using the covering Iron.