Easy Pigeon.

Advert

I bought one a couple of years ago from Galaxy. It came with a three channel radio, 3800 mAh NiMH battery and charger with a 600 "can" motor. Flying surfaces are built up and fuselage is a moulded plastic of some sort.

I like it and have flown it in winds over 35 mph as well as flat calm and as a camera platform with a key fob camera.

HTH,

Malcolm

The EP fuselage looks to be identical to the one used by Protech for their Unlimited 600 & a couple of other models.

I bought an Unlimited with the original aileron wings together with a spare fus/tail a few years ago. Last year I made a bitsa from the spare fus & an old OD 6 ft polyhedral wing. Both models now fitted with brushless motors on 3s. Judging from the marks & dents on them when I got them the fuselages are very crash resistant but easily straightened them out with a heat gun. The original hatch/canopies were pretty useless so I made new ones using pop bottles then later moulded a couple of GF ones.

Hi FB3

The model is very robust easy to fly and cheap ,not a floater but performs well in average weather conditions and will thermal in reasonable lift ,There are several EP gliders based on the pretty well the same fus which is very strong but very little sticks to the material which is a sort of blow moulded polypropylene ,JP also do the Albatross and Blue bird that use the same build techniques ,the wings are made from a very hard wood .

Tom.

I had an easy pigeon some years ago. The only ARTF that I ever liked.

I had one flight of 1 hour 16 minutes and I still had enough battery power for another climb but was too tired to bother.

I have also found very marginal lift by following a seagull in the field in front of the house.

Great model

I quite like the weight of the NiMH battery in mine which weighs just under one pound - it acts like ballast making the model very stable in strong winds. It's no real problem in calmer weather as, having power available one can start the motor at any time to climb back up to height if thermal activity is low.

There is a potential problem in calm conditions as with this extra weight it comes in very quickly and I have on some occasions had to make more than one approach to land where I want having misjudged the height when turning onto finals and had to open up and go round again - sometimes more than once. blush

Malcolm

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 12/03/2012 20:52:40

Had mine into clouds on many occasions, also did the "pop" bottle canopy!!! Don't land in stubble or you will wreck the wing covering. I have just got one of the foam electric modern things ( Radian pro ) which is imho a better bet. It is more expensive but I feel it has better longevity ( fingers crossed!!!).

I have a few Nebula models which are very similar to the EP and all converted to outrunner. I also have a Radian Pro. It is a good flier but very soon looses its appearance with the foam scratching. It will not take heavy landings and breaks quite easily although I have managed to glue it back together with EHU and tape.

I've been having a lot of fun flying a West Wings Orion-E made from their kit. Its a rudder/elevator/esc job which is similar to the Easy Pigeon. The kit is all laser cut and went together easily and even with my limited building skills made an attractive glider which flies well. I'd recommend it as a first soarer, the kit only costs £41. I already had a motor and servos and borrowed a receiver from another plane, so all I needed was an esc and a folding prop making it a cheap way of getting started in soaring. I'm now considering my next soarer, possibly a TT Hawk or a Radian. To move on from R/E I'd need the Radian Pro. Another alternative is the Hyperflight Zircon which is built up, has ailerons (which can be used as crow brakes) and is red transparent film covered. Probably about the same price as a Radian Pro, slightly smaller at 72 inch span and in my view it looks better, Hyperflight have an excellent reputation so I'm tempted. Whatever you get, good luck and have fun.

Hi BP, yes I was looking at the Orion-E, due to its budget price. I am after an electric assist thermal glider or soarer. So many of these so called, are flown as electric planes rather as a thermal gliders which is what I want. I would prefer to build my own, but now the weather is improving I have lots to do. Therefore an ARTF job will have to do ( my first ever). Cheers, but if the weather worseons, I would still have time to build an Orion.  Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 13/03/2012 19:34:40

You are spot on FB3. I also have TT eHawk and it needs power most of the time although if you can find a thermal it will soar. As I said with changing the power train in the Nebula I have reduce a considerable amount of weight and find a thermal and it will stay up all day. The biggest problem is finding the thermal