Cox engines

Gary Eyre

I, too, have a collection of Cox engines.from 020 tee dee to the 09 tee dee

'The only problems have been in theplastic carbi venturis cracking on the tee dees - these parts are now no longer available in Australia - but I have found stocks on the internet at MECOA and Cox engines in the USA

I have used 049 Black widow and Texaco to power 2 metre gliders on power pods and am building 1/2 texaco Stardust Special for local competition

These little engines certainly have the power. I normally run with 20% nitro

Good to see that not everybody has gone electric

Regards, Gary Eyre, Quairading, Western Australia

Advert

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants any info on Cox engines there's a collection of instructions & test reports here. From the home page click "Cox Engines" for a list of info available the click "Documents" for the instructions, tests etc in pdf format.

Just now I had some fun with my Golden Bee - it was its first run with me. As I just wanted to check if it fires up, didn't fill the tank - just put few drops to the cylinder and using standard glow plug starter, flicked wooden prop... It took me about minute or so, with severall drops of nitro added, and then it started... Run took as long as about two seconds, but it scared the hell out of me... So loud, so fast, proper engine.

But again I do have some questions...

I have noticed, after first run, some sparks on the bottom of piston... Didn't see it at first attempt, or just dodn't spot them. Is it normal??

When turning the prop slowly, fuel comes out of cylinder as sort of foam. Does it mean that tightness isn't good enough?

How to fill the tank? Syringe and vent pipe?

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Major on 24/05/2012 16:48:57

Ah yes a "real" engine......bit more interesting than a leccy motor eh Tom...? smile p

Not for the park this one I fear!!!

Sparks on the bottom of the piston?? What can you mean??

Foamy exhaust ports....Yes perfectly normal...this is just the compressed gas leaking away......at higher speeds it tends not to happen. Too much leakage means a poor piston/liner seal & this spells a worn out engine.....proof of the pudding is in the..er running......if it runs OK then all is fine......if it starts to fade after a minute or so or is hard to start then its probably a bit worn out!!!

Any way you can get fuel into the tank is a good one......syringe is perfect..

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/05/2012 16:54:33

Hmmm, let me use my skill of speech in foreign language and try to describe how it looks like...wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Cylinder has a hole, and in this hole You can see the piston moving... And after I've put starter onto the glow plug and flicked prop, it make noise like kid's cap pistol and some single sparks appeared on the bottom side of piston/cylinder wall , I mean closer to the crankcase... Maybe it was just because I have overfilled it with fuel...??

Compression is really god for that small engine, but anyway wanted to ask about that foam. Thank You for patience and information!wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

No, I wouldn't be that brave/stupid to fly it in local park... Maybe in the morning, about 5-6am, but I think I'll join the club at last before flying any IC...

Cheers

I remember the Cox as a great engine and was sad to see it go away. However the Cox International is breathing new life into them and they are the same engine it was 50 + years ago. I was born and raised in Tuskegee, AL. and we (both of us) flew Cox powered free flite models at the by then abandoned Army Airfeild almost every week end. They brought tons of fun and low cost to a couple guys in that little Alabama town. Now if they would just make a nice muffler so I could once again fly my old Cox engines in this noise free area I live in. Note the Harley Davidison Motor Cycle, requires no muffler in the US! Thanks for the article!

Leo

Hi Luther, there were a number of Cox engines with mufflers. I had an 049 with an extended size tank & muffler fitted. IIRC mine was a QRC 049 but if you have a glance through the data base in the link I gave previously you'll find there were quite a few others with mufflers.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted by Jeff Broom on 13/09/2012 16:30:32:

Hi all, i have recently been collecting cox gloplug aircraft from the 60s/70s, they are all gummed up with fuel, whats the best to use to clean it up.

regards Jeff

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 13/09/2012 17:14:32

Hi Jef Meths is good mate try that before anything else (carb cleaner etc).

David