Thunder Tiger trainer engine?

Dean Jeffery

Hi

been doing lots of research on the TT trainer, I'm going to go with a ASP .61 4 stoke engine. Will this have enough power for the TT I think its 61" wing, I have red on threads in here or via google that there not as power full as say a .40 2 stroke. Hence asking if this will be fine, Evan though I'm a new to planes I don't want it under powered. I think the web says 40-46 2 stroke and .54 4 stroke.

If this engine is ok for this plane, what would be the right prop. I also read that the engines max revs are from 9000 to 12500 depending where this info is from. But that's a big difference in speed.

Iam buying a tach to set the engine up, so what do I set it to, going off the mixed reviews I have red. I no if you set to say 9000 static it will spin faster in leval flight. So what would I set my static revs at.

I need or want to no as much as pos before I buy, as I don't want to be left with a plane that don't fly or run as intended.

Cheers

Hi Dean

I've taught a few to fly on this model and would recommend a .40-.46 two-stroke (it's a trainer after all). I suppose it'll fly with a .60 f/s although that's larger than most would suggest and I wouldn't recommend it, the airframe won't appreciate the extra vibration either. Go for a good .46 and you'll have an engine that'll be flexible enough for your next model.

The TT Trainer is a good model by the way thumbs up

Edited By David Ashby on 11/04/2012 10:47:52

Edited By David Ashby on 11/04/2012 10:49:05

I'd agree with David. The TT is a great trainer - and its fine with a 2st 40-46. The TT GP42 is a particularly good match!

Four strokes are great - I love 'em. But they are heavier - so you may well give yourself balance/CoG problems - and require just a little more knowledge and skill to run. When learning to fly yo don't really need this extra hassle - why not keep it simple?

TT Trainer with a GP42 in it and a 4 cell Rx pack will balance right "straight out the box" and will fly great - in fact I've seen one in exactly that spec fly the B-test schedule faultlessly - albeit in very skillful hands!

BEB

Cheers guys

I just wanted to try 4 stroke this time, and for the better sound, as ive had 2 strokes in car's, trucks and helis.

But if you think a 2 will be better then i will get one of these, spending money on a trainer will not be a problem, if it's a right off the plane will only cos £80 and engine £120ish 4 stroke, so £200 a tad cheaper if 2 stroke at £140ish.

The heli cos about the same for an avg crash, one crash cost £205 the other was £150. Both was not my fault may i add lol.

Still lots of reseachings to do i think.

Can you list me the pro's and cons of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke for me in a TTT..

cheers

hello dean...unless you extremely lucky-your trainer will crash.....and as alan has said the 2st will be more robust(in a crash) compared with a 4st.......look upon your trainer as expendable.......and when you have hit the jackpot and learned to land take off etc...and then moved on to some thing more exotic....... consider the 4st then......

ken anderson...ne..1 2st/4st dept....

there are cheap 40-46 engines for far less than 150quid! you dont have to have the best to get good results, only downer for me for the 4 stroke, and expensive 2 strokes, is the cost of repairs, there are engines out there designed to be solid, reliable motors, and they dont cost an arm and a leg, but, i get the sense that you are not without wonga, so, if money is no object, go for it,

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 11/04/2012 18:26:32:

there are cheap 40-46 engines for far less than 150quid! you dont have to have the best to get good results, only downer for me for the 4 stroke, and expensive 2 strokes, is the cost of repairs, there are engines out there designed to be solid, reliable motors, and they dont cost an arm and a leg, but, i get the sense that you are not without wonga, so, if money is no object, go for it,

Sorry I ment to put a tad cheaper to fly again if I got the 2 stroke at £60, half the cost of the ASP 4 stroke.

BEB mentioned the TT GP42, I'd given my sons ald trainer to a friend, at the weekend we restarted the engine, a GP42 which had last run some 6 years ago. Started fairly easilly, ran really well (for the whole flight) with a nice low tickover. These really are good value engine for a trainer. I remember paying ,£40 for it from my LMS, but see they are over £60 now, some I must have bought it some time ago.

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 12/04/2012 19:06:37:

great engine, can be finicky on fuel, and needle, low resale value, the engine i can heartily suggest for you is the irvine 53, this will do you for quite a few aircraft

Just done a quick review on the Irvine 53, it's a lot better than the SC .61 engine. Think I'll give that eBay one a miss.

Cheers

no, a 40 would be better, but thats what the throttle stick is for, i also have learners retard the carb venturi opening a tad, so the engine does not run away with them, a 40 these days has limited use, the 53 can be used for the next 3 models, these being a wot4, then an acro wot, then a spitfire, suerly everyones dream line up? and all now ARTF models

Personaly id go for a 2 stroke 46 - 53 size, my first trainer was fitted with a TT 42 and was weak power wise, it struggled to take off on the rough grass when i was learning.

I swopped the TT42 for a Irvine46 and it was a perfect match.

The Irvine is still going strong 3 models later, now fitted in my Maricardo.

Peter

Get a 46. 40,s tend to be heavier than 46's because a 46 is a bored out 40 in many cases, which means less metal.

Personally, I would say don't go bigger. There is no reason to, it will drink more fuel, and it might, depending on the prop make it harder to slow down to land.

Get an Irvine or an SC, learn to fly an trainer, then put the engine in a wot4 etc and master that, then get something nice and a four-stroke to go with it!