New landing gear with suspension.. Now proven by a pothole.. !!

Cyclicscooby

My field has been invaded by 2 cows with calfs, so to save stressing them, or stepping in it, I decided to try landing on the rutted bumpy gravel drive.. (The 'proper' contrete drive is too close to the house to risk it)

Anyway, with hedges both sides, the turbulance was horrific, and I ended up thumping her down, and putting the CF landing gear, thru and into the plane.. sad

I decided to construct new gear, in steel, with suspension, and came up with this..

New Bipe suspension

Very crude, I won't deny that...

Consists of 5mm I/D plasic tube, with a ball joint glued in the top. A spring, 'fine tuning' dowel, and 5mm O/D CF..

Anyway... Went to try it out, on the gravel drive, and inadvertantly, landed in the biggest pothole in the whole drive... surprise

Much to my suprise, the bipe just rode it out... SWEET...

Here a 60sec vid...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Advert

Hi Chrisie

Nice idea. I did sometyhing very similar which works really well. I did it with a small model many years ago and recently did it with a much larger model using 170 mm long buggy shock absorbers.

It works a treat but a heavy landing will stop the prop. Never, ever bounces though.

They only cost £12 a pair on Ebay

At rest

Fully compressed

The Bipe Nigel, is a profile foamie plan I found on RCGroups, called a 'Breeze'. I just DIY'ed it into a full bodied affair.. Ended up like an Ultimate, with an SE5A Nose.. ?!

Nice Pete, my spare buggy shocks are either too soft, or too fat, but you'rs look just right (said baby bear..!! )

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 14/04/2012 11:26:14:

The Bipe Nigel, is a profile foamie plan I found on RCGroups, called a 'Breeze'. I just DIY'ed it into a full bodied affair.. Ended up like an Ultimate, with an SE5A Nose.. ?!

Nice Pete, my spare buggy shocks are either too soft, or too fat, but you'rs look just right (said baby bear..!! )

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Looks good. If the ailerons, etc took up more of the wings it could almost be an E-Flite Ultimate FX 3D, a nice model but now discontinued.