Born again

Dai Fledermaus

I suppose I could best be described as a born again aeromodeler. Back in the late 50`s and early 60`s I built a number of models from kits and plans. They were mainly control line and in those days you could turn up at the local park to fly them. How things have changed!

So now, having recently retired I want to try my hand at building an R/C trainer, but my problem is that I have to start from scratch again. Which model? Which engine? Which R/C kit? Decisions, decisions. Having bought a few issues of RCM&E, I’ve decided not to go down the ARTF route and to build a trainer from a kit or plan instead. Building a plane was always part of the pleasure for me.

I like the traditional or vintage look so I recently emailed Ben Buckle to ask a few questions about one of his kits. I didn’t get a reply. I then sent a similar email to DB Sport and Scale about their Tyro Major plan, who replied the following day. No prizes then for guessing which business I'll be supporting. Also like me they are based in Wales

But to begin at the begining, I'll need a a decent building board which isn't going to shred my fingers trying to get pins into it. Wicks sell an insulating board called Celotex . It's 1200mm by 450mm by 50mm and is covered in foil. It's nice and flat and looks as if it will do the job. Has anyone tried it?

Cols

Hi Colin,

welcome back to the best hobby in the world and welcome to the forumsmile

regarding building boards there are lots of threads on here about various types; plasterboard, cork lined, Sundeala etc. Try entering "building board" or "building boards" in the search engine at the top of the page and you'll get a large choice of threads!

BEB

by your post, i would guesstimate your age as in the late 60s, therefore, i would have no hesitation in recomending the tyro major, but as a rudder, elevator model, no ailerons, because, quite coldly, the older you get, the more help you need, a 3 channel model, with dihedral is exaclty what you want, plus, i learned to fly on one 35years ago!!! although i built it myself, i soon mastered it, and grew tired of it, being a young pup, and graduated to ailerons,

Once you have mastered the model, you may do the same power in mine was an OS25MAX, the old one, with the strap on silencer, nowadays, most folk will tell you to get a 46 size motor, dont, it does not need it, mine was covered in nylon, painted, and it flew easily on this basic motor, modern equivelant would be an OS40LA, its a nice easy build, and tough as old boots, have funface 1

welcome back. Celotex is quite expensive and it tends to dent if you drop anything on it / lean on it so your flat building board will quickly get a bit bumpy. That's the advantage of plasterboard, it doesn't dent. also you can draw lines on it, celotex has a grid pattern on the foil but it's not very accurate. Very nice insulating foam though

the only thing I'd say in relation to the choice of plane is- what's your field like? The people who fly vintage planes at my field don't fly very often! Too windy most of the time. If you're determined to fly a vintage plane it's worth making it one of two planes in the stable and for the other one get something which will handle the wind better for the rest of the time!

Tyro Major seems a good choice, and the rib set seems a good buy at 7.50 and plan at 10 pounds. Most instructors prefer ailerons so check with your preferred club. Ask them what mode they train on and what make of transmitter. Your instructor probably has a buddy lead and maybe uses either Futuaba or Spektrum. Much better than grabbing the Tx from you. Check which and buy the same make but basic 6 channel model and only buy 2.4 ghz now. (35 mhz is perfectly OK but secondhand is dodgy if you dont know the history and anyway some clubs are 2.4 ghz only now. Dont get caught by some dealer offloading 35mhz stuff! )

Welcome to the forum Colin.....aeromodelling never leaves you does it....its like malaria...teeth 2

I'm sure you will find that lots has changed while you've been away, so take a good look around the site & get a feel for the technology & then ask lots of questions.....thumbs up

How about a Super 60 as a first build/trainer model.....all those balsa strips should whet your building appetite......takes electric or IC (but I know you'll go for IC....wink 2)

There are a couple being built in here.....