The Quest, no not the Holy Grail, been done

Danny Fenton

Hi Martyn, I had a look on that site and there is, as you say, an amazing array of paints. I will have to order some and see whats what I like the Alclad stuff and will check if they do a leaden color. I know the exhausts are not made from lead but the color is a bit like that.

Hi Nev, I have graphite powder I will try a bit and see how it looks.

I may mount them on the plates and fit them to the fus to see how they look in situ as its hard to tell with them against a sheet of white paper like this.

Thanks for your thoughts, all good stuff.

Cheers

Danny

Advert

They look great to me!

As you say Danny exhausts are not all the same colour - and the same exhaust can even change colour! So surely there is no absolute datum here?

If that's true then the question turns around doesn't it? It's not "are they the right colour?"; it's, "are they a credible colour?" And for me I'd say yes - very much so.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/09/2013 12:15:03

Hi Cookson, Thanks it sounds similar to the Humbrol wash which I have already used. Its part of the Humbrol weathering powders, (smoke) range, and that is nice stuff, its a powder but if you mix with water its a wash.

I have used the Humbrol satin over the forward areas to give a slight sheen to the darker sections. When I get home tonight i will mount the stubs on the model and fit the cowl, lets see how it looks yes

Cheers

Danny

Thanks BEB and Martyn sorry missed your comments. As you say BEB I think they look credible now, perhaps not quite as R4118 is but credible all the same. I think R4118 gets a lot more cleaning and attention that a wartime Hurricane would not have seen. As such they look as i would expect a wartime Hurricane to look. If this was competition then I would have to work harder.....

Thanks Martyn I think I will just draw a line under them if they look credible on the model. I will post a pic later and see what you think?

Cheers

Danny

LOL thx Tony thumbs up The aluminium cowl edging strip hides some of the unsightly fixings.

dsc_6773 (large).jpg

Might take a rest from the exhausts now and go make the "DON'T THINK! Don't just glance! LOOK! Search....." mirror Quote just for you CS wink 2 Of course you know the film wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/09/2013 13:04:49

Hi Guys and thankyou for the kind words. CS I am sure you will get there.

Made most of the mirror this morning, just need to get it all finished and i will post some pics.

Still need to do the remainder of the stencilling, and the roundels on the underside. I might make some wheels if she survives the maiden..... I see a light at the end of the tunnel

Ton you can start humming Apache smile p

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 28/09/2013 23:26:23

Tonight marks the 5th anniversary of this Hurricane build, I really hope I don't take so long over future models!!

behind you 1.jpg

Anyway sorted the mirror out, sorry for the dusty pics, you don't notice it until you examine closeup pictures. The mirror lens is cut from a plastic wide angle mirror that came free from Hobby King. The rest of the frame is made from an assortment of the usual suspects....

behind you 2.jpg

So that ticks another item off the list. I think more stencilling is next, but alas I have to work away for a few days, so the momentum grinds to a halt.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Guys and thanks, I am not sure it is 5 years well spent. I took a year out to do the Spitfire, so only four years of my time.

The frame is made from Chemiwood, and it was literally a picture frame. I then cut the mirror to fit whilst it was protected with masking tape. Made a rear for the picture frame from chemiwood and glued it all together. Then sanded to shape. The forward section is from folded lith plate, of two thickness, one for rigidity and the other for aesthetics. The inner weird semi pyramid shape is wood as per the full size. The whole lot is dusted over with satin black.

The aerodynamics are not very clever, and i cannt help but think Sydney Camm cringed at the mirror......

Cheers

Danny

Looks great, along with everything else on the plane. It's been two years since that Spitfire being done, get this one in the air! Make sure you check the transmitter before thoughwink 2

When is the first flight scheduled if it is yet? You get some excellent flying days in these autumn months, particularly in the early evening. I want to see that Mustang continuing too, no pressure...

CS

But Spring is so far away! That's about the time my Spitfire will be taking to the runway probably. I agree that it is right to not rush it, especially after 4 years of first class work so you may as well do it right. But it would be nice to see a Hurricane outline against an Autumn evening sun...

Is it all wired up yet, i.e. all 6 channels (ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder, retracts and throttle)? Keep going with her, this is a top class scale model of a fantastic and captivating aeroplane.

CS

Hi CS yes its all wired up as you say, Benedini all working too. Still need to sort out the telemetry. Noticed that I hadn't sprayed the Carburetor intake underneath, so while it was still in primer I made a mould so that I could easily make spares. The carb intake is quite vulnerable to hangar rash crook

dsc_6785 (medium).jpg

The white one on the left is the hollow rotomoulded item. Still needs the front opening up, this shot was taken as soon as it was out of the mould.

Cheers

Danny