Throttlestore, not good service

At the beginning of the year I ordered a "Giant Cessna" from them. The website said they had stock, and soon after I ordered, I received an email to say it had been dispatched, and I would receive another email with the tracking details.

A week later, I had heard nothing, so e-mailed them. After the second email, I received a reply that it would be packed and dispatched in a few days time.

It eventually arrived nearly two weeks after I expected it to.

Because of the delay, I had to wait until Easter to finish putting it together,managed to do the odd bit before then, but with other things, not time to complete it.

I completed it over the Easter holidays, and it looked quite good.

After a couple of days, the stickers were lifting in places, a few more days and they were all listing badly.

I sent, through their website form, a query asking for comments and help.

No reply

Then I sent another message through their web form, but used the complaints title from the drop down list.

I received a reply, saying that if they had not replied it was because they had not received my message, and stating that they did not think I had faulty stickers, as they were the same as all the other stickers, and suggested the problem was because the sticky side of the stickers was exposed to air, or that they had been stuck and removed several times whilst applying.

I sent a reply pointing out that my original message was sent through their web form, and that the stickers were removed from the backing sheet at the time they were applied, and that I had not removed and replaced them several times, that I had several Multiplex models and the wot4foame none of which had any problem, even after two years.

They have not replied, so it seems to me they are totally disinterested in helping at all, they have the money, and the interest has stopped.

Pity, because they are reasonable on some items, and I had intended to buy from them again in future.

Their service is in fact worse than sellers from the east, I won't be buying from them in future, or recommending them to others.

Advert

i take it you degreased and cleaned the surfaces before you tried sticking the transfers down? if you still have the sticker sheet, clean an area off, with soap and water, wipe it, apply some soap and water to the area, stick on the scrap sticky bit, and see of it stays on, just looked at their web site, some nice stuff, but what a chore waiting for the pages to turn

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 01/05/2012 18:18:46:

i take it you degreased and cleaned the surfaces before you tried sticking the transfers down? if you still have the sticker sheet, clean an area off, with soap and water, wipe it, apply some soap and water to the area, stick on the scrap sticky bit, and see of it stays on, just looked at their web site, some nice stuff, but what a chore waiting for the pages to turn

Yes, except one where I forgot to clean it, but it made no difference. I did exactly the same as I did on the other models, the Mentor has had its stickers on for more than two years now, and they are as good as the day I put them on. Even the wot4faome is fine, although some others have commented theirs are lifting after a year or so.

I had/having trouble with the stickers peeling off my ST Models MX2. Did use degreaser, but all the stickers are comming off, or either whisting (lifting) in the air.

Is there a glue one can put to the back and re-stick them. That's all it needs for both our problems...

Steve

I think the foam surface has traces of release agent ,I wiped mine over with a degreasing fluid before applying the supplied decor set.

The model has been in the hanger for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to change ,and no peeling wrinkles or bubbles is evident ,so keeping my fingers crossed ,as dodgey decor would completely spoil the model.sad.Hope you manage to sort something out as the 182 has the potential to make a nice plane, will let you know how I get on with mine.

I think the clue to how the shop operates is in the invoice !

Tom.

seems like a crap sticker set then, but they wont build the models, they will buy them in, proabaly from eastern sources, i dare say its not worth their time to help you out, this is why YT went to transfers UNDER the final finish, LOT better, but a dearer process,

Posted by Paul Marsh on 01/05/2012 18:27:33:

I had/having trouble with the stickers peeling off my ST Models MX2. Did use degreaser, but all the stickers are comming off, or either whisting (lifting) in the air.

Is there a glue one can put to the back and re-stick them. That's all it needs for both our problems...

I should think Por would do it, but I will probably cut more out of ordinary vinyl, will use the originals as patterns

Steve

If you made your payment with a credit card you may be covered by their insurance against a faulty item (even for partial refunds / compensation), contact your bank/card provider.

The stickers on my ST Models MX2 are lifting also, double sided sticky tape sorted them out, however the model is going to be spray painted in the coming days.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 02/05/2012 12:32:28

I suspect you'ld struggle to persuade a CC company to accept a loss on the basis of stickers not being overly sticky. It's a bit subjective. I'd just use some UHU por and leave it at that. Or maybe even some WBV, very much doubt that would annoy the stickers / foam.

Posted by Ben B on 02/05/2012 14:12:56:

I suspect you'ld struggle to persuade a CC company to accept a loss on the basis of stickers not being overly sticky. It's a bit subjective. I'd just use some UHU por and leave it at that. Or maybe even some WBV, very much doubt that would annoy the stickers / foam.

I agree stickyness is subjective, but stickers peelin off is not

Posted by Tom Wright 2 on 01/05/2012 18:29:49:

Steve

I think the foam surface has traces of release agent ,I wiped mine over with a degreasing fluid before applying the supplied decor set.

The model has been in the hanger for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to change ,and no peeling wrinkles or bubbles is evident ,so keeping my fingers crossed ,as dodgey decor would completely spoil the model.sad.Hope you manage to sort something out as the 182 has the potential to make a nice plane, will let you know how I get on with mine.

I think the clue to how the shop operates is in the invoice !

Tom.

Glad yours seems to be OK.

If I can't restick them neatly, I have ordinary vinyl, so I can nearly make anexact copy.

As for the other suggestions, I could probably go throught the card company, and obviously stickers that come off are not doing their job, but is all the time wasted worth it? I have been careful to communicate with them, and I think the important point is to point out there may be a problem, and to show how they deal with a problem, so that people are aware, maybe they will accept it, maybe they might be put off by it, but at least some will be forewarned.