Telemasters

David Davis

In 2008 I set up Telemaster Sales UK, a hobby-business in order to sell Telemaster kits to European modellers. The Telemaster is an iconic kit which was designed by Karl-Heinz Dezin in the 1960s. It's a basic trainer which flies with great presence and it is available in five sizes ranging from 3 ft to 12 ft (0.9 mtrs to 3.6 mtrs) in the wingspan. I am holding the 8ft (2.4 metre) version in my avatar. The production rights were bought up by Hobby-Lobby in the 1970s and they continue to sell Telemasters to this day. More Americans have probably learned to fly on a Telemaster than on any other model.

In 2010 Hobby-Lobby were having problems with their kit cutter and in 2011 they appointed a new kit cutter who completely changed the construction technique of the kit to a laser-cut tab-built process which resulted in the retail cost in America rising from $87 to $199 for the 6ft (1.8 metre) Telemaster 40. Simultaneously Hobby-Lobby have decided to deal with all enquiries regarding Telemaster kits centrally from their premises in Brentwood Tennessee and they are no longer making any kits available to retailers or other agents. They have also asked me to remove the name "Telemaster" from my business title.

Having sold over 40 Telemaster kits of all types to modellers from Italy to Ireland during the period May 2008 to December 2010, I regret that Hobby -Lobby is no longer willing to provide me with Telemaster kits and as a result have had to close the business.

I don't even owe them any money! smiley.

I plan to display the full range of Telemasters at Greenacres including a 12ft Giant Telemaster .

The 8ft Senior Telemaster plan is available from RCM Plans Service for $23 plus postage. Please pm me for information about plans in other sizes.

• 2 months later...
Advert

Hi Chris,

I no longer have any kits at all and as I've said in my post above, Hobby-Lobby are no longer willing to send me any more kits and want to deal with all enquiries about Telemasters directly. They have also changed the method of construction and have greatly increased the price of their kits to a point at which it is no longer viable to import them. I don't believe they are producing the 12 foot span model at the moment.

The best that I can offer is to copy the plans for you. Hope this helps.

David

Hi I am new to this site and this is my first post . I would like build a Telemaster. Could you please copy the plans . I found some pistures on the web but they are not sharp enough. I know about Telemaster for years but just didnt have enough time. I know how it flies. Thank you very much for help.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I must admit that I was very surprised by Hobby Lobby's attitude. They might have sold more kits if they'd said, "We understand that you've sold over 40 kits throughout Europe and South Africa, how can we help you to develope your business?"

But some Americans are very insular. I understand that they sell more modelling products in Florida alone than they do in the entire of the UK, so us Europeans are not very important to them. I had a waiting list mind, but had to tell them all that the kits were no longer available.

I'm in France until 28th June unless the money runs out first and have forgotten when Greenacres is being held this year. I'm also Best Man at my mate's wedding in July but if I can make it to Greenacres I will.

Happy Landings Gentlemen.

• 10 months later...

What with selling the house, retiring to France and eBaying all of my surplus possessions, I've also decided to shut down my website: www.telemastersalesuk.co.uk with effect from 30th April.

Should anyone want any information about Telemasters, a classic four-channel trainer, please pm me through this site.

Sorry to revive such an old thread.

Happy Landings

David Davis

hi david

well i am sure your could get a scan of a plan and redraw it and add your own mods and then get it laser or cnc cut, then it would be your own aircraft and you could sell it and have control over it.

Hope the move goes well, what part of france?

will

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was just day-dreaming about Telemasters as you do when I rediscovered this old thread. Since the last post on 20/04/2014 I have acquired a Telemaster 66 kit so I could copy the plan for anyone who's interested.

However, I am currently in the north of La Creuse, in the middle of France, trying to negotiate the tenancy of a house. However, I plan to be back in Blighty in August and at Christmas so could be in a position to do something then.

Best of luck to everyone at Greenacres. I didn't notice much activity on the mass build this time so I assume that the mass build has had its day. Having said that, with the move to France etc taking up so much of my time, I haven't visited this site much. Temperatures here are set to rise to 27 degrees later today and to reach the mid 30's by Thursday.

• 5 months later...

Hi all

I've found this thread surfing in the forum, and I though that this link could be interesting: it's a full plan on pdf of the original Senior Telemaster (8' plus the article in RCM.

I'm planning to build one of those as a trainer for my 7 years (ok, I know we've used the excuse of "It's for the kid" several times with the wives, but it still works...), but I'll make some amendments (split wings and maybe reinforces to accommodate a large petrol powerplant). I'll post when I decide to kick it off, not before closing some other thousand projects though...

Cheers!

Hi David,

I would love to have a copy of the Telemaster 66 plan if possible? This was the 1st plane I owned and learnt to fly on in early 90s it was woefully underpowered on its ancient Merco 29 I had in it and the radio I had was older than me, servos just didn't give much movement. It still flew well considering the above until I wrapped it round a rugby goal post at Hanworth Airpark. Middlesex all them years ago. Anyway would love a plan of the 66 to build again one day if only for nostalgia, Please pm me re costs etc

Cheers

Steve smiley

Bonjour tout le monde! C'est moi encore!

Percy is quite right, I don't normally stock the 66" plan and besides, the fuselage on this model is made from light ply which you slot together, so there's fuselage plan as such.

The 72" version is a better flyer as Percy says but I've always had a soft spot for the 66" job having passed my A on one powered by a Merco 35! I've recently bought a kit on eBay but have not had the time to build it.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by David Davis on 28/06/2015 08:28:40:

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was just day-dreaming about Telemasters as you do when I rediscovered this old thread. Since the last post on 20/04/2014 I have acquired a Telemaster 66 kit so I could copy the plan for anyone who's interested.

You dont think you could send me a copy of the plans? Me and my dad are restoring his old Telemaster 66, but we dont have any plans for the machine. Not that it matters for the restoration, but it's power source is a OS.MaxFP nitro-methane engine.

Thanks in advance! Have a good day gentlemen.

PS. Do you have them scanned on your computer, or do you send paper copies?