OS alpha engines

Solly

Advert

Its an interesting point Solly......the Alpha engines have internal passageways to allow the crankcase to breathe & get rid of excess oil but that means you can't add a reassuring squirt of after run. I think that as long as you make sure you run the engine out of fuel on the ground so its good & hot (& dry) when it stops you will be fine......thumbs up

I don't see that you have the option to do much else.......thinking

It does raise the question about the best way to use after-run oil if you're in the habit of using it. Short of fitting a nipple in the backplate with a stoppable remote pipe (which I assume would invalidate the warranty) or removing the rocker box each time, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do so.

Having written this, I checked the OS manual on their website and it has the following advice:

Do not leave unused fuel in the engine at the
conclusion of a day’s flying. Accepted
practice is to cut off the fuel supply while the
engine is still running at full throttle, then
expel as much fuel residue as possible by
turning the engine over 5-10 seconds with
the electric starter.
Finally, inject some after-run oil through the
glowplug hole and turn the engine over
several times by hand.

I'm not sure that I would be comfortable with removing the plug after every flying session - especially in a cowled application and even then, the benefits of doing so on a 4 stroke seem dubious

When the engine is not to be used for some
months (for example, as between flying
seasons), a worthwhile precaution is to
remove it from the airframe and, after
washing off the exterior with alcohol (not
gasoline nor kerosene), remove carefully the
carburetor with intake pipe, glow plug and all
silicone tubing and put them safely aside.
Then, immerse the engine in a container of
alcohol. Rotate the crankshaft while the
engine is immersed. If foreign matter is
visible in the alcohol, rinse the engine again
in clean alcohol. Finally, shake off and dry
the alcohol ,and inject some after-run oil in
the glowplug hole and rotate the crankshaft
several times by hand. Reinstall the
carburetor with intake pipe and glowplug on
the engine and keep it in a dry place after
putting in a vinyl bag.

Again, I'm dubious of any real benefit here unless the backplate was removed at the same time but there's no mention of doing so...

Interesting advise from OS but like Martin I too am a bit dubious......constant removal & replacement of the glow plug is a sure fire way to wear the thread out & unless you leave the engine with the cylinder upright I don't see how much oil will find its way into the crank case to lube the crank/camshaft bearings.......

The advise to immerse the engine in alcohol seems even more perverse to me as this will probably rinse any oil out of the crank bearings with no obvious way of putting anything back in there to protect the bearings from corrosion.....crook

If I was to clean out my engines in this way I'd definitely remove the backplate & squirt a goodly amount of oil in the crankcase before storage.....

Huh! OS eh....what do they know about model engines?? teeth 2

Thanks for the replies. I realise that the crankcase oil is expelled through the exhaust, but surely this will leave the bottom end in exactly the same condition as the old method, ie. a fitted beather nipple. Having experienced bad corrosion in a Saito caused by not flushing out I'm a bit dubious---.

Just going off on a bit of a tangent,so to speak, I bought a brand new OS55AX about 10 months ago,and it's been in its box and protective wrapping ever since. It has only been taken out to drool over but not run.

Presumably, it would have been test run at the OS factory prior to despatch.

So,my question is, should I periodically squirt in some after run or should it be OK until I fix it up with my Jitter Bug in about 3 months time.

This problem with internal corrosion worries me quite a lot. I mean, you could over winter a model thinking that you've oiled it sufficiently only to go and start up for the first time in the new season and find out you've got some seriously damaged bearings with a variety of consequences.

John.

Well OS do know a thing or two about model engines so lets hope they have done their homework....

All 4 strokes (except YS motors!!) lubricate their crankshaft/camshaft bearings & conrod in exactly the same way....with oil from the fuel blown past the piston ring. It is quite surprising how much oil does actually get past the piston. In earlier engines the crankcase was vented to the atmosphere & any excess oil went over the side. More modern engines have an external pipe linking the crancase to the inlet manifold to recycle the excess oil. With the Alpha series there are internal passage ways to allow the engine to "suck" excess oil from the crankcase, via the pushrods & head back into the engine via the inlet valve where it is "burnt" & chucked out of the exhaust

To me the problem here is that if oil can get past the piston so can methanol & any by-products of combustion (which can include some nasty acids) can also get down there. Adding extra oil to the crancase after running will help protect the bearings etc from this mixture.

But as I said in my first post I don't see what options you have.....there is no way of introducing oil into the crankcase directly. To my mind all you can do is a) live with it or b) add an extra breather nipple to the backplate & use that to add the oil (this should be sealed during running by the way)

There is a third option of course....you could buy an SC/ASP instead...these have external breathers.... Send the OS engine to me & I will take on the burden of worrying about oiling the crankcase......I realise this is a very noble gesture on my part but it is one that I am willing to make to help a fellow modeller....teeth 2

Johnny...if its brand new I'm sure OS will have taken steps to ensure the engine reaches you in perfect condition....I would suggest that no further action is needed.

Two strokes are usually "better" in this respect.....as the fuel goes to the cylinder via the crankcase then the crankcase itself is fully purged during each cycle. After the last flight of the day, run the motor until its good & hot & runs out of fuel then add a squirt of after run into the carb & give it a quick spin on the starter & it will be fine until next time....

We should remember that the chemists who make oils for engines (model & full size) are aware of these sorts of issues & make oils that cling to & coat the components they meet thus depositing a film of oil over the inside of the engine......remember the Castrol Magnatec adverts where the oil clings to your engine like a magnet? Undoubtedly some marketing guff in there but the general principle is sound.....thumbs up

Thanks Steve,

I guess what I might have been getting at was - is there a shelf life of an engine before it needs re oiling etc?If you buy a new engine or indeed for that matter, say a new receiver battery, you have no idea just how long it's been "on the shelf" before you receive it and put it in your model.

John.

For a battery most definitely.....NiMH cells sitting on a shelf for ages is not good. Personally I always put the date of purchase on my batteries so I know how old they are....obviously this doesn't tell me how long they were in storage....thinking

Engines will last pretty much as long as you like on a shelf provided its not damp & they are oiled......excess oil will never hurt an engine in storage though so if your paranoia becomes unbearable you could always fill the engine crankcase with oil & then seal the whole engine in a plastic bag......if you do this then you must ensure that you get as much oil out of the engine as possible before trying to start it......otherwise a hydraulic lock & engine damage could well result. Oil is not known for its compressability after all....dont know

A friend of mine used to work in an engine repair shop & had just rebuilt a truck engine. He asked his apprentice to "fill it with oil" & left him to it. Noticing that the apprentice walked back & to across the shop floor carrying oil cans quite a few times he wondered what was up but thought nothing of it until they tried to start the engine....it was locked solid.....the apprentice had indeed filled it with oil....right up to the bottom of the oil filler neck.....they had to drain 13 gallons of oil from the engine to get the level back to where it should be......teeth 2

The OS Alpha range of engines have been about for a few years now (2006) so they must work safely or they would have been discontinued.

The good news for anyone with concerns is, I have a new OS FS V 95 and its got a breather nipple just under the valve gear drive housing.

Make of that what you may.