Good Start Plane - But Also For Intermediate

TehMaxwell

Hi Teh,

No need to answer your question re "C" ratings of LiPo's as CJ has done so perfectly in the post above.

Right as for the charger, I got mine HERE.

However, be aware this was designed to support the old style 35Mhz transmitters which took 8 batteries (9.6v) whereas the new 2.4Ghz transmitters these days (like Spektrum, HiTec, futaba et al) all take 4 battery cells (4.8v) so whatever you do dont try plugging in the TX charge lead into the transmitter!! Instead use the RX lead with the supplied adaptor. Also be aware that this charger only outputs 100mA so if you go for THESE crazy 3000mA cells I bought then it will take 30 hours to charge.

Two possible alternatives would be to buy one of THESE and charge it with your normal LiPo charger (most LiPo charges are capable of charging NiMh cells as well - make sure you buy one that does).

Or buy a different charger like THIS ONE, which has a much higher output, in this case 750mA. This would charge the 3000mA batteries in only 4 hours! And 2200mA cells in around 3 hours. But again, use the RX output not the TX output due to the voltage again.

Thanks for all the help guys, it is much apprieciated.

I will probably go with that battery if "C" doesn't matter, as it is cheaper.

A few Quick Fire Quetions:

How long would the Wot 4 Foam E MK2/Max Thrust Riot fly for on this battery **LINK** as I don't understand the equation for calculating it at all. I could do it if I got the information to put into it, but I don't know what it's asking for...

Thanks a bunch all,

teh

Teh,

The equation is simple enough, working out average current consumption is not, as it relies on so many variables. Everyones flying style is different, even wind can determine how much power you use and I think most on here would agree with me when I say throttle management is something you learn with time. So you might start out with a battery giving you 7-9 minute flight times then six months later thesame battery will give you 10-12 minutes because your using the throttle more intelligently and therefore using les power.

However in a nutshell, it goes something like this.

Lets say you have a 2500mAh battery - this means it can provide 2500 milli Amps for one Hour.

Or since there are 1000 milli Amps (mA) in 1 Amp (A) - just like there are 1000ml in a litre.

So you'll get 2.5A for one hour. therefore it follows you'll get 5A for half an hour, 10A for a quarter of an idea and 20A for 7.5 minutes. I'm sure your getting the idea now.

Edited By Redstorm on 15/06/2012 22:46:08

Thanks Redstorm,

Also thanks for all the help with Tx/Rx, it has been brilliant for me to see what's on offer. I have nearly got all of my purchases ready, I am slowly whitteling it down. As much as it's taken a very long time to get to this point, I will know that I will have the thing I most wanted and is the best for me when I get it.

Thanks all,

Teh

Any 2200 3s lipo batteries will suit your needs teh, theyre basicly the same just different manufacturers, like milk from tesco, and milk from asda, same thing different packaging, the biggest difference is the connectors they will come with attached to connect to your esc, but your best off if theyre different, re soldering them and standardising your (eventually) whole collection to one or two types of connector, they are good batteries but theres not much difference across the board really

Thanks for all the help guys,

Now I have a ton easier job choosing a battery, Phew! In response to your second post John there is plenty of space inside the compartment. A 2200 takes up about one fifth of the space. Then the rest is for ESC and reciever. People say it's good cause it helps you move the CG.

On another note, does the plane look good to you? Do you think it would be a good trainer? Reviews say it is, plus I don't want a three channel because I flew a 3 channel club trainer fairly easily. It looks like the perfect plane for me, as it can do aerobatics as well when I get better. Also the balsa and ply construction is a awesome, and spare parts are available. I don't know what more I would want? The real thing that swings it for me to this plane is the fact that of a 2200 you can get up to 20 mins. Thats what our club trainer does and it felt plenty long enough!

Your opinion on the plane would be great, im checking it out with experienced flyers just to make sure. Reviews say it's brilliant though.

Thanks for all the help,

Teh

• 2 weeks later...

You know you also dont have to pay full retail for your things. I'm on a budget, so when i started looking for my trainer, I went to eBay. I was patient, and ended up getting a Midwest aerostar 40 for $57 shipped. Bought my dx7 used as well as my ar7000. To put that plane in the air with quality equipment, it took approx. $400 that included plane, electronics, flight box and fuel. There are so many resources out there other than retail stores. And the way I look at it, I have the rest of my life to enjoy this hobby, if it takes a year to get started by doing it this way, so be it. It's either this way, or rush out to the lhs and take a small mortgage out only to decide you dont like it and be stuck with a ton of stuff your going to loose your pants on trying to resell it. Wait, thats where i come in! On second thought.......lol