Good Start Plane - But Also For Intermediate

TehMaxwell

I am looking for a plane that will start me off as a newbie flyer, but when i get a bit more competant can also do some 3d. Preferably I would like petrol? does anyone have any suggestions?

My circumstances are:

Flying Area: Large Racecourse

Teacher: Myself

Money: Around £220 (But I would need everything for that, plane, transmitter, engine, fuel, etc

Preferd Look: War Plane (But I don't mind modern looking ones)

Thanks!

PS: Could anyone give me some direction as to what artf involves? Does it come with an engine, transmitter etc?

start with electric first ptrol you would be lucky to get a engine £200 thats worth having

artf just most of plane built normaly you glue tail plane on but you only get plane no engine no rx no tx no battery

should start with a high wing then go to low or mid wing then war birds 3rd or even sixth down the line

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ill save you some cash to make up for it

real life spitfire pilots didnt learn to fly in a spitfire and neither should you, warbirds are no good for a first plane nor does any warbird perform 3D that i know of,

you need a good first high wing trainer to learn the basics of flight, 3D flying is a skill and like any skill takes lots of practice to achive, if you wanted to learn to drive, you wouldnt just go to the shop and buy a ferrari, you kill yourself on the first bend, you start with something slow and stable, easy to learn the basics, and work your way up

something like this, and a cheap radio set to get you going

Edited By Codename-John on 25/05/2012 21:14:09

YOU NEED, a 4 channel trainer, seeing as you want petrol eventually, i suggest a ripmax tutor 40, and an irvine 53 motor,, master that, put it anywhere you choose, then you are ready for the next stage, that, on your own, will take many airframes, and a not inconsiderable amount of money, your £200 will soon dissapear, if you want to waste money, go for it, you will soon tire, and dfift away, not many who try to go it alone succed, if you think this flying thing is easy, prepare for a shock

thanks guys the help is awesome. And i got it really quickly!

Thanks for the suggestion john, but does anyone have any other ideas for me? For electric. I started off looking for electric but I saw that flying times were very low. Could someone point me in the right direction to whether this is right or not? And if not, what is a good flying time?

Your ideas would be great. I would be looking for a good alround plane, with a reasonable flying time, engine and looks? Your feedback has really pointed me in the right direction so thanks a lot.

Also could someone point me in the direction of a reasonable transmitter?

Thanks Very Much! !

PS: Could someone tell me what tx and rx are? It's the only abreviation I don't know, i think?

Teh

I would guess the the battery in an EP will stay charged for much longer than you can keep the model in the air.Sorry I am not setting out to be orrible just realistic .If you have never flown a model before you are going to need a lot of help particularly if you intend to go it alone.

Before considering what you might purchase please get insurance ,the cover most have is available from the BFMA just Google and print the application form .

For a going alone first timer I would not recommend a 40 powered trainer or anything similar unless you change your mind and join a club, Don't be put off by negative comments you will find all the help you need on this forum .

May be something like a Hobby Zone Cub to start with will give you a fighting chance of getting some air experience with minimal damage and repair bills.

If you put some back ground information in your personal profile or in this thread it will help others to respond in an appropriate manner ,after all you could be an airline pilot smile.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 25/05/2012 22:18:19

If there ar no local clubs, then how about a wanted post on here or bmfa site asking for local clubs to make contact? If that fails then spending some of your budget with one of the quality model flying schools such as Paul Heckles School of Flying would give you and intro without any need to purchase any goods before hand. Tx is the abreviation for the Transmitter and Rx reciever, never be scared of asking a question.

Also just a quick question, I was adamant on the idea of an rc plane. But now im not so sure. Im stuch between plane and helicopter. The planes sound as though they are quite a serious hobby, and i do like helicopters and planes. Can someone point me in the direction as to which is probably easier to get started with, but still fun and rewarding?

As I like the technicality of the planes, all the roles and turns. I think helicopters can't do this? But Is a helicopter still just as fun? I have seen helicopters that look very nice, but is it now as rewarding once you get into it?

Thanks for all the great advice!

TehMaxwell

As a relative newcomer to the hobby myself, and someone who is largely self taught, I'd like to add my two penny worth.

Firstly, I would strongly second the advice of many above who suggest joini g a club and getting some proper instruction. Buddy bixing will be an invaluable aid in te early days as well as a huge confidence builder. Another advantage is that most clubs will have a trainer that you could fly once you have some radio gear. This will allow you timme to build your skills and get a feel for what pkane to buy as well as getting advice from club members before committing to a purchase.

So that leads us nicely on to radio gear. I recommend not skimping here as your choice will likely be with you for a while. 2.4Ghz is deffo the way forward. Futaba, spektrum and Hitec all make good gear but its mostly personal preference. Spektrum probably has the largest market share and has the advantage of being compatible with all the 'bind and fly' planes on the market from companies like Parkzone for example.

So as for what plane to get. As many have already stated, you will want a high wing trainer. The suoer cub is an absolute classic and is very stable, having plenty of dihedral and good self-righting ability. It is only three channel but will have you flying in no time at all. Especially if you really must go it alone.

Other great planes to consider would be the ST Discovery mentioned above and the eflite apprentice 15e. I bought a Multipkex Mentor myself and am overjoyed with it. very stable, incredibly strong (survived two crashes into trees so far). Multiplex are known for the quality of their kits so you cant go wrong with them IMHO. You dont have to go with their recommended power set either if youre on a budget. cheaper motors and ESC's can be had for a lot less than MPX's recommended set. The Mentor also has the advantage of long flight times with 20-25 minutes being achievable with a 4500mAh pack.

If you really want something that will allow you to venture in to the world of 3d flying and aerobatics, then the WOT4 foam e is deffo worth considering. on low rates with some expo you can learn the basics then flick onto high rates for something far more agile that you can chuck about all day long.

Hope this has been of some help. good luck.

WHOA, SLOW DOWN THERE, smile oyou want planes, fancy helicopters, you seem to want to fly aerobatics, your months off these, most on here can fly fixed wing,   i can fly most things with wings on, of any size, and do modest aerobatics, but, i havnt a clue on a helicopter,dont know

Now then, comes the interesting bit, with helis, i would suggest a beginner who fancies these, simply goes straight into them, planes are a distraction, and apart from the oily bits, bear no relavance to fixed wing, yes, they do roll, loop, and can generally turn themselves inside out, but unless you are gifted, you are EONS and a LOT of money off these manouveres,crook

As for where you are, its gifted with lots of clubs in the area, with some great fields, i suggest you use the club link above, contact a club, and go along and ask questions, take advice, and then AND ONLY THEN, make your choice of model or equipment.    To spend wrong now is to lose what little money you have, and to lose interest, there is also the problem that if you go it alone, you will do so without INSURANCE, dont underestimate the damage one of these flying things can do, insurance is cheap, its not a legality, but is sensible,

just a thought, in Leeds, there are Crossgates models, they are easily the best shop in the area, and will advise you soundly, they will also point you at a club near you, ITS IMPERATIVE you go to a proper model shop, and not somewhere like a shop that sells lots of diecasts, plastic kits, and ready made foam models, that inhabit every shopping centre,   have staff that know nothing, and will sell you whatever you fancy, even though its wrong for you---you have been warned!!!  and dont buy off the internet,   chances are, if it needs a part, that part will never apear,     be carefull

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 26/05/2012 08:25:53

Ok max i have a friend who was just like yourself.

he went out and bought a nitro trainer.

attempted to fly it, he took off ok and had some sort of control.

but when things go wrong with an r/c model they are like a homeing beacon they usually hit the pilot if not an onlooker.

his plane flew straight at him he put his hands up to defend himself and had one hand ripped open by the prop.

he had to rush himself to hospital with his right hand out of the window of his white car.

which by the time he arrived at hospital was red down one side almost and after many stitch's and luckily no loss of fingers he realised he had gone about it all the wrong way.

not to mention it put him off for life.

even an experianced pilot the other year almost lost his life when he reached over the running propellor to take off the glow stick to his engine the prop slashed his wrist.

when he arrived at hospital the docs said another 30 seconds and he would have bled to death.

these things realy are not toys.

and the danger is immense if you don't understand them or take the time too.

go join a club get the info on these models get insurance and get setup properly.

if you get the right info you will end up getting value for your money and end up enjoying a very nice hobby .....do it wrong and there is no telling what can happen.

Gary.

Edited By gary132 on 26/05/2012 08:35:51

Thanks Everyone for the help! I am very grateful for it.

Thanks to your diresction I have decided to contact the Tadcaster Model Flyers Club. I will ask for tution as it displays on their site. (Thanks for the link Lee ) If I can i will learn how to fly on the club trainer. Then and only then. As most of you have suggested. I will buy a plane.

Thanks So much for all the help!

Teh

PS: I won't close the thread cause i will have more questions, I know it!

Max take a look at the wot4 or the riot

they are noth good trainer planes electric and come with everything except battery and

transmitter and reciever.

they are reasonably priced.

you can get 10 minute flights on one battery.

most people buy a charger and 2/3 batterys.

while flying one battery the other is on charge.

rotating them through the day gives you many many flights and the chargers normally run from 12v off your car.

look into both of them they are a good starting point and being foamy they are very very easy to repair. most people have foam safe cyano on site in there box or 5 minute epoxy.

break it glue it fly it....they are good trainers and much fun.

and both models are capable of aerobatics once you have learned the basics.

wow thanks gary! thats a great tip. I'll check them out.

I will probably considering buying one after having a few lessons.

I have the Knavesmire and everyting near me so it's a great place to fly. This hobby is turning out to be exciting! Thanks very much for all the advice I wouldn't be contacting a club without it. First time I searched the BMFA website, I didn't find any clubs near me. But thanks to your guys help I have! Without the information I may have ended up giving up. Or crashing in despair. Id rather hear what could happen, than see it.

Seriously a lot of thanks, I will be able to get into this hobby now! and find the right plane and gear. And the right club!

Thanks A LOT

Teh

Just another thing aswell. You said the Wot4 and the Riot. Could you give me links to specific models. Also it would be helpful if someone could show me a good battery and charger for them. There are so many batteries out there, and chargers, I wouldn't know which one is best as I have no experience of them.

Thanks so much

Teh