Good Start Plane - But Also For Intermediate

TehMaxwell

Posted by TehMaxwell on 27/05/2012 14:54:30:

thanks for the suggestion tom, my only query is it has no aeilerons. I was looking for something that could step it up and do 3d once I learned the basics. Thats why im leaning towards the riot. Because it has that as one of it's features.

As a side note, I have found that it's much better to have your own reciever. I've found a few, like **LINK** Is this one any good?

Sets like those are only really any use for 1 model teh, ok for your first plane to get into the hobby but when you aquire more models theyre no good, each model requires slight trim changes to keep it flying straight and level, you do this by adjusting the little sliders at the sides of the main control sticks and different planes may need to reverse the direction of travel on servo`s etc, obviously as each plane requires its own settings you`d constantly have to trim them out each time you changed model.

Saturn isnt really a well used make, youd have trouble finding someone to buddy with you, thats why we reccommend you visit your club first, see which transmitters your instructers use and you`l be able to train much easier, you both have your own transmitter linked with a cable and he can take control in an instant if you get in trouble, Plus if you went with something more like the Hitec i linked to earlier in the thread, if you wanted to you`d be able to upgrade the transmitter to a computer one with memory storage while keeping the reciever, just rebind it to the new tx and roberts your mothers brother

John

The latest Hobby Zone Super Cubs I have seen come with Spectrum radio which do have servo reverse switches and I think its a four channel TX but would have to check to be sure .

Teh

It would be advisable not to buy anything until you have talked to the guys at the club and got some airtime on the club trainer ,they could well have a Tx and buddy set you can use .

Tom.

Sorry guys ie been out flying all day.

the riot comes out of the box complete with 40amp speed controller installed servos installed everything is done for you even the stickers are applied.

it is just a case of assemble it with a screwdriver and fit rx and battery.

you need to buy a tx....rx and a lipo.....and charger ....

I took the riot with me today with the new settings.

the ailerons now set at max movements and the c of g at 90mm from leading edge of wing.

it is a monster set like this on full throws or a pussycat on low throws.

a fun plane.

it made a difference to it today.

sadly nobody on site was willing to try to video for me....

thanks guys for your advice, thanks for the list of stuff gary. That really helps me. Also about the transmitters, thanks, I may have fallen into a trap there. I will take a look at the one you posted earlier John. I will fly first before buying anything. As you say it's for the best.

Oh and tom I apologise when I said 3d, I meant more of a sport flyer. Something that can pick up the pace a bit once I get to grips with the basics. Maybe do the odd loop and roll. I understand about the 3d flyers though, id crash mine in an instant if I bought one. laugh

Just a few quick questions again, this will help me put together a kit list:

gary how many mahps would you recommend for the riot?

would it be worth spending more money on a good transmitter?

finally, what would be a good charger?

Thanks again, I am grateful for your input

Teh

It's a minefield advising on radios as one will suggest one and another will suggest something else.

what you have to look at and decide for yourself is which to go for.

now there are many models you can buy now that are bind & fly. but these don't work on futaba

but do work on spectrum.

i run a dx8 after having a dx7 for several years.

that is my preference but like i say other have there preference.

you need to read up on radios and work out what you would like.

Teh the battery for the riot is 2250mahs. 3cell 33c 11.1volt.

but i believe you can run a 2600 which gives a 15 minute flight time.

I think if you like the hobby once you have had a few flights and find you realy want to get into it.

go for a decent radio then you won't keep changeing later.

my dx8 will take 30 models....have a read up on it.

i can buy bind & fly and simply use with it.

and the recievers can be very cheap.

like you i started out with one model and one setup.

i now have 10 models in the workshop all ready to fly

all have rx's in them bought over a period of time one at a time.

you soon build stuff up.

it's surprising how it becomes addictive ones the bug bites.

Posted by TehMaxwell on 27/05/2012 19:45:33:

also John.

does the Tx you sent me a link to come with rx. Thanks

Teh

teh, sounds like the moneys burning a hole in your wallet but like i said, firstly go down to the club you`l be joining, have a word with the instructors who`l be training you and see what they recommend, the hitec was just an example, its no good you turning up with hitec if all your instructors are futaba/spektrum/whatever as the buddy system only works between manufacturers sets,

ask them what mode most of the club use too, as your probly best off sticking with whats most popular there

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

sorry I have not posted for ages, have been busy.

But today was an enventful day as I flew my first ever plane!

It was a custom trainer and I was on the budy box system.

I did left circuits, right circuits, figure of eights, gliding and full stick (throttle)

The plane was three channel with rudder, elevator and throttle. I also flew mode two.

All in all an Awesome day

and I didn't crash once.

A list of stuff is coming up soon for ure advice.

Thanks

Teh

Yep I well and truly am, can't wait to get my first plane and fly it!

Your right, once the bug bites you can't get away fromk it.

On another note, im kinda stuck.

Im looking at buying a Spektrum DX6I cause it seems the best on the market with LCD screen and programming features. I was looking at a Hitec Optic Five but now I see it as not worth my money, as it has to little capabilities. Am I right? And if so is the Spketrum DX6I worth the money?

Plus could anyone give me a link to a website that sells a combo of Spektrum DX6I and reciever, as I'm finding super hard to find a good deal.

At the moment these are my choices:

Plane: Max Thrust Riot (I was gonna go with the Wot 4, but I looked at reviews and people said they were having A lot of trouble with it. Tail problems, etc.)

Transmitter: Either the Hitec Optic 5/6 or the Spektrum DX6I (Reciever, one that works)

Battery: 2250mah, as recommended by Gary 132

And thats it, it's all I need to get started. Your feedback would be great on the tranmitters, cause ive been told that it's worth getting a good one to start off with. Then you don't have to buy another for a while. (Unless you break it )

Thanks Again

Teh

Our Foam-e Wot 4 has been brilliant, I'm surprised you went for the Riot but that should suit beginners better.

I have a Spektrum DX6i with an AR6210 reciever, and 4 flights in it has been flawless. You can get a combo here, or try Galaxy models if you are round here.

Have fun, but I would advise that you have a more experienced flyer check your model before taking to the skies. With the Spektrum you can also buddy up, which would be good for the first couple of flights. Once you have some more experience you should try building from a kit, it's great fun! 

CS

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 12/06/2012 17:10:00

Thanks for the advice CS,

I would love to build from a kit, or even a Scratch build. Cause you can be creative!

Thanks Again,

Teh

PS: About transmitters, I think im going for the Optic 6. As I can get a really good deal on it, but to me it also looks like the best of the bunch.

I started off on my own fours year back. I had a little head start as I flew gliders with my dad when I was a kid. I brought a Esky HoneyBee FP and thought I had arrive in the would of helicopters.

Aftr some ten flights and ten crashes it hit me that I was becoming a better repair man than a pilot.

I joined a helicopter forum and very quickly realised that I had not brought what would be looked at as a rc helicopter.

So I brought a Blade 400 that came with a Dx6I. I read through the forum and fell about laughing when I read it could take me up to a year to learn hover tail, nose in, side on etc. A year later I did my first inverted hover and learned that they were right on the forum.

I have moved away from Helicopters due to the cost of repair but did have a Raptor 50V2 which I flew but just hovered around at a club I joined. Every crash cost me anywhere between £50-£200.

I brought a Wot trainer when I had been flying helis for 18 months. I have never flown on a buddy box but our club trainer did the take off and landing and I flew the middle bit. Flying helicopters gave me the egde to fly planes well.

I had dreams of spitfires and P51 but knew from other clubs members to go with the trainer. Two and a half years on I have sold on the Wot trainer after some 50 flights and now have a Piper Pawnee 40 amongst others and 65" P47 on the bulding board. I have gone from small two strokes to four stokes. Trainer type aircraft to models with flaps & retracts.

I did it alone at first and it cost me so I am glad you are listing to others and looking to join a club.

Its a great hobby and a great feeling when nail that first three point landing of cross wind take off.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 12/06/2012 23:40:32

Edited By MikeS on 12/06/2012 23:45:42

Thanks Mike,

as you probably read I have had my first flight, it went smoothly. But im yet to try Takeoff and Landing. I was gonna go it alone, but then these guys told me to join a club and sent me in the right direction. Now here I am about to buy a plane!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS! (without you I would be £200 worse, with a pile of foam and broken electronics )

Teh

PS: Yet more help is required Tehehehe, could someone point me towards a good deal on a Power-Tech 2250mah 3s 33c 11.1v battery. As i can't find one at a good price.

PSS: I have found a Optic 6 at £102, how awesome is that. It even come with RX!

Hey Teh

Before you jump in and buy the Optic 6, you might like to check out these two links

Spektrum DX6i TX only - £65 Compatible receivers available HERE

Spektrum DX6i TX & RX combo - £85

Spektrum DX6i TX & RX combo - £110

Both new and guaranteed.

If you went for the TX only, you could get compatible receivers (Orange) from Hobby King, here for a fraction of the price of Spektrum gear. I would also recommend the remote receiver to go with it too. Loads of guys using them and saving a small fortune.

Spektrum have the largest market share and are especially popular with beginners, yet have excellent programming features for when you progress.

The other huge advantage being if you buy and of the "bind 'n' fly" type models, they will almost all come with Spektrum receivers so you have a vast choice of good value planes to choose from too.

Hope this helps

Edited By Redstorm on 13/06/2012 19:35:48

Thanks Redstorm!

That's Brilliant, you may have just swerved my direction. Alot cheaper and they give basically the same progamming capabilities. The only thing I'd say is they are not recharble, and the optic 6 has the ability for flaperons. but no matter the Spektum is just as good.

Thanks a bunch!

teh

Where would i be able to get the charger for it?

Cause if there is nothing between the hitec and the spektrum, both have the same programming, etc.

Then I would go with the Spektrum as I like they way it looks better, and if it comes down to that then. Awesome!

Thanks for the all the advice

Teh

The c rating is how many times its own capacity is can be safely discharged at, i.e. a 10 c 2200mAh battery could be discharged safely at, basicly 10 x 2200= 22000mA or 22 amps but would only last 6 minutes, so your 25 c could be discharged at 55000mA or 55 amps, as the esc is rated lower than this, you could assume that its never going to need that much and your battery will be fine, a watt meter reading would be definitive, but i`d say you`d be OK

Edited By Codename-John on 14/06/2012 19:01:06