Good Start Plane - But Also For Intermediate

TehMaxwell

check this forum for reviews on the two models they are both on here as well as many others.

lipo needed depends on the model you buy.

as for charger there are many i am sure some of these guys will point you in the right direction.

i just have one which i bought years ago that does them all for £70 when it dies i will replace it with whatever is on the market at the time.

i think both the wot 4 and the riot run on 3cell 2300mah lipos.

these are around £23

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, You are going about this the right way and getting lots of sound advice before spending any hard earned.

I don't have enough experience to recommend a trainer however I learned to fly last year on an i.c wot4. I found it fairly easy to learn on the only damage i caused was a misshaped undercarrige which was then bent straight and as I am now finding out it is very aerobatic and great fun!!!!!

Joining a club is not only helpful and an ideal way to learn it is great for making a new bunch of like minded friends and having a good old chat, admire the fantastic models other people have built and watch in amazement at the fancy aerobatics they can do!!

I bought Phoenix flight simulator I think it helped me out no end I spent a lot of time on it before I flew on the buddy box at our club, down side is it is about £70ish but you do get free updates though.

Dean

Another bonus of the Phoenix simulator is the online sessions that you can fly in.

We regularly have online sessions for the forum members and these can also be a great learning environment whilst having a laugh!!

I would back Phoenix Simulator all the way!!

Dave

wink

p.s. ( you can try heli's on it and then see for yourself just how difficult they are to fly!!)

I need to get pheonex just so i can join the online fun when the weather is rubbish....

it's a great fun thing to do again with people you know from the forum and can even show you how to do stuff.

you can type each other on screen while in sim online....very handy tool to have.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have just looked at both the wot4 and the riot, they both look like brilliant planes. However in my opinion the riot looks better. The reveiws were better as well.

In your guys opinion what is better, as I also got recommended a Super Cub earlier in this thread. Which one is best, riot, wot4 or super cub?

I think I'm finally getting in the right direction with rc, which is awesome. Just I am adamant on getting the right plane. But your guys help has really turned me in the right direction. Also the simulators thanks for the idea, I may look into it as a choice of extra experience. (I mean I wouldn't have to keep paying for airframes would I laugh) However, as much as pheonix sounds brilliant, I think I am looking for something a bit cheaper. My budget has to get me all the gear for a good plane see. What are your guys ideas for one around £20 - £30? Which is the best?

thanks

teh

PS: Thanks for all the help, when I get a bit more of a wisened mind about rc, I hope to repay this community with my knowledge as you guys have to me. It's nice to know that newbies are always welcomed! :D

Started as a heli flier and moved over to planks and TBH glad I did, helis can break your heart as well as your bank balance, every crash in a heli means a total rebuild and check over and set-up and because of the inherant design of the things, will do an awful lot of damage in a crash, something you will do often whilst learning to fly. Planes are far more relaxing and forgiving and IMO the best place to start. Still have a good fleet of helis of the 450 size but since buying a Parkzone P51 Mustang they have been gathering dust. A workmate recently asked me for help to get flying and I pointed him to the Blu-Baby, a depron, home made, high wing trainer. Gave him the loan of my redundant Dx6i and off he went and built the plane from downloaded plans.Told him not to bother with U/carriage and fly in meadows where there is plenty of long grass. Cost of building the plane.....about £25+Lipo's @£7 each. I am guessing that he will be competent to fly the p51 in another month (two months total) Another thing that helped me in the air was to forget the ROG and started off with a suicide plane.....No wheels.....Still have to learn ROG but after learning to fly feel pretty confident about doing it. Hope there is some useful info for you here........Glyn

Posted by TehMaxwell on 26/05/2012 15:33:33:

Thanks for all the advice.

I have just looked at both the wot4 and the riot, they both look like brilliant planes. However in my opinion the riot looks better. The reveiws were better as well.

In your guys opinion what is better, as I also got recommended a Super Cub earlier in this thread. Which one is best, riot, wot4 or super cub?

teh

Hi teh

I recommended the Hobbyzone Super Cub only if you intended to attempt to fly without tuition or joining a club.

The Riot is a bit new to make constructive comment although the first reviews look good.Were as the WOT is well proven and there are many on here that fly them .

ROG= roll of the ground     IMO = in my opinion.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 26/05/2012 16:55:05

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 26/05/2012 16:56:26

I run aerofly pro deluxe at moment which is very good but cannot go online with it.

as for which plane you have a good choice of 3 ....i cannot recomend which one as it is a choice of which takes your fancy.

the wot 4 and riot are very much the same as the cub i have not flown so cannot coment on ?

teh

I have witnessed many newbies achieve success with the Super Cub its very easy to fly with gentle characteristics yet robust with spare parts readily available. A very good introduction before going on to WOT class models but not to be flown in other than very light winds until sufficient experience has been gained.

Tom.

Thanks very much for the info Tom, it looks like I may go for the riot or the super cub. I have seen gary's video of the riot. (Which was very informative ) It looks like a very good plane, and something that will fit my needs. I am leaning towards the riot at the moment, as you said it is maybe just up to preferance. Thankyou also to gary for the advice, about both plane and simultor.

How much does the aerofly simulator cost?

The good news is it looks like I will be able to get flying lessons with the Tadcaster Club Which is Brilliant. They have a trainer plane for me to use, 4 instructors and a buddy system. I think I will be in safe hands when learning to play. And like you said, I will be able to marvel at other peoples models and skill. Also advice will be plentyful!

Thanks again

Teh

Also would it be worth buying my own transmitter? Do the planes like the supercub and riot come with a transmitter? I have been told that spektrum ones are good because they can bind and fly with any plane? I understand that one transmitter can last a long time so would it be worth buying. I could also use it with a sim see.

Thanks

Teh

I hope you enjoy the hobby. I taught myself to fly, and succeeded, due to being 18 at the time and having friends who helped me from the onset.

I did start with a 4ch trainer (which I still have!), but did quite a bit of slope-soaring, meaning I could stay in the air for hours (if I didn't crash!) and keep on the sticks.

When i went to my IC powered trainer, I could fly around and land ok.
After that, I moved to a Dynaflite Spitfire, Acrowot and plan-built "Alley Cat", which I flew to death. Still have the Spit (flew last year at a Vintage fly-in), but the Acrowot and Alley Cat succumbed to age and were worn out after 15 years of almost daily flying.

On the subject of transmitters. Most packages don't include the TX. Other than than, some are Bind n' fly, meaning (most likely) you'll need a DSM2 (Spektrum for Parkzone) and SFHSS for the upcomming Ripmax Acro Wot foam. Usually the TX's you get with some packages are basic, and usually only good the model it's for.

Recommend you get your own radio set - after finding out some more information. Also go to Model shows - then you can see what it's all about - plus there are loads of traders in one place.

The next major show is Weston Park, in Shropshire. Go, and when you come back, most questions you ever need to ask will be answered, by meeting people and looking around.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 26/05/2012 17:44:00

Edited By Paul Marsh on 26/05/2012 17:44:34

Thanks Paul!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good transmitter for around £30-£40, it would need to be able to pair with the riot. As I think i am going to choose that plane in the end. As everyone is saying it's good. Thanks for the advice on transmitters paul, from what it looks like I probably should buy a TX and RX.

As for other news I downloaded the trial of clear veiw. (Thanks for the idea) It is a good simulator, and exactly the thing I was looking for. Im only using a keyboard at the moment. I managed to lift off ok and do a few turns, as I know about balancing rudder and ailerons. (Thanks to Youtube for that ) Then I tried to land, and as you probably guessed I crashed. My first flight was very wild, but I managed to keep the plane in the air. The more flights I did the better I got. I have managed to do a circuit and land badly. But I was preety happy with that.

Thanks

Teh

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Super Cub is an EXCELLENT plane to learn on and is very forgiving. Very stable and thanks to the dihedral has good self-righting ability. Highly recommended.

I know you mentioned that flight times were a concern and thats why I thought I'd give the Mentor another plug. You will get 20-25 minute flights from a 4500mAh battery and there is space to put two onboard if you were so inclined, giving you 40-50 minutes airtime. However, I'd suggest whilst learning that you'd probably want shorter flights than that as you'll be concentrating pretty hard on keeping the plane in the air.

I've only flown a WOT 4 once but it seemed -pretty good. The advantage with the WOT being it is quote aerobatic and will take you beyond trainer, but lacks the dihedral and self-righting ability of most trainers.

As for SIMULATORS, you will need a USB adaptor for your transmitter and I found THIS on eBay for less than £9 delivered. including all the software wink needed to get it working with Pheonex, Aerofly, XTR, FMS and G5 (All top Simulators). Don't be put of buying from HK its fantastic value for money and arrives soon enough.

Good Luck!

thanks for the suggestion tom, my only query is it has no aeilerons. I was looking for something that could step it up and do 3d once I learned the basics. Thats why im leaning towards the riot. Because it has that as one of it's features.

As a side note, I have found that it's much better to have your own reciever. I've found a few, like **LINK** Is this one any good?

Posted by TehMaxwell on 27/05/2012 14:54:30:

thanks for the suggestion tom, my only query is it has no aeilerons. I was looking for something that could step it up and do 3d once

Teh

3D flying requires a model dedicated to that particular class .It would not be very good idea to just bump up the power in any old plane and I think it would be fair to say that 3D flying will be a thing to attempt much later in your flying career.

This is one of my 3D models ,very light and not for the rough and tumble.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 27/05/2012 15:22:03