2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Hi All master builders, Just want to wish you all well at Greenacres this week end and hope the Tucano's return home safely and in one piece!!

As you can see I am about half way through and without the help and encouragement from you all would not have got this far. although I've had my fair share of problems I know help is not far away!!

As a novice I have found the jump from building with a kit to  working from a plan a bit daunting but I have another 6 months to finish. Now most of you on here have finished, and from your pics. to a very high standard - I hope you stick around and maintain your help to us novices.

Mike.

progress so far.jpg

Edited By Mike Hardy on 20/06/2013 11:48:31

Edited By Mike Hardy on 20/06/2013 11:49:21

Advert

It still looks good BEB and there's no question that the black and yellow scheme you have reproduced on the model is a classic in style. Mine is a figment of my imagination and an exercise in poetic license(!)

Perhaps if I get the arrester hook working we could have a go at carrier deck landings like the control liners do. I need to get loads of practice in though, at the moment I'd struggle to get it onto the deck at all, let alone pick up the wire!

The assembled Tucanos look good! Even a patch of blue sky in one photo. Hope you chaps are having better weather there than here. Just been out cycling in a 30mph gale with storm clouds on the horizon. Kept wishing I was on a slope with my Middle Phase instead!

Here's hoping you all get some flying in

Great to meet some faces behind the forum posts yesterday, sorry my visit to Greenacres was brief but it looked very well supported and I hope the weather improved for the afternoon.

Sitting on a train in Birmingham Central ststion it looked like blue skies heading Greenacres way smiley

Loads of nice models and friendly people - I do wish I could have stayed longer. Oh well, there's always next year...

It was great to see everyone today and yesterday and I've enjoyed the whole mass-build experience. It was a great shame that the adverse weather limited the Tucano flying, but I managed to get one in and I'm happy with that. I've put photos in as requested by Pete B.

Many thanks to the Greenacres team who've worked so hard to lay this on. I hope that everyone has a safe journey back, some are going a long way.

Also I hope that we can keep in touch on projects through this excellent forum. Looking forward to seeing you all again. Next big event for the SCRCAC members is Fradley Scale Day on 21 July. Let's pray for better weather for that one!

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 23/06/2013 17:54:23:
Well some very nice Tucano's on show at Greenacres, it was great to meet up with you all. I don't know how I managed to miss out meeting Nigel, perhaps next time.

This has spurred me on to get mine finished

You were just unlucky missing Nigel, James he was not there for long to be fair, have you seen the pics thread here yet?

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 23/06/2013 18:01:47

Well here's a statistic I didn't expect, 42.8% of the Tucano Mass Builders present were from my club - SCRCS.

42.8% from SCRCS

Many of you will know (or do know now) MartynK and myself however third from the left at the back is Tom Doyle with a very well made model indeed... tomorrow the world... wink 2

Because of "marginal stability in the vertical plane"(!) evident on Sunday, i.e. twitchy on elevator, I took a look at the cg and despite my thought that it was spot on, it was actually a bit rearwards. (Correct diagnosis Martin). I put 40gms of wheel balance weights (very useful) in the nose and that put it about 6mm forward of the plan position. I've flown it tonight and it's spot on, absolutely on rails with precise control response and no sensitivity. The conditions were perfect, no wind at all and to be fair, doing the original flights in howling gales probably didn't help sort out trim requirements. It's now very nice to fly and the excess of available power means it can be flown between pussy cat and lunar orbiter without any vices at either end of the spectrum. I'm looking forward to getting a lot of flying out of this, it's definitely been worth the effort. If I get the time, I might even have a go at tidying up the scruffy bits of my painting effort.

Well I mentioned Tom Doyle in my last post - waving his Tuc about as if he was going to do something with it, then went home with it still to have a maiden flight.

Today however:

1.jpg

What a model - I had a fly of it and it's absolutely lovely.

Leaves me lagging behind somewhat embarrassed but I'll get there... after I've been on holiday next week.

Edited By Ian Jones on 25/06/2013 23:12:32