2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Yes, the grip of these rare earth magnets is fantastic - much better than the old ordinary ones we used to use. Definitely not near metal objects! I have some fun doing some measurements on my hatch at one point - had to restort to a plastic rule as the metal one just kept "leaping" at the magnet!

BEB

Advert

The canopy/hatch on my 1/5 scale Chipmunk is held on with a few rare earth magnets, roughed up as previously suggested. I too use magnet on magnet as the strength is quite impressive. I was spinning the Chipmunk at the weekend and if anything would lift a canopy I would expect that to.

I hold cowls on with them too, no visible screws teeth 2

And you are right Colin it must be at LEAST half a mile wink 2

dscf5213.jpg

dscf5212.jpg

dscf5214.jpg

Just a shot showing the (untidy) inside of the (Sea)!Tucano canopy and the magnets. You don't need anything more than this if the magnets are in direct contact, it's exactly as Danny describes.

The other two shots show the "son of Tucano" Seafang/Spiteful that i had to put aside while I re-engineered the Tucano and started on again today. I want to see how the flat plate wing works with a sharp taper like this and no wash-out.

Because of the wing shape and outboard ailerons I can't use strip ailerons and central servo as on the Tucano, but I worked out that if I use two separate servos they can hide inside the wide, shallow underwing radiators that are a feature of this fighter, and operate the ailerons through short torque rods. I think I'll start off with an undercarriage for test flights and have a go without if it works ok. The inability to fit retracts is the down-side to the flat plate wing, of course.

Identical power-train to the Tucano which runs up to 56/57 Amps and 670 Watts, so shouldn't be a problem there. I've found that the Tucano goes over 10 minutes without running flat with a 3S 3000mah Lipo because it needs so little throttle.

Edited By M. Mouse - Moderator on 15/07/2013 22:21:01

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/07/2013 22:22:04

Well, clearly if all IE users are experiencing the same problem it would be something at this end, otherwise it must be your settings. Any other IE users experiencing this, please?

Right now I can only suggest trying an alternative browser to see if that solves the problem, Mike. TBH, we seem to get more problems with IE than any other browser....

Pete

Well for once this isn't a problem only for Mike!

My browser is IE, and the right hand 1/3 is blotted out by adverts.

Pressing the cmpatability button compresses the text into the left hand 2/3rds, but I had no reply dialogue box so I've had to get onto my tablet to post this!

Nigel Hawes.

Hello, I'm on IE9, Windows 7. Page 77 has indeed gone funny, with Compatibility View ON. With Comp.View OFF, its OK again. However, with Comp. View OFF, the Return key doesn't work when posting.

(on/off or off/on - can't tell which, but its one or t'other)

Ian