2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

A lot to do yet!! Still got to tackle the thorny question of covering My planned scheme is 'the Battle of Britain' so its got to be a painted job, My first choose would be tissue - what do you think? I have some PolyC and fibre matt but tried a sample a few weeks back and found I could pull it off!! With my luck on this project, a few weeks to go yet. The 'twisted wing' poor wood selection, and the dreaded CNC pack set me back a bit.

I am truly amazed how you guys can produce a quality Tucano in next to no time, I guess I am at one end of the skill spectrum and you lot are at the other (top) end. I have other things to do in life like a partner and an Allotment. If we could stop the clock or slow it down a bit!!!

Mike.

The BoB scheme will look great. I'm sure whichever method of covering you will go for will be fine, Poly-C seems to be the in-thing at present. I stuck with the time-honoured sanding sealer, tissue and dope then paint. It's perfectly tough enough, easy and best of all, I know how to do it! It's also dead easy to patch if you scuff a wing-tip or something. Eeny-meeny-miny- mo!

Evening all,

im pleased to report that I've maidened my Tuc. It was a little blustery but she handled it with aplomb. Needing a fair bit of up elevator,I wonder if I've managed to get the thrust line or the incidence out by a bit? Should I try packing up the te or the le of the wing, or should I leave alone and be happy all is well!

Of course, being the monkey I am, I took three packs with me, only to discover when changing the pack after the first flight that I'd only put Velcro on the one pack, *slaps head*. I contemplated pulling the Velcro off the first pack and applying it to each of the others in turn, but then decided not to risk it, so she is back home safely after the single flight.

Very enjoyable to fly though, really nice little aircraft.

Good to hear Robin this design is just stunning isn't she? When my test pilot handed me the tx it was the 1st time in 4 yrs since I'd flown and it took all of 15 secs for me to get comfortable, a lot is down to the flat wing design I think, quite a bit to thank Nigel for methinks.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Hope master builders are still monitoring the Tucano forum. I am having difficulty in shaping the Sarik Vacform canopy supplied by HMS. What techniques should be used to cut the vacform without marking. Using scissors I have wrecked my first attempt so before I attempt another better ask? Where should I get the replacement - Vortex or Sarik?

Mike.

Hi Mike

I also had fun cutting the canopy to shape, I cut the scrap plastic from the canopy sides and ends so that it would fit over the cockpit and sit roughly in place.

I then used low tac "frog" masking tape to cover the areas to be cut and marked the cut outline in pencil while holding the canopy in place over the cockpit with my other hand.

I then used a small pair of very sharp scissors to slowly trim the canopy down to the pencil line but checking the fit so not to cut too much off. I started off about 5mm away from the pencil line and cut off thin strips until it fit nicely.

Wolston has it spot on! Scissors are the tool of choice, but perhaps counter-intuitively small ones seem to be best. I use the curved blade manicure type scissors. The second tip is, as Wolston says, "creep up on it"! Cut it roughly to shape, then "home in" on the line.

Its one of those jobs which is fraught with stress I'm afraid! The key is - take your time and do it gradually with lots of trim a bit then test it in place, then trim a bit more etc. Remember, as my old Dad used to say, "you can always take a bit more off, you can't put it back on"!

BEB

Hi Just like to thank Robin for the link to those scissors - ordered a pair and arrived today!! Tried them out and they are absolutely fantastic they cut PETG (canopy material) just like butter and being curved follow complex shapes easily. If only I would have known about these before it would have saved me a lot of hassle.

Now I hope the mods and those upstairs at RCMandE are looking and listening! Please can we have some articles that covers tools and basic techniques re 'balsa bashing' for us novices. I subscribe to the mag but do not see many articles on the basics yet there are plenty on the ARTF.

Mike.

Obviously I don't speak for the mag Mike - and mods certainly have no influence over editorial policy! - but I hear what you say, I too would like to see a bit more emphahsis on building in the mag. But appreciate that it is difficult to achieve in practice in that format.

Do you not think that this is the area that the forum deals with best? Through the mass build and the many other build blogs we, as a community, work to pass on our collective knowledge of "how its done" and "what tools its done with". Personally I think this is one of the things the forum is particularly good at - possibly better than the mag because its interactive. If you see someone like Tony Bennett or Danny Fenton doing something a particular way - well in the mag you can read about it, but here you can not only read and see, you can ask questions and get more or less instant replies!

You may already be an avid follower of build blogs of course, but if not I'd strongly suggest that you follow as many as possible. They cover a huge breadth, from the basic to the very advanced in terms of techniques and give you a very good insight into what works and what doesn't always deliver the goods! smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/08/2013 11:19:56

I am honored to be a reference BEB thanks for that. I would just add that the hobby has a constant flow of people taking up the hobby, and as such what you may explain last year in print will be new to a guy thats starts next year, if you get my drift. So it is difficult to produce something that appeals to the wider audience without repeating stuff every couple of years.

As BEB says follow as many build blogs as you can and just soak it all in. The internet is a wonderful tool but you must do some work too, use the search tools and be prepared to read. I spend about an hour a day on various forums following the build blogs of great builders around the world. The likes of Phil Clark, Merlyn Graves, Dave Quartermaine, Vic Catalasan, Chad Veich (and loads and loads more) are all first class modellers who will genuinely answer your questions, and post loads of pics so you can understand how they approach stuff. Remember there is no right or wrong way to do anything, just discover "your way"

For instance, I use a jewellers saw to cut out canopys wink 2 Have never got on with scissors especially when they are nearly a millimeter thick.....

Cheers

Danny

And a millimetre is a lot to Danny - believe me!

BEB

PS See what I mean about almost instant responses?!

PPS A good build blog to read - if you haven't done so - is Danny's "Don't just stand there..." blog on the Spit. Lots of great advice and "hands on" stuff even including videos - I've recently been learning all about "peel-ply" when glasing from there! But be prepared for a sad ending face 16