2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Hi Martin.

You don't surprise me at all. Laminar flow sections never delivered what was claimed, even Lee Atwood who headed the P51 design team said in his book that the reason for it's high speed wasn't the wing section, it was the ducted cooling system based on Professor Meredith's principles (Farnborough) that added 35 mph to the top speed.

If I do a built up wing I've already decided that I'll use the Spitfire NACA wing section (2200)? and put in 2 1/2 degrees of wash-out, same as the Spit. I bet nobody will notice, but I gharantee it will fly better!

My personal philosophy is: if you can see them when the model is assembled ready to fly, then paint them! If not don't worry about them!

A bit of paint shouldn't worry the glue, just don't paint it completly glass-like smooth - leave the glue some texture to work with. With any luck it won't be just surface adhedsion you get. If you are concerned, then try a test piece to see if the glue's grip is compromised at all.

Nice instruments by the way!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/08/2013 13:17:49

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks BEB, having a few issues with the cockpit - the Vortex pilots are too tall for the Sarik canopy supplied by MHS so had to cut them down to fit. Why do I always get these probs Mmmm? So I am almost ready to glue the canopy on to the pilot assy. then I can finish the front end off

The price you paid for the Balsacraft FW190 kit was low!! They go on Ebay for well over £100 if you can get one. It was a pity the people who bought Balsacraft did not continue with those kits - excellent quality.

Mike.

Pilots are often too tall - they seem to make them for the lowest conceivable cockpit floor! I had to trim over 50% of the height of mine off! Still I suppose its better than them being too short and looking like they are peering over the cockpit side saying "What no bananas"! sad

Yeas I think the FW190 was a bargain. Looking forward to building it - looks a good kit at first glance.

BEB

• 4 weeks later...

I had a minor accident and sprained my thumb badly back at the end of March and put my 3/4 done build on hold for a couple of weeks which extended until now I suppose I spent the summer flying but now the dark evenings are upon us I'm restarting.

I'm about to fit the two tail servos. The question is 'Where?'. I'm intending to use either a 2200 or 2650 3S LiPo (I have a few for my other models) so I wonder whether I need as much forward as I can get, or would it be better to put them near the tail to get the CoG somewhere near.

I'm sure there are so many finished now it's common knowledge where it's best to mount them

thanks in anticipation

Geoff

Thanks Martin but I assume you have the extra nose-leg weight which is likely to move the CoG forward. Mine will be either hand launch or I'll use a dolly. In any case I won't allow it to be seen anywhere near yours as it would look like piece of balsa scrap. Yours is, as I think I said when you posted pictures, absolutely stunning.

Geoff

I am about to paint the Vortex pilots, and bought paint for that job about half a year ago. The scheme I selected had parts of the helmets in blue. I had a picture when I bought the paint but I cannot find it back.

The Tucano will be in the 2008 scheme, so it may have been the 2008 uniform/helmet scheme. However, on the RAF site I do not find anything, and google does not help me out either. The picture may have been in a build thread somewhere, but these have become very big.

Does this ring a bell? Any links in the right direction would be highly appreciated.

Regards, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 09/10/2013 21:45:01

• 2 weeks later...