2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Advert

Mike a few days ago we went to a new layout - same features, same content, but a new layout. The ads are not new - they have always been there but, as Pete says, instead of being down both sides they are one only down one side. The text box has also been made wider. See this thread for more details.

BEB

Hi Colin, don't worry about what happened, it's one of the "charming features" of this forum.

If you post a number of pictures in the same post, could you put a space (press the enter key) between each one?
If you don't, the post looks fine to most people, including yourself. But for some people, the photos stack side by side and really mess up the page.
There's no way anyone would know this is necessary, so we tend to put the posts right and let people know.

There are a good number of fixes promised over the next couple of weeks, the tech folks are "paddling like mad under the water".
I'm not sure I understand yet exactly what is going to be improved though. Let's give them the time and a little space.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/07/2013 23:04:02

Hi all, I have just started to look at the cockpit and have noticed F4 from the CNC pack appears too wide see pic. Could somebody on here measure their outside fuselage width at F4 location, I get mine to be 62mm whereas F4 is 75mm at its widest point. Just what is going on here - is my fuselage too narrow at this point. It seems OK with respect to F2

F4 - too wide with cnc pack!!.jpg

Hi Mike

I asked the same question on my build blog - I hand cut all my parts rather than using the wood pack and I can confirm there is an error on the plan. F4 on the plan does not take into account of the taper towards the top of the fuselage.

I made a new F4 that was the same height as drawn on the plan but just curved the width to fit my actual fuselage sides.

You have not made a mistake

Cockpit floor: I am using the vortex vac-form pilot seat and instrument binnacle. This Assembly extends almost the full width of the fuselage, do I just glue these to the cockpit floor? Some builders have used elaborate floor schemes but can I just make a simple 1/8" ply floor. The seat rest is hollow should this be filled in with expanding poly-foam?

Mike.

Hi Robin, great idea

Mike, yes just cut the seats to the shape of the floor and stick down in a position that allows the canopy to clear the pilots heads. I roughed the under side of plastic up a bit with the fine side of my permagrit and stuck the seats down with CA.

Before doing that I bent the seat backs up by heating the plastic gently with a lighter then I filled the seat rests with spray foam, trimmed it off and put a very thin balsa back on them then painted the balsa black.

The fancy sides on my canopy floor are a direct copy of what BEB did in his build blog. The sides give the canopy a slightly more realistic look and also give more surface to glue the plastic to. I did have to cut a bit off the pilots shoulders to make them fit.

If you look in my build blog I posted an image you can print out and use for an instrument panel, it is from a photo of a full size RAF Tucano.

Hi WF, I take your point about contact area - did you paint the edge before gluing? I am using the Vortex pilot seats and some has to be trimmed off to allow for the new balsa edge.

A question on expanding poly... I bought a can some time ago when I filled the pilots, the stuff was quite expensive and totally useless after 4 months on the shelf. There was no blockage after the button. What did come out was at a low pressure and did not expand much. Have you on here found this too?

Mike.

Mike. Not sure why you want to use expanding poly foam, you don't need to fill these mouldings. They're perfectly rigid enough when they are glued together. I just glued 1/16" balsa onto the back of the ejector seats and painted it all matt black. The best way to do the pilot figures is to use the earlier suggestion of cutting a piece of 1/32" balsa to the shape of the moulding, (draw round it with a pencil, cut roughly to shape), then sticking the front and back halves to it, sand smooth and paint. Dead easy, quick and perfectly ok. Mine is well flown now, five more flights yesterday and all perfectly serviceable. No need to make life more complicated than it has to be.

Hi Mike

Yes I painted the cockpit interior and edges matt black before sticking the canopy in place.

I did fill my pilots and seat backs with foam, the tip came from Tim @modelmarkings who has a build sequence for the pilots somewhere in his build blog. The foam in the pilots gave them a bit of extra support when sanding the balsa joining sheet to shape, if you are careful you probably don't need it.

I also used a can of spray foam that had been in the shed for a long time, it would not let any foam out so I ended up forcing the valve open with a nail so the rest of the contents were emptied into a plastic bag and thrown away

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 20/07/2013 17:22:57