Cutting circular holes?

Advert

I also use a brass tube. Good tip for cutting brass tubes- use a scalpel or stanley knife. Just put the knife across the tube and roll it backwards and forwards, if you keep to the same place on the tube it cuts through nicely and the bevelled edge on the blade makes quite a sharp edge on the tube for cutting balsa.

Another possibility:-

You can get metal circular pastry cutters from hardware/kitchen shops, or perhaps your kitchen.

These can be sharpened with a pit of emery paper, or a permagrit tool.

Pad the top surface. If you have to cut a lot of holes you can blister the palm of your hand - and people will not believe how you did it!

Plummet

Some time back I bought a set of 'softbore' tools sizes 7mm 16mm 19mm 26mm (I believe other sizes are available) they do the job well.

Unfortunately I have lost the reciept and the details of the sopplier but you could try Google

Softbore tools.

Edited By Mowerman on 02/06/2012 18:52:39

hi

I use an old carbon Fishing POLE, (not a rod) there is then a choice between 1/4 " up to probably 2" and anything in between depending on where you cut it. you could possibly get 50 x 6" cutters.

I got one from a second hand shop for £2

Be careful, because the cut edge is very sharp.

Regards

Bob

Posted by Mowerman on 02/06/2012 18:47:39:

Some time back I bought a set of 'softbore' tools sizes 7mm 16mm 19mm 26mm (I believe other sizes are available) they do the job well.

Unfortunately I have lost the reciept and the details of the sopplier but you could try Google

Softbore tools.

Edited By Mowerman on 02/06/2012 18:52:39

Brian Gaskin was the originator of the Softbore tools.

Some lower grade, not very sharp tools can be bought at tool stalls or garden centres,

It is fairly simple to fabricate a set from various diameters of brass tube, sharpened at one end, as described above.

WEll here is my tip:-

I needed 40 discs to create dummy cylinders for my Tomtit, albeit 2 different sizes, I needed them to be round and 1/16 thick with a 2nd set 1/8 thick, after many trys and failures, I came up with this..

take an old hole saw cutter, the ones I have had teeth like a crosscut saw, find one that suits the require hole measuring the out side or inside dia. with a #11 modeling blade, epoxy it to the outside or inside of the cutter, making sure that the blade will extend through the balsa before the cutter teeth chomps up ya work

place it in your drill stand and feed the cutter slowly down , when the blade goes through the balsa it will spin upwards... there you have a perfect disc with a centre hole, after all is done, break off the epoxy and reuse the blade and cutter.... BUT WATCH YA FINGERS. it will cut through thin ply as well 

easy he

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 02/06/2012 23:45:49

The brass tube/old aeriel idea works best for me but 1 tip. Sharpen the cutting edge from the INSIDE of the tube so the blade is the Full diameter of the tube. More important if there's any real thickness to the wall of the tube. That way the wood won't split if you push it right through. Not so much a problem on thicker wood but a real problem when I cut holes in thin, small ribs before I sharpened my cutters that way

Ian.