Thread terminations

Solly

What a shame that the recent thread "I/C days may be passing" had to be terminated. I was quite enjoying the lively discussion comparing i/c with electric power, but as is increasingly common, a minority of rather childish people had to spoil it for the rest of us by posting churlish and at times insulting remarks. The decision to remove the thread was obviously the correct path to take,- it's a pity that the people who posted the offending remarks cannot be barred from participating in the Forum in future. That would make the site a happier place.

Advert

What truly amazes me is that these discussions gravitate towards such daft trading of insults! Why ON EARTH can't people just be content to do what interests them and accept that others have different interests? Electric or I.C. doesn't bother me one iota - I fly both, and if someone flys just one discipline and isn't interested in the other then who cares?

It was indeed correct to close the thread - insults should not be tolerated under any circumstances. Shame on those involved and learn to grow up chaps, for goodness sake!

Hi Chaps,

well thanks for the positive comments on the decision - much appreciated.It is s pity we had to close it - but it was just heading inevitably for a argument I'm afraid.

There are a number of topics in our hobby that some folks refuse to accept you cannot win an argument on - its impossible and just leads to discontent when people try. I'd number amongst them:

Which is the best radio system

Electric vs IC

Gliders vs powered

mixing helis with planes

supporting the LMS versus buying on the internet

I could go on! Its OK to dicuss these and weigh up the pros and cons. The problem comes when some insist "I'm right and your wrong" - because that ignores a basic principal, on matters such as this there is no right or wrong only personal preferences. Also the problems start when folks depart from extolling the virtues of their choice and instead decide to decry the shortcomings (as they see them) of the other guy's choice!

Its only a hobby, its how we spend our leisure time. Its not serious - its fun. The watch word I think is to respect the other guy's choice. Its not your choice, its his as to how he spends his leisure time.

BEB

Whenever I see a thread saying things like 'what should I buy', I think 'oh no not again'. People will naturally base their response on what they have bought, but unfortunately some are so certain that their choice is right that they start to become abusive if anyone begs to differ. Like flytilbroke, I tend to withdraw or avoid such threads.

Aye... I was gonna say my bit, but I thought it'd get lost in the argument...

Closing a thread is never a good thing, that's not what it's about, BUT, neither is trading tit-for-tat remarks.. I've been on enuf car forums where it gets nasty, and it's not nice...

If and When I meet any of you, at a show or fly-in, i'd like to think it's gonna be a pleasurable experience, not a punch up over old posts.. Don't want any anamosity, so be friendly to everyone..

Besides, it was a dead argument to start with.. !!

Did horses go exstinct when cars came along..?

Steam engine, steam trains, vintage cars, antique furniture, pen and paper.... ALL superceded by better, cheaper, more efficient versions, but yet, they all have a place in modern life...?!

Why..?? Apart from the fact they all did a good job before the new one came along, it's because humans are sentimental old fools.. That's it.. No arguing .. There will ALWAYS be someone who prefers it...

My job is done, i've said my bit..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

I guess that's the problem with t'interweb. Everyone gets a voice, good, bad and indifferent.

Without wanting to restart this thread, as was about to post that the opinions were all UK centric. Been a UK flyer that has just spent 2 years flying in the USA and now in Germany; the flying habits and preferences are worlds apart.

In the UK, I saw a good mix of IC (2S and 4S) with electric.

In the USA, 2 stroke IC is still the king. Some 4S for scale builds, but electric is only seen on indoor foamies. larger planes (90 size+) are converting to petrol, although there was still a fair few Moki 180s and OS120+ engines aerobats been flown in my US club. There is not shortage of demand for traditional 2S and 4S IC engines, nor traditional builds for that matter.

Now in Germany, it seem to be mostly electric and petrol, with very few IC diehards left. Of course I have developed to follow UK, then US trends, so I have lots of IC.

From my experience, it seems to only be Europe that is seeing such a drastic reduction in IC sales, maybe induced by cost of fuel and noise/EU regulations.

So what?, I think as long as there's a predominantly engine thirsty US market for IC, they will continue to be available.

wink Me thinks that is more what BEB was after, rather than the usual slanging match.