Extra Slim Twin

Tony Bennett

Advert

I've got one of those on the shelf waiting to be built. Might be my project this winter. Are you going for a one piece model or changing it to have removable wings?

Really liked the model when I saw one fly, plus the bonus of having a full size plan if you bend it !!

Will keep an eye on this thread, be interesting to see of you come across anything interesting during your build.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited By simon burch on 07/06/2012 19:28:47

I can confirm that they ARE fun...mine (see my avatar) had a couple of OS 40s but departed this life due to failing to recover from a flat spin and, I suspect, losing the inboard engine during the manouevre - serves me right for getting cocky and entering it below "one mistake high"...

Don't let this put you off in any way - the single engine behaviour is so good that on several occasions after an engine cut early in a flight, I simply continued to fly a normal length flight on the remaining one. In fact I lost an engine on the second circuit of my maiden (and first twin) flight and after realising why the trim seemed to have gone to pot simply flew another circuit and landed with very little difficulty (and a little rudder).

I do have an Extra Slim kit which I've cut the second fuselage parts from and they're all lurking in the box ready for a space in the building/rebuilding schedule. I also have a couple of OS 46 AXs earmarked for duty...which should be fun!

Hopefully this thread will inspire me to move it up the list. It probably won't take that much persuasion...

It's a bit early in the build but I did think the wings looked a little boxy so my colour scheme tried to give it a little more Extra-ish shape

Slim Twin

Oh, and don't do what I did when shaping the cheek pieces - you know all the stories about building two left wings/fuselage halves etc. Well not me, I would never be so stupid - I carefully carved and sanded two perfect mirror images and went to try them in situ...the first one fitted perfectly...the other seemed oddly out of shape...it should have been made exactly the same as the first one...doh!

Edited By Martin Harris on 07/06/2012 23:40:37

By the way, there is a kit available if anyone wants to build one. smiley

As the demise of mine prompted a search for another kit. Have a spare Extra Slim kit, in box.

Was down London, in Ewell and Mick Charles Models had TWO Extra Slim Twin kits!!! Been there a while, but they were around £40 each. I bought one, but sure the other one is still there. Give him a ring, and check...

Website here: Mickcharlesmodels.

As the Extra Slim Twin is twice the model the Extra Slim is, you'll love it too!

Mine first flew on a couple of SC25s which were adequate, then 40 FPs which were better, then ball raced 40s which were great and the next one will have 46 AXs - this is a model that thrives on power!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/06/2012 12:49:25