Extra Slim Twin

Tony Bennett

Advert

• 5 months later...

just an update, thank you tony its a great build, i now have 2 sc 25s to fit the plane so i am now ready to tackle the covering . i am cheating a bit by getting my brother to do some of it with me. i hADNT STARTED TO COVER IT because i didnt have room for it in one piece till now. ps still sorting a motor for the hurricane, i have one but ithink its not man enough. iwill have to sell a few bits to raise the loot and buy the right one with an ESC regards phil

• 1 month later...

hi tony, the twin is now covered and looking smart. thank you very much for a smashing build job.

i would like to ask martin harris and paul marsh for some information on how to operate the center flap. i believe it goes up when the elevator goes down, but there is no information as to how you set it up. is it connected to seperate servo's or does it go to opposite sides of the servo disc or arm. also is it best to use snakes or the rods supplied. engines now going to be LA40s.

regards phil

Phil,

Here's a copy of a message I sent to Tony a while back on the very same subject. Feel free to ask any more questions...

That question brings back memories! I remember a lot of head scratching, searching the net and enquiring with various people when I was trying to fathom out the same thing!

When I bought my kit at a club bring and buy (second hand with the tailplane started), I only got one wing plan sheet and assumed that the details needed were on the missing one. Eventually, I worked out what I believe was the designer's intent using 8 servos...

2 aileron servos (mine were mounted/exited beneath the wings, not above but I don't recall departing from the plans here) 2 throttle servos, 2 rudder servos, 2 elevator servos which also operated the central flap (using the mystery extra control horns - as you say, 10 in all!)

I've uploaded a picture (Servo layout) to my "misc" photo folder which I took after it being mid-aired on its second outing just as I was starting to fall in love with the model(I subsequently rebuilt it and enjoyed countless flights afterwards) which shows the layout of half of the central servos (throttle servos in leading edge) mounted using double sided tape and cable ties for additional security, On the top servo in the "servo layout" picture you can just make out the double armed servo horn which drove the elevator via a long pushrod and flap via a short one working in opposition like some old control liners. I must admit that I'd forgotten this until I studied the photos (see the "plan view" which shows 4 pushrods going to the tail end quite clearly and another picture or two of the model in the same folder).

Posted by Martin Harris on 07/06/2012 23:36:56:

It's a bit early in the build but I did think the wings looked a little boxy so my colour scheme tried to give it a little more Extra-ish shape

Slim Twin

Your colour scheme certaily is very effective in taking away from the 'boxy' shape!

Must add this to my list of tips & tricks!

CF rods for elevators and rudders and short wire pushrods (one to each end of the flap) operated from the opposite side of the elevator servo arms. As I recall, the horns are sufficiently out of line to accomodate this.

Battery...I don't recall but probably something like a 1400 mAH NiCad (never liked NiMHs) in a square pack - these days I'd probably use 1100 A123 cells. I think it was tucked into the leading edge IIRC.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
Posted by Martin Harris on 07/06/2012 23:36:56:

I do have an Extra Slim kit which I've cut the second fuselage parts from and they're all lurking in the box ready for a space in the building/rebuilding schedule. I also have a couple of OS 46 AXs earmarked for duty...which should be fun!

Hopefully this thread will inspire me to move it up the list. It probably won't take that much persuasion...

Just happened across this thread while looking for some reminders as I've finally got round to extracting my box of wood from the loft, nearly 7 years after posting the above. I've built most of the woodwork over the last couple of weeks - just an aileron and the central flap to go before covering and fitting out...

Did any of you gentlemen building your own Slim Twins get them in the air? Were (hopefully are) they as much fun as I promised?

I'm certainly looking forward to getting my new one in the air although I may delay the maiden until after the club spring "show 'n' tell" event next month if I can resist the temptation! It would be a bit of a novelty for me to take a model without hangar rash and oil/grass stains for once...

• 1 year later...

Having seen Martin's EST and been given a very tired Cougar with a OS LA46 that I thought might convert to electric at some point if the covering didn't fall off first. Alas with the oil contamination of the balsa it was not going to be easy

A quick discussion with Jon (non Laser related) on the do as little as possible with the engine resulted in the engine running well (thanks Jon). What can I say about the flight envelope apart form very nice and totally forgiving and with Dave's cross the rudder wires for that instant flick roll cheeky

All prior to the current situation Martin kindly loaned me his drawings and SLEC cut main rib and fuselage ply parts and them blow me a complete kit turned up on the BMFA classified.

Drawings are good and instructions are so so, but how difficult can it be.

20191024_102251.jpg

20200403_170329.jpg

20200406_112508.jpg

20200409_074905.jpg

20200412_144905.jpg

I have not tried translucent coverings before and unfortunately a couple of my weight blocks left marks on the balsa I can't rub out. I am more a function over form so I'll have to dig the other non runner OS LA 46 and see how that goes once was are out of lockdown.

20200419_060235.jpg

I'll post regarding the wiring as I went around in circles and ended up where I started, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Hi,

Looked even more fun that the Cougar and that was massive excitement every time I flew it. I just mentioned to a fellow cub member (who I had bought a spare wing off) that at some point I would sell it and after he bin linered his and ask if it was available so I sold him the complete model - engine for £5 (what he charged me for the wing).

When I saw Martin fly his I (EST) and thought wow that looks heaps of fun + I just love twins so win win!

Yes it has a spruce/balsa laminated spare front to back + the front to TE is a sandwich of ply and balsa, with balsa sheet from TE to tail

Are yes the central flap.

The original has the flap connected to the elevator servos and works in the reverse direction.

Discussions with Martin (who put almost every servo on its own RX channel) seemed a bit over the top....until I realised that half the servos are effectively reverse acting so by the time I had fitted reversers and found out some were not linear (e.g. elevator has 2 servos on one elevator) its was just easier to the same as Martin and mix it in the TX. I am sure Martin won't say I told you so, just smile that it took me that long to learn for myself (thanks Martin).

Martin also has some other mixes in for engine starting, STOL and rudder to throttle which I can't get my head around yet, but I have time later for that.

Edited By Chris Walby on 20/04/2020 09:35:34

Chris is slightly incorrect above - I used every servo on its own channel. I haven't ever decided exactly what the designer's intent was regarding servo usage - my original version used mechanical mixing between the flap and elevator with one servo each side and my second one had one servo driving the flap and one for the elevator - less balanced driving of the surfaces but more flexible for imaginative mixes. The instructions simply mention the use of 8 servos but the plans are ambiguous.

Although I still have the sad remains which I might rebuild one day, my Slim Twin met an unfortunately solid piece of ground last year after a comparatively short but fun-filled career last year. I suspect that it may have been largely caused by one of the mixes referred to by Chris.

For convenience in starting - and for extra fun in the air - I set a series of mixes that enabled me to lock either engine at idle via a 3 position switch so that I could manipulate the throttle while starting or adjusting the second engine, or cut back an engine in flight for single engine practice and experimentation in silly manouevres.

On one of the horribly windy days we had last year and full of misplaced confidence in the ability of both the model and me to cope with the tricky conditions, I started the engines and taxied out, fighting the crosswind with gratifying results and lined up into wind. I anticipated opening the throttles and seeing the model leap off the ground before the wheels had completed a full revolution but as I opened the throttle the right wing lifted and the model reared up and performed a graceful arc into the ground despite full throttle and opposite aileron having no effect. As far as it was possible to recall, both engines were running and I put it down to an unfortunate gust and insufficient airspeed.

On later reflection, I realised that if I had not centralised the 3 position switch after starting the second [starboard] engine, use of only that engine would have assisted the crosswind taxying and either caused or exacerbated the roll encountered on takeoff. The engines had been power checked individually after starting and I couldn't positively recall having run them up together before taxying out. They were two of the best behaved engines I've ever owned, never missing a beat in flight and always - even from new - having started either first or second reverse flick...they had genuinely never been touched with a starter.

I can't prove or disprove the theory but Murphy's Law has an unfortunate habit of proving itself true at the most inconvenient of times...