Sandow

Advert

I have been thinking about doing my first plan build for a while now, I had plenty of helpful advice and the Sandow seems to fit the bill of an ideal first plan build. I have previously built a Sig Four Star 60 and I am part way through a Deagostini spitfire (got it for a bargain!!)

So far I have studied the plans and build photos and cut out some paper templates of the wing and tail ribs.

I have a small stock of various balsa sheet which should be enough to cut all the wing and tail ribs,

will keep you updated with my progress with some pictures to.

Dean

Thanks Peter, It will be so handy having the main man to pose my questions to seeing as this is my first go.

Well tonight I have managed to cut 2 wing rib blanks from ply and I have roughly cut 11 of the 18 wing ribs ready to be sandwiched together and sanded.

Dean

I have done a bit more to mine today, I have sanded all the ribs to shape and done the cut outs for the spars.

This is all the bits dry fitted together, really chuffed at how good it is all fitting together.

Dean

• 4 weeks later...

OK. You take a piece of 1/16" ply and mark out the rib on it. You can use carbon paper or you can just cut it out of the plan and stick it down. You could also photoocopy it and stick the copy down but DO CHECK that the copy is the same as the original, they can vary.

Cut the ply rib out and stick on a length of scrap 1/4 sq. Push two map pins through the 1/4" sq and just throught the ply rib by the thickness of the balsa ribs.

You can now lay this on your sheet and cut the ribs out. Doing it this way you can interweave the ribs and get the maximum from a sheet.

Hold the ribs together with some scraps of spar material in the spar slots and finish sand to a good match.

Hi Peter a couple of questions for you. (1)The plan shows that there is a requirment to cut 2 off mainspar dihedral bracesx 2 but on the wing plan there is only one showing on the trailing edge of the mainspar, should there be one on the front of the mainspar?. (2) On the plan it show a requirment for1/8 sheet infil flush with the outside face of the fuselage cabin but in th editorial it states that this infil should be flush with the inside. can you clarify?

Dihedral braces. One on top front spar, one on bottom front spar and one on rear spar. and one on the leading edge.

On the plan some of the 1/8" sheet is shown flush with the outside of the sides. This is the forward part.

In the section where the servos are it is flush with the inside so that one can fit doublers to support the servo bearers.

Hope that claifies things

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I just got the plans yesterday arvie. Just a suggestion to the people who make/modify/edit these great plans. Is there a chance you could try to put a list of the materials needed. E.g. X4 1/8" sheets, x3 1/4" sheets etc. would make it alot easier on first time scratch builders like me. Ive only built one kit and it was great. Im on a limited budget but i reckon i could do it as a buy a few bits of balsa this week for the tail, a bit for the fuse etc. do the 4 smaller ribs in the wings and the tail go on the inside/middle to account for the sheeting?

SOme years ago I wrote an article on estimaing the wood needed for a model.

On more than one occasion I have suggested to David that he puts it on the website. Even found the month and year of the issue for him on two occasions.

Pester him and he might just do it as it does seem to be needed as this is a regular request.

It was the JUly 05 issue

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/08/2012 08:09:46

I think this might be the article on estimating wood for a plan build.

Like you Bernard I have a limited budget too. I tend to go after pay day once a month a pick up some wood to keep me going for the month. Great way of spreading the cost out.

Dean