Ebay and posting large models

Alex Woods

Hi guys. Has anyone here posted a large 60 size model before? If so what courier did you use and did you have any problems due to their size? The reason I ask is that I have 2 partially built Hangar 9 models which I am about to list on Ebay (a blue nose P51 and a P40) I usually offer postage with items I list on the bay-due to working long and unsociable hours this is just more convenient for me than arranging collection and I find that my location in the wilds of Norfolk can put potential buyers off. However these models are particularly large and fragile and i'm not sure if this is a good idea or whether I could even find someone to transport them. I dont have the original packaging and the tails have been fitted making packing them more difficult.

Advert

When packaging a model, pack it VERY well.

Expect it to get booted, dropped and things stacked upon it, therefore a strong sturdy box with internal supports/re-inforcement is in order. Pack items individually in bubble wrap and newspaper and check that nothing can move about in the box.

I use UPS via www.parcelsplease.co.uk, they have been the best out of many others that I have used.

What ever price you think it's going to be.......double it. I've sold a few things lately and the postage is a joke. If it's anything thicker than an envelope or heavier than a feather then reckon on at least 3 quid (add more if you want proof of delivery). For any sort of box, I'd be asking 15 quid min for postage. Even then I think you will end up out of pocket.

Somethings are just not worth selling unless the buyer can collect.

Edited By simon burch on 11/06/2012 14:17:14

...or if going to shows, at Weston Park, for example there is a Modelers' Bring and Buy. Put model in there, pay a small fee for admin, settle price and reserve. Leave model, or bits and come back later.

With so many people, you're bound to sell anything (as long as your asking price isn't silly!cheeky)

About 10% comission is charged, but that's for a prime spot - as other staff sell the item for you and they try to keep to your prefered price.

I have just had a 60 size,built plane sent to me. Arrived before 12.00 the next day and the cost was £26.00. The company was citylink. I also had,a few months ago,a pulse xt40 sent through royal mail,next day delivery,cost £20.00. Both planes had no damage from posting.

After spending the day mulling it over I think it seems a bit high risk to post the models. I've decided to list them as collect with a reasonable starting bid. If they dont sell i'll look further into postage and relist them. Thanks for all your advice guys.

• 3 weeks later...