I know mode 1 - Should I learn Mode 2 ?

Flanker .

Hello there folks, a quick question. I have flown fixed wing mode 1 (throt right) for 20 odd years. Just got a nice new Lama hele that is mode 2 (throt left) I am managing to fly it, but dry cells are expensive and it would be easier to use my own TX. (mode 1 ) Thing is I tell myself that it would be good to learn mode two. Has anyone else tried both modes ? I am worried that I might cross my reflexes and stack one of my beloved planes!

I don't propose to open the silly which is best number. I just want to hear some opinions from those who have done what I am trying.

Go well, Flanker  PS I screwd up the title, should be ,Know mode 1 should I learn mode 2!

Can this be fixed? ? 

Advert

Most of my club flies mode 2 but I have been flying for 30+ years and learnt on mode 1, all my fixed wing models are on mode 1 but being a club instructor and examiner I taught myself to fly mode 2 on a trainer type model without breaking it and am now happy with both, but just to confuse matters I also fly helis but using mode 2! - simply because thats the way the heli instructor flew. I recently had a go with a Lama on mode1 and although I managed to fly it, and trim it out, it felt strange and I kept pushing and pulling on the wrong sticks.

To answer your question - if you can get the Lama to work off your own Tx (it will work with Futaba and Hitec but not with JR) then I would do so, but if you want a challange in the future then set a nice stable fixed wing model up on mode 2 and teach yourself to fly it. I find some aerobatic manouvers are easier flying mode 2 and some on mode 2, neither is better and there are plenty of people around who fly modes 3 & 4!

Hope that helps a bit and hasn't confused you more!

Chris

I had an instructor who flew Helis in mode 2 and planks in mode 1. Ive personally never met anybody who has flown helis in mode 1

Flying helis is a different technique to flying fixed wing anyway. I fly in mode 2 for both - Personally I think its pretty cool being able to fly both modes (Chris is cool !)

Your other option is to get your hands on some cheap rechargeables for your Lama tranny. These days you can pick up high capacity ones cheaper than a pack of dry cells!

Al

Now than Alan that is what I call sound advise! Anything that will make me look cool, or cooler in fact, is well, cool.

So Helis on mode 2 and planes on one it is. I have just taken the tranny apart and given the throttle ratchet a good bending so that I do not change head spped when I use the rudder, so I'm more into the esky tranny.

Mind you if I end up going collective then I'm going to have to use my FF9 for all those ccpms pitch curves n suff (what ever they are)

So cheap ni cads, this will be in the UK of course, can you point to any shops ?

Thanks for the help all. Go well F 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to fly mode 1 (throttle right) up to when I stopped model flying 20-25 years ago. Between then and now, I spent quite a few hours (my wife would say too many) on Microsoft Flight Simulator and also had some full size fixed wing and heli lessons. When I eventually came back to RC model flying about 3 years ago, I felt I would feel more comfortable with mode 2 (ie with pitch and roll controls on the same stick). After all, that's what the joystick does in full size, both heli and fixed wing. I had no difficulty, but I'm sure I would have a problem if I now tried to fly mode 1. I read somewhere years ago that mode 1 was introduced to help competition pilots, to separate the roll and pitch controls in order to minimise that chances of inputting a bit of (eg) aileron when only elevator was wanted.

I have a Twister Medevac for indoor flying, which I've found a great help in getting to grips with orientation with my larger 30 ic powered Hawk. Out of curiosity, I thought I'd try my 'normal' Tx instead of the Tx which comes with the Twister. I thought that the exponential functions might give me a bit more control outside when it's not a flat calm. However, forward/aft cyclic on the Tx gives me lateral cyclic in the Twister (I think!). I'm going to experiment with the servo sockets on the Twister Rx. I'll let you know what happens.

Meanwhile, Santa gave me a Thunder Tiger mini-Titan!

Hope I haven't strayed too far from the theme of this thread.

Regards, Hugh