Good Evening, Big Hello..........now I need some advice!

Spannaz

Hello,

Am new to this forum, but not new to forums in general. To me they are invaluable, so i appreciate everyones input, even if it's not what i want to hear, but need to! So a BIG hello to each and everyone that takes the time to read this far!

I have basically come to a point in my plane flying where i need to buy a new frame. My trusted old HZ Super Cub, broke in mid flight during a steep curve. I have as my skill progressed, upgraded her to ailerons, brushless, reinforced her etc, but tonight, she fell to the ground like a dead seagull!! Snapped about every foam part of her, cost to replace foam structure around £60. So time for upgrade maybe?

Now my dilema is, i love flying, but am not always out for maniac stufff, as with this comes the inherant risk of more crashing and more expense. I enjoy just me and a big field and the peace of it all. However, i am not yet ready to bring myself to purchasing and building a model from balsa etc, as if it did crash (hell, it will crash who am i kidding) i probably won't have the heart to repair it. I love the foam, very strong and very easy to repair.

My choice at the moment is take the plunge for something like the Parkzone Spitfire IX or go for the Stinson Relaint from parkzone, which still has the high wing, but i have no experience of either.

LHS is always going to be bias as to whats on their shelf, (says a spitfire is EASY to handle and ideal step up from the Cub) so would like opinions from others that have been down this route, and or have far more experience than me. It HAS to be electric, i ahve kids, glofuel is a big no no (long story but serious accident when younger so don't want it repeated)

i thank you all in advance for your help.

Stuart

Advert

do what i did, go into the model zone shop (oops, gone and mentioned it now) ask to see the sptifire, then ask the assistant what you do if the plane is inverted, and heading for the floor---if he says it comes with an instructional DVD, THEN LEAVE THE SHOP, they know nothing, and should not sell model aircraft that fly, Mulitplex do several good trainers, as do others, i am in engine guy, but there will be some along to help you, one thing, get insured, its cheap, and anyone who does not have ot in this game is a fool--you dont sound like one of those!! i suggest you go along to your local club, they are easy to find, they may even have a club trainer, (we have 2, one engine, one electric) where in the world are you?

Hi Alan and thanks for the reply, yes i am with BMFA uk, so get covered via them, Did this the day i took up Heli flying, but gave that up due to arthritus in my hands. Plane flying however, does not iritate it.

I have contacted a few local clubs, but as a heli flyer, and to be honest.....................all a bit too clichy for me. But thats not to say there is not a local one that IS welcoming. When i was heli flying, the ONLY way to learn safely was via an experienced pilot.

If my plane is inverted and heading for the floor, hopefully i'd have been wise enought not to do this close to the ground........................or me!!! But yes, your right, those sorts of places should be banned from selling these types of things, they are NOT toys. My heli were kept WELL away from the boys, and was always flown safely.

As for the park of england..................the best bit of course.......Kent. Right in a little place some stupid Mayor of London wants to build an airport of all things!!!! Typical!

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 14/06/2012 10:10:46

Hello Stuart and welcome to the forum,

One of my flying mates has the Stinson and he quite often passes his transmitter to me. It is a really nice flying model and this would be the direction I would be going rather than the Spitfire.

The only fault I could see with it is the UC, I don't think it would take a bump being mostly plastic. Its fine if 'greasers' are achieved every time but we all know that just doesn't happen in reality.

The trouble with ARTF models is there is too much choice! my choice of foamie trainer is the ST Discovery. But to be fair they are all good.

Have fun decidingthumbs up

Rich

Thanks guys, alot of new ideas in there.

Yes my concerns with the Stinson do relate to that under carriage, we'd all love perfect landings, but in the real world thats never going to happen. To me any landing that i can pick straight up from and fly again is good!!

I had never thought about the warbirds until the LHS suggested the spitfire as the next thing on from a Cub, dubious i was that it really could be that easy a step, however, the P47 does have a great following and i def a thought.

The multiplex fun club sounds perfect, a little tad pricer than the rest, but you gets what you pays for.........only i can not find anyone that has them in stock. Is there a reason for this does anyone know?

Posted by Richard Harris on 14/06/2012 00:43:56:

Hello Stuart and welcome to the forum,

One of my flying mates has the Stinson and he quite often passes his transmitter to me. It is a really nice flying model and this would be the direction I would be going rather than the Spitfire.

The only fault I could see with it is the UC, I don't think it would take a bump being mostly plastic. Its fine if 'greasers' are achieved every time but we all know that just doesn't happen in reality.

The trouble with ARTF models is there is too much choice! my choice of foamie trainer is the ST Discovery. But to be fair they are all good.

Have fun decidingthumbs up

Rich

Hi Stuart

I'd second that. The Stinson really is a beautiful flying aeroplane. With a bit more power than the Cub, you'll notice the difference and perhaps have a few more aero's at your command yet still have a very relaxing aeroplane when you want it.

David, thats what i am looking for. Something nice and relaxed to fly, but that can progress from where i am now.
My cub was never intended to do what it does, or take the abuse of brushless and aileron G's............and it does show!!!
The cost factor has to be considered.....Kings Lynn have it on special at under 100 beer tokens. All i need is battery, reciever and i am away. All of those come straight out of the cub remains.
There are concerns at landing gear nit being the best, but a little tinkering and i am sure it'll mod fine.
I was all set to buy the spitfire........then saw the stinson and thought..........hmmmmmmm.
Think high wing is still for me.

Alan.....................no to anything in MHZ in this house lol

All of the boys RC cars are running 2.4 ghz trannys as do mine. They are all rpogrammed into my Dx6i that i bought recently for that reason. Prior to that i was using the DX4e that came with thr Cub.

When i had Helis i dont recall seeing anyone that used anything but 2.4ghz, lets face it, you have a buzz saw flying at head height. last thing you need is someones microwave dinner being cooked to have it flying at you!!

The BMFA is a must to fly with Heli's or anything to be honest, just wished their mag was a little more.....................urm............modern lol. But heh ho, things change slowly in some circles.

Now can anyone do anyhign about this bloody awful weather? Or do i need to buy floats for my new plane?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i purchased the Stinson Reliant, got it all setup and have had no decent weather to maiden it!!!

And considering its under carriage, have decided my usual flying spot was a bit too rough, and the nearest suitable concrete runway is a short driver.

So in the mean time, i got on the sim.................practice practice practice!!!!

And guess what.............................?

.....i spent sooo much time flying the im, I fell in love with the Spitfire, and bought that too!!

So now waiting for some decent weather to maiden them both. Kinda made snese as they both use the same power source, but are totally differen beasts to fly.

Ok the sim is not real life, and it's totally different when its sitting there on the ground, but it does give you an insight into how they perform and react to your inputs.

It may all end in disaster.....................it may not. But in the end, i am sure they'll be the grin factor on route!

Now any volunteers to hold the video camera???? lol

Hi Stuart, good luck with the maiden, I was going to suggest the P51 Mustang, it's a pussycat in the air, like you I came from helis and my first plank was a high wing trainer, home made depron, this got me off the ground and taught me how to fly planes but I knew I needed aelorons so that it wasn't too dissimilar from flying the helis, my next plane was a PZ mustang and what a treat to fly, it also looks cool in the air. I recently aquired a Spitfire and consequently did lots of reading up before attempting ROG, well it's true what I read, they aren't the easiest to get off and even harder to land so suggest having a google before attempting to maiden spitty........G

Thanks Glyn, i will bear that in mind and take a good look.

Will maiden the Stinson first, then once i am comfy with that the spit. If it goes wrong, CA glue should fix it lol either that or it'll be used for bits!

Stuart