Futaba Failsafe

Cookson

I tried a search but didn't come up with anything, so sorry if this has already been covered.

I have a Futaba 9Z & have converted it using a Futaba 2.4Ghz module. To run this the 9Z has to be set to PPM mode, now that it is in PPM it appears that I cannot set the F/S, on checking the manual it says that this feature is only available in PCM.

On my WOT4 XL if I turn off the tranny the throttle instead of going to idle, goes to full throttle & I have a 26cc Gas engine in it !!!

I now feel that this model cannot be flown safely.

Am I missing something.

Advert

Well SOMETHING seems to be happening Cooko if the servo moves to full throttle.....which Rx are you using....? The genuine Fuby 617 only has failsafe on the throttle & is set from the Tx......the FrSky clone has failsafe on all 7 channels & is set from the Rx.....

As the good Bob says I haven't used the modules either so not fully conversant with them....

Thats my understanding too Thomas.....the 617 Rx must be going to its default setting on signal loss which unfortunately is driving the throttle servo to fully open....

Cooko, could you rejig the throttle linkage so it works in the opposite sense? My guess is that the Rx will always drive the servo in one direction on signal loss so make sure this is to close the throttle & then use the servo reverse feature/different linkage set up etc to make sure it works OK from the throttle stick....

Alternatively the FrSky Rxs have failsafe on all 7 channels set from the Rx itself.....might using one of these be a solution.....?

Just found this on a google search

The white button on the transmitter module is the dual purpose "Fail Safe disarming"/"range check" button. To turn off the fail-safe, depress the "F/S Range" (disarming) button then turn on the transmitter. This button also serves a dual purpose for range checking before flight.

frown

And now this

The TM-8 transmitter module and R608FS receiver also provides you with a second safety system, the Battery F/S (failsafe). When the airborne voltage drops below 3.8V, the battery failsafe function moves the throttle to a pre-determined position. If this happens, you should land immediately! If you need to increase the throttle for your landing approach, you may temporarily reset the failsafe function by moving the throttle stick to the predetermined position, after which you'll have about 30 seconds of throttle control before the battery function reactivates.

It says provides a second safety system, I'm struggling to find the first ?

Ok, armed with all your input & info found on t'internet I've sorted it.

The white button on the back of the TX module turns the failsafe on & off, it needs to be pressed prior to turning on the TX to switch off the F/S and again to switch on.

Then with the TX & RX on & throttle closed press the RX bind button till red light comes on, release button green light on & throttle will now close when TX turned off.

Seems to only work on throttle tho, a bit dissapointing but at least the throttle cuts.

Thanks fellas.