Galaxy Domino Bipe build

Some pictures of the fuselage for you!

Fuselage covered

Starboard side

Engine installation

Engine installed

You can see the throttle pushrod under the carb on this picture below.

Engine again

Servos, 3 Hitec HS 225BBs. The throttle is connected but the other two are not yet.

Servos

And the tail, with the rudder and elevators hinged but not glued or connected.

Tail

What do you think, and any AUW guesses yet (see above post)?

CS

Advert

Thank you all!

Tony, you are right I bought some pinned hinges since that is my preferance. Because it is a bipe with 4 ailerons I need 19 of them! Covering round the cabanes was not as bad as I thought it would be. Cutting them needs some care and I did need a tab behind one cabane but otherwise it was relatively easy. The cabanes are varnished.

CS

Hi CS

Looking very good and I love the colour sheme. This model is on my wish list at the moment, maybe one for later in the year. It's an absolute bargain at the price as well.

AUW guess (its catching on): 2.612kg

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 07/01/2013 18:30:12

Thanks Dale, hopefully not long to wait!

Posted by Martyn K on 07/01/2013 21:18:07:

What would be nice would be a blue speedbird just behind the engine and above the line on each side..

A nice contrast.

I was thinking about that, since the stripe on the port side is similar to the BA one on the Landor livery. Am I right in thinking you mean the original one as worn on the tail of BOAC planes...

rather than the newer one (first worn by Concorde 216)

I might do, see what covering I have. Thanks a lot, any more suggestions welcome!

CS

(Mmmm!)

When BA was formed from the merger of BOAC and BEA in 1972, the marketing people kept one identifiable item from the parent organisations when the new corporate logo/colour scheme was introduced in (I think) 1974. The quertered union jack (as it was at the time from BEA and the Speedbird from BOAC. I worked for ED (European Division - ex BEA) and there was a big stnk at the time that the red wings from BEA should also have been kept/adopted. A load of nonsense was postulated about the drag of painted wings and that base aluminius would be lower drag (this was the start of the oil crisis and rocketing fuel costs) so the objectors were over-ruled. However, it didn't stop the marketing people painting the wings light grey...

Martyn

Very interesting, thanks Martyn!

Anyway, now all hinges are glued in (and elevators joined before hinging). Next is to connect up all controls, then tail wheel and collets for main undercarriage and she is done. Although if the weather report is right then next weekend will be coated in snow, so I'll put some skis on the Funfly rather than 'my precious'! Not much building to do, exciting but also sad in a kind of way. Any more AUW guesses welcome (look on page 13).

CS

Right then Domino followers.

Nearly there! The Rudder and elevators are done and connected and are nice and smooth, as are the lower ailerons. Today I have fabricated the interplane struts (the sticks inbetween the wings!) out of lite-ply (different from the original design). Some of the same lite ply will be glued into the wing for the struts to screw on to.

They need varnishing and glueing, then the receiver and battery in (at correct place for c of g) need installing and she is done, but if it is snowy at the weekend I will not fly her, stick to the Funfly which is dark green, not white!

CS

The AUW was heavier than you all guessed, 6lbs which is 2.72155kgs. So Dale Gibson was the closest.

The cockpit is open (like the Jester) and also has the switch in. It is varnished,and I have not got the instrument panel on yet but I'll fly it first. The canopy that came with it was quite large, and since I was making the plane look more 'traditional', I went for open (and it is lighter).

Here is a list of all the changes.

• Wooden wing tips rather than plastic
  • 4 ailerons rather than 2
  • Balsa front top deck, with no hatch
  • Wooden stringers and formers for rear top deck rather than plastic
  • Wooden cowl rather than plastic
  • Open cockpit with different inner shape
  • Modified undercarriage plate, and different undercarriage
  • Changes to tail wheel mounting plate
  • Simpler struts

Whenever this weather improves she'll fly, but I do not have a video camera (sorry!). I'll get some air shots instead.

CS

Thanks all.

The AUW sounds heavy, but when you pick up the plane it doesn't feel heavy, and there is plenty of wing area and a large engine so I don't think it'll be a problem. I can't wait to fly her, but I am still not sure I should take control for the first flight. Looking at the ailerons operating she has the potential to be very lively, but I have dual rates.

Here is an interesting comparison between standard (one seen on a previous page) and mine.

CS