Galaxy Domino Bipe build

Advert

Looks like camouflage in all that snow!

Beautiful build......the flying season will soon be upon us yes

I look forward to hearing how she flies smile p

I have this kit in the stash......I must build it soon.......and I am about to pop my biplane cherry with the completion of a Pitts S1 ARTF with a J'en 91 in the nose yes

Edited By Simon Webb on 29/01/2013 18:30:51

• 2 weeks later...

Well the weather yesterday abided (sort of), so she has flown. I let Dad take off, and we had nosing over problems which is because the C of G is too far forwards, when she was up she needed up trim. I took over for the rest of the flight, and she is marvellous. Flies beautifully, very stable, top speed not that high due to drag which I like- but the climb rate is phenomenal, vertical through the clouds, brilliant engine. Aerobatics are excellent, only one flight so further testing on that will be done, but rolls, loops and a stall turn were all lovely. Stall: didn't happen, and I landed her (in a cross wind) which is different to monoplanes, because of drag you have to come in higher but it is very nice, it was a bit hard but she handled it easily, but she did nose over but no hint of any damage.

Engine was faultless, sounded wonderful and gave her so much character, nothing can beat it. Bearings will be changed at some point because this engine should get a lot of use. RX battery will be moved back for C of G, then when she is set up she'll be a superb model which I can see no faults. Looks wonderful, ideal for smaller fields, flies brilliantly and has tonnes of character. All in the car in one piece! Flies differently to a monoplane but not hard, just something to get used to.

The combination of a build ending up with a 45" span Biplane with a four stroke engine is pretty much perfect in my eyes, no matter how many planes I build I don't think I'll get much better, unless I build another Jester this size or Domino (same thing basically). The mods I have made I am very pleased with, looks much nicer in my eye. Very satisfying result, a nice conclusion.

So there we go, job done. Build needed changes but was nice to add some of my features, and a pleasing result so I am delighted. This post will be one of my last, any questions about the plane please PM or just post on this thread as it'll email me. Thank you for watching, I hope you enjoyed it.

CS

Well done CSB....sounds like a great model!!

A good tip with a biplane is to keep a good bit of power on during the landing circuit.....all that drag makes them glide like a housebrick so keep around 1/4 to a 1/3 power & chop to idle as you cross the threshold & let her sink to the ground for a gentlr three pointer.....

Similarly on take off open the throttle slowly & get her rolling.....wacking in full power will always end in a noseover.

You need to fly a biplane from the moment the wheels start rolling to the moment they stop....wink 2

Well done CS, It's good that she flies well, gives me hope for the Jester. I am close to covering The Jester now but all the drying times of filler, PVA and Balsaloc has taken it's toll and slowed me down a bit. I should be able to Wet and Dry sand her to a shine this week and then I can begin Covering. I have decided to go with the Stearman look. See link below for photo

Stearman

smileysmiley Well done CS, I'm really pleased for you mate. Would you be able to let me know where your CG is as I can check mine is simular before my Maiden.

I am just hoping for dryer weather so that I can get access to the field. I'm probably looking at March sad

You made a great job of your plane and I hope you have many years of happy flying with her.

Thank you all, I am very pleased with the aeroplane and I can't wait to fly her again.

Steve, thanks for the reply, Dad did take off so he knew what he was doing and the C of G does need moving back since she needed loads of up trim. Landing was interesting, shutting the throttle was like letting out a parachute but it was not difficult, just different. Dad knows some landing techniques with Bipes which only needs a very short approach from a high altitude, so at some point I'll try that.

Tony, Stearman colours is a possibility for my Jester too, funny that you came up with it too.

Dale- Thanks, but no decent pictures (sorry!).

Roy, when I change the C of G I'll tell you. It was set to plan empty of fuel, so I'll move it back a bit by moving the battery. Good luck for when you fly yours.

CS

• 3 weeks later...

C of G changed, time to go again.

Nosing over problems sorted, needs up elevator on take off which you can release as it speeds up. So now we could get some more time on her. Take off- if you want to- you can just go vertical into the clouds, then once up she is exceptionally smooth but positive with good control response. Aerobatics wise she'll do the book and very nicely, stall turns are particularly good. Comes out of spins the instant you centre the controls. Slow her down and she is still lovely, maintaining good response right till the gentle stall which was very slow. On flight 1 we had a dead stick (too lean) and Dad landed her, no problems there with a good glide if you keep the nose down. Next two flights it was fine and I landed her and now that I am used to it it's easy, two perfect 3 pointers to prove that the plane makes me look good! Looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, flies brilliantly, I cannot ask for more.

This plus a 70 four stroke is a superb combination and the changes I made have made her more attractive to me, a very charismatic aeroplane that I am delighted with.

CS

• 1 month later...

yes Hi CS,

I thought I'd let you know that I maidened the Domino today, she flew really well but needed a lot of rudder the ailerons were not very responsive, So you did the right thing by adding ailerons on the top wing. I am now in the process of cutting the ailerons into the top wing as you have done.

I think my plane needs a little more nose weight so I will add some lead into the cowl.

once this mod is finished she will fly like a dream.

The climb rate was very impressive and inverted flying was good too, again it flys really well at low speed, I was expecting it to tip stall so landing at slowish speeds is fine.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Yours looks really good I am just going to copy your aileron set up.

Cheers

Roy

I have fitted and hinged the ailerons on the top wing and just need to fit the linkages.

Did you use normal control horns for your linkages?

I was going to fit horns top and bottom and have an adjustable clevis on one end? Also I see that you have fitted single servos, I'm just hoping that my one servo will be up for the job. If not I will have to modify the bottom wing and insert single servos.

RM

Aileron joiner

They are simply standard control horns cut so there is only one hole left, the bottom hole. On the bottom one it is attached by an adjustable clevis. It works well, but if you need to take the plane apart then be careful as it can break the horns if you are not careful with the struts. One servo should be alright as long as it is a good servo, putting them in the wing now would take a lot of work, it did for me!

CS